EFMP (Exceptional Family Member Program)

Guest PistolPete21

It looks like there are 20 pediatric cardiologists within 20 miles of March ARB. Plus a hospital 7 miles away that CAN do pediatric heart surgery, (not sure if I would choose to go there as there are better within an hour range) but that should help our case. The problem is that because it is a small base there is actually no EFMP office there at all. I called and the best they could do is give me a number to the med clinic. I am guessing this is going to be a long and painful process.

This is one of those things you want to go straight to the top right away. Find out who the SGH is at your servicing MTF and ask him/her for contact info for your servicing EFMP office.

• 1 year later...

I just got a reassignment due to EFMP.  Anyone have any experience with ADSC extensions?  I recall reading some AFI in the past that I need a minimum of 6 months ADSC up to 24 months for a PCS.  Added wrench is that I am reassigned from C-17 to T-1.  I have 2 years ADSC remaining currently so by the time I would finish PIT/PCS I would have about 15 months remaining (vs 36 months when graduating PIT).  Not looking to extend my commitment if I don't have too.

Thanks!

I just got a reassignment due to EFMP.  Anyone have any experience with ADSC extensions?  I recall reading some AFI in the past that I need a minimum of 6 months ADSC up to 24 months for a PCS.  Added wrench is that I am reassigned from C-17 to T-1.  I have 2 years ADSC remaining currently so by the time I would finish PIT/PCS I would have about 15 months remaining (vs 36 months when graduating PIT).  Not looking to extend my commitment if I don't have too.

Thanks!

I guess the first question is do you want to PCS?

Others can give you deal with PIT and ADSC but the bottom line is that you need enough retainability for the assignment. Your typical CONUS to CONUS PCS ADSC is 24 months. If you have less than that and do not want the assignment then you can decline on the PCS RIP that you get.

That is not to say that the AF cannot force you to take the assignment by waiving the PCS ADSC or a limited number of other options, IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

13 hours ago, Herk Driver said:

I guess the first question is do you want to PCS?

Others can give you deal with PIT and ADSC but the bottom line is that you need enough retainability for the assignment. Your typical CONUS to CONUS PCS ADSC is 24 months. If you have less than that and do not want the assignment then you can decline on the PCS RIP that you get.

That is not to say that the AF cannot force you to take the assignment by waiving the PCS ADSC or a limited number of other options, IIRC.

Herk Driver,

The PCS is for the needs of my family.  It will get services started again for my son than have been eliminated for the past 7 months and not expected to get services back here for a minimum of another 6 months.  The T-1 is a must fill for our base so I don't mind taking it if it isn't going to extend my ADSC, which ultimately extends my retirement date.

13 hours ago, Mox said:

Herk Driver,

The PCS is for the needs of my family.  It will get services started again for my son than have been eliminated for the past 7 months and not expected to get services back here for a minimum of another 6 months.  The T-1 is a must fill for our base so I don't mind taking it if it isn't going to extend my ADSC, which ultimately extends my retirement date.

PIT will extend your ADSC - some more information in the ADSC thread

• 1 year later...

Thread revival! I was just picked up for school as an alternate and only have a few weeks to report. I filled out the special needs screener with all negative responses. Apparently they reviewed the med files for my kids and decided they should be enrolled in EFMP because they "require" an annual ophthalmology appointment. In reality, they saw the ophthalmologist who said that everything looks normal, they just need glasses and a new prescription each year. My options appear to be to enter them into the program or engage in a lengthy fight through the chain of command that will put my assignment at risk. My kids are active and healthy, and I wouldn't hesitate to enroll them in the program if they actually needed specialty care. Any wisdom to share on how to quickly defeat this buffoonery?

Thread revival! I was just picked up for school as an alternate and only have a few weeks to report. I filled out the special needs screener with all negative responses. Apparently they reviewed the med files for my kids and decided they should be enrolled in EFMP because they "require" an annual ophthalmology appointment. In reality, they saw the ophthalmologist who said that everything looks normal, they just need glasses and a new prescription each year. My options appear to be to enter them into the program or engage in a lengthy fight through the chain of command that will put my assignment at risk. My kids are active and healthy, and I wouldn't hesitate to enroll them in the program if they actually needed specialty care. Any wisdom to share on how to quickly defeat this buffoonery?

I have a kid in EFMP and I fought the battle and it was unwinnable against that system. The only interaction with EFMP I’ve had in the last 3 years since it occurred is deleting the robot emails about EFMP events. Problem is, there is no discriminator for severity. My kid with asthma which she has since outgrown gets treated the same as a kid with severe medical needs as far as categorizing. EFMP is broke.

Fight.  Everyone needs something medically every year, and seeing an eye doc on glasses is nothing "Special."  EFMP is for those that require specific special care like a Developmental Pediatrician or many of the therapist types that may be hard to find.  If you filled out the screener saying no, then that should be it.  Roll in with the boss on the lunacy and this could work its way out in no time.  Also, ask for a reg reference saying you have to enroll.  BTW, EFMP approval process for PCS is excruciatingly painful and slow.  We ended up disenrolling (no small feat) as we knew better what we needed and how to get it.

Good luck

Out

Great program if your kiddos/frau need it, though.  It’s ridiculous that it’s a compulsory program—parents should have a vote on need.

There must be funding tied to enrollment numbers, because they tried to get us to enroll for one kid’s eyeglasses.  We were, however, forced into EFMP for minor physical therapy that finished before we departed.  Now have to go through the disenrollment debacle.

1 hour ago, gimmeaplane said:

Great program if your kiddos/frau need it, though.  It’s ridiculous that it’s a compulsory program—parents should have a vote on need.

