FC1 Physical Information

Guest Ragansundowner

Guest F16PilotMD

Some can do FAA exams. They have to have gone through the process of becoming FAA examiners. Likely, someone in the shop will be able to do it (sts).

Guest jetskiing

I am just curious if anyone can tell me the length of an FC1 medical...I am leaving for Brooks soon and just want to make sure I am good to go...I couldn't find any information on their website...Thanks!

4 days. Day 1 you get to San Antonio airport and chill in the USO lounge waiting for the rest of your group if you're like me. Then you check into your room that night and roam around base. Day 2 and 3 are very busy with your physical. At the end of day 2 your group will usually venture downtown to the river walk. Be sure to check out the Mad Dog Pub and say hello to the girls for me. Day 4 is either medical re-checks and/or chest x-ray and then going home. Be sure to take sweats with you as the waiting room is very chilly. Any more questions, PM me and I'll be glad to fill you in.

Guest jetskiing

Thanks for the info on Brooks, but specifically I am looking on how long my medical is valid for...I had it 2 years ago and I am curious if I need to get a new one! Thanks

At least I was half (assed) right. Knew it was 3 years because I actually had to renew once...

Once you're there the standards are lower to start/stay in the program.

Can't wait 'til I get to that point...I'm so tired of fuqing with Brooks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest comanche

I took my IFC1 March 10th. It still hasn't been sent to however it goes to HQ I think. Does it usually take this long to get it sent off? I know there is a 2 month wait once it is sent, but does it take 2 months to get it sent off?

Thanks,

Comanche

Guest grsckoro

I haven't heard of a 2 month wait for it to be sent. Mine got sent within a week. Give them a call and make sure they haven't misplaced it and see if you can find out when it'll be sent off. You have too look out for it yourself! Always follow up on it.

Good luck!

Guest SkoolBusVMI04

The whole approval process for my IFC1 took a solid 8 months. Most of it was spent waiting for signatures at the unit before it went off to Brooks. I was calling my medical unit weekly trying to nudge it along. As was said before, you have to keep the pressure on - you'd be surprised how short term their memories can be!

Guest DougFisher

Anyone know if they conduct a Neitz Anomaloscope for the FC1A physical?

Also, is being deuteranomalous a disqualiying factor for the 1A? Basically, how strict are they on color vision?

Guest GooneyBird

On the FC1 physical they'll use the Ishihara or Dvorine color vision plates. I believe you are allowed to miss up to 4 on each test.

Guest doctidy

Anomaloscope is a FC I (pilot training) instrument only done by Brooks. FC IA physicals just get the plates.

Color vision is just a huge issue now. Being a deuteranope is certainly disqualifying. We've got color displays in cockpits and expanding into more and more aircraft. There is just so much information that needs to be conveyed to the pilot and color seems to be the current medium of choice.

• 9 months later...

Fasting.....um.....wouldn't recommend it. It's not going to help you. Regarding advice, get a good nights sleep, eat a healthy breakfast and other than that, everything is out of your control. If there is something wrong with you that would warrant a DQ, they WILL find it....no way around that. If you're borderline for vision, do a few exercises the night before that you can find online. Also give magic eye a shot if you're worried about the depth perception test. Best of luck to you.

Guest chrarm80

Just don't worry about it. Stay relaxed. There's nothing you can do to change the outcome. I needed a waiver and it all worked out in the end. I can't think of anything that you could do to change the results other than staying calm and relaxed (for blood pressure).

Guest jriggoMOANG

Just out of curiosity, when you get your blood pressure taken, if it is way to high will they retest it? The reason I ask is because I have "White Coat Syndrome". For some reason when ever I see a doc, my bp soars! After about 5-10 mins I usually read about 30-45 points lower. Just curious if that is something I should tell them when I go for my FC1? Thanks

Guest chrarm80

I was nervous and had my blood pressure a little high when I had it taken. I can't say this happens everywhere, but the guard unit that I had my physical done with took it until it was low enough (I believe 3 times). He asked me if I usually have high blood pressure and I said no. He said ok we'll take it and see if it goes down. He had me sit there and relax and it did.

Guest falcon84

My heart rate and blood pressure were high. The staff was surprised that I was still alive when they were taking it (I must say that the staff was very nice). They did it again (manually) and everything was fine. I think it was a combination of being nervous and the machines that they used. Some advise...have them do your heart rate and blood pressure manually. The machines that they use are wacky....at least for my case.

Fasting is a must, they ask you a couple times to make sure you didn't eat anything and if something comes back unusal in your blood work you have to fast again the second day.

As for the blood pressure, if it is high they will re-test you and tell you to relax. Some people have been put into seperate rooms and told to relax and lay down for a hour or so to get the blood pressure lowered.

Good Luck at Brooks. It really isn't that bad

[ 27. January 2006, 16:32: Message edited by: XQSME ]

Guest comanche

For high BP I was told to take 5 deep breaths right before they did it. This was by a FAA doc, and it lowered it about 5 to 10 points. For my IFC-1 I cut back on sodium for about 5 days before.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest priorAF

Hey, Ive looked for this but I have a few questions about the FC1. Really just FYI stuff. I've read that they xray your chest. I was just wondering what they are looking for on this test because I didn't think anything wrong with your heart would show up on an xray. Oh yeah and why do they dillate your eyes? SOrry if they are stuid questions, I was just wondering. Thanks

priorAF,

Yes, they dilate eyes. I am neither smart nor sober enough to give details but suffice it to say they get a better reading.

Yes, you'll have a chest x-ray, but scoliosis won't necessarily show up there.

All you really need to know is to eat well, then fast 12 hrs prior, get rest, and have a good attitude/exercise patience throughout the day.

Guest priorAF
Originally posted by sleepy:

priorAF,

Yes, they dilate eyes. I am neither smart nor sober enough to give details but suffice it to say they get a better reading.

Yes, you'll have a chest x-ray, but scoliosis won't necessarily show up there.

All you really need to know is to eat well, then fast 12 hrs prior, get rest, and have a good attitude/exercise patience throughout the day.

So how do they check your spine for scoliosis and imperfections?

They dilate your eyes so that they can run some more tests - one of which is to check if you've had Lasik surgery - which is disqualifies you.

Ya, that dilation - that was fun. Can hardly read anything. But it was a great excuse to wear sunglasses indoors.

[ 18. February 2006, 13:53: Message edited by: Hotel ]