There must be funding tied to enrollment numbers, because they tried to get us to enroll for one kid’s eyeglasses.  We were, however, forced into EFMP for minor physical therapy that finished before we departed.  Now have to go through the disenrollment debacle.

I would say mandatory enrollment is because there are service members that are more concerned about their career and specific assignments then enduring quality care for their dependents.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LookieRookie said:

I would say mandatory enrollment is because there are service members that are more concerned about their career and specific assignments then enduring quality care for their dependents.

That is a sad thing.   But probably true.

On 6/21/2018 at 10:18 PM, frog said:

Thread revival! I was just picked up for school as an alternate and only have a few weeks to report. I filled out the special needs screener with all negative responses. Apparently they reviewed the med files for my kids...

sounds like a HIPAA violation - did you give someone permission to view your kids' medical records?  Especially after you answered in the negative on the screener, they would have no "need to know" justification to review the records.  I would fight it.

They held our orders hostage, and we lost the battle at the group level. They Q coded them beforehand the discussion was even over. I'm pretty pissed. We have a follow up with the off-base doctor this week to see if he really thinks all of this is necessary. Unless there is some serious medical complication that we aren't aware of, I'm hoping he can write some magic words so that we can disenroll them. More bureaucracy that has run amuck. The real lesson for me is to tell my Airmen to NEVER sign EFMP paperwork against their will without talking to the First Sergeant. It's a shame that a program with good intent can be executed so ineptly.

22 hours ago, frog said:

They held our orders hostage, and we lost the battle at the group level. They Q coded them beforehand the discussion was even over. I'm pretty pissed. We have a follow up with the off-base doctor this week to see if he really thinks all of this is necessary. Unless there is some serious medical complication that we aren't aware of, I'm hoping he can write some magic words so that we can disenroll them. More bureaucracy that has run amuck. The real lesson for me is to tell my Airmen to NEVER sign EFMP paperwork against their will without talking to the First Sergeant. It's a shame that a program with good intent can be executed so ineptly.

I wonder if you could say, "My wife and kids left me for the milkman. I'll be picking up my orders tomorrow. " 

Sorry about your assignment.

If the names are on the orders, doesnt matter how many milkmen are involved.

One more thing and I didnt think much of at at the time, but a doc we were seeing (military) handed us our kids medical records. Not the "hey, turn these in" kind of give, but here, these belong to you and your kids, use them as you see fit.  Puzzling at the time, but helped later on with leaving EFMP.  BTW, all kid issues were overcome and nobody would ever know what we had to work through if you met them today.

Side short story. Wife made lots of contacts regarding local specialty treatment services while kid was getting help. She talked with EFMP about all these resources as we were about to PCS and was quite agitated that they had no clue on what existed in their own area.  

Out

I wonder if you could say, "My wife and kids left me for the milkman. I'll be picking up my orders tomorrow. " 
Sorry about your assignment.

I actually PCS’d overseas without command sponsorship on my orders because EFMP didn’t think my daughter could get medical care. I had to show my gaining boss I could support my kid without the USAF and he approved it as EFMP had f-cked him over as well.

When I showed up overseas the med clinic screened my kid for 5 min and said it was no problem.

5 min to undo what we fought for 2 months after they yanked our assignment 20 min after getting q-coded.

• 4 years later...
8 hours ago, Internationalmesa said:

Question for y’all, is there a list of issues that disqualify OCONUS for dependents? I can’t find much online 

Have you looked at DoDI 1315.19.  Section 3 has a list of conditions, though it seems rather vague, which may be a good thing.  

Edited by SocialD

3 hours ago, SocialD said:

Have you looked at DoDI 1315.19.  Section 3 has a list of conditions, though it seems rather vague, which may be a good thing.  

Thank you! That helps. My soon to be wife had a significant back surgery 5 years ago. No follow ups or anything needed. Maybe something down the road though if it got out of place. But was curious to see if that would disqualify our current OCONUS trip.

Just now, Internationalmesa said:

Thank you! That helps. My soon to be wife had a significant back surgery 5 years ago. No follow ups or anything needed. Maybe something down the road though if it got out of place. But was curious to see if that would disqualify our current OCONUS trip.

^looking at what qualifies, it looks like only once a year check ups or more would made it an issue

15 hours ago, Internationalmesa said:

Question for y’all, is there a list of issues that disqualify OCONUS for dependents? I can’t find much online 

EFMP will check with the gaining doctor who gets to decide if they can support, so it’s very doctor and location dependent. The whole process is kind of a joke for some of the stuff people get denied for.

5 hours ago, Internationalmesa said:

Hope your wife's back has healed nicely!   We had an AD guy get an EFMP assignment to my Guard squadron...so anything is possible.  

4 hours ago, MCO said:

EFMP will check with the gaining doctor who gets to decide if they can support, so it’s very doctor and location dependent. The whole process is kind of a joke for some of the stuff people get denied for.

How long does the process typically take to get approved or not? And is the screening just to get the individual on the EFMP list? Or is it a physical and everything 

2 hours ago, Internationalmesa said:

How long does the process typically take to get approved or not? And is the screening just to get the individual on the EFMP list? Or is it a physical and everything 

From my experience, going to largely depend on the issue that gets flagged, if any. They'll usually start by reviewing your family's records once selected for overseas assignment. If there is something in there that meets EFMP criteria, they will flag it. In my sons case it was speech development which is pretty common in children under 5 since its hard to measure. In that case, tricare paid a speech pathologist to come out to our house and analyze him. He was fine, and cleared, we got our orders a bit later. Total process can take ~4-6 months so you should start it as soon as you get assignment notification for overseas. 

Whether or not the gaining base can support the individual is dependent on local care options and services. Because of bureaucracy, even modern countries like Germany or Korea can be difficult to approve. This is because even though services might be available locally, they might not be tricare approved or other BS.