Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) Certificate

SUX

Have you tried calling Cobra Kai? Me and 3 other bros from the squadron got our ATPs there 2 weeks ago. They are busy, so that may explain the delay in returning e-mail, but they are not a fly by night operation. I would try to call as well. 2 former German ENJJPT IP's. The Baron is a nice plane to fly and all of us felt very well prepared for the check ride.

A buddy of mine and I just did Kobra Kai back in July and would recommend it.  You don't get a type rating, but it was quick and got the job done.  Day one-academics Day two-you fly and then watch your buddy fly from the back. Day three-same as day two. Day four checkride.  There was a lot of information crammed into a week, but they did a great job preparing you for the checkride.  I'm currently in RPA's and got an extra ride to warm my hands up on day one, so they're accommodating.   All of the students were used to planes with much more automation, but we all were well prepared for the checkride.  If they don't answer your email, I'd definitely call them. Martin is the lead instructor there and he'll get back to you or usually answer when you call.

I have $1500 of block time (use for aircraft/instructor time) left that I am not going to use at Encore Flight Academy (Van Nuys, CA).  I'll sell it for $1000.  PM me if you want it.  They fly Piper Seminoles for the ATP, also have single engine airplanes.  They are not the most full service ATP school out there, but they are CHEAP, check out their rates online.  Expect to check with Mark Boss.

• 2 weeks later...

Just completed at Downtown Aviation. I thought it was the most enjoyable day of flying I've had in a while.

If you have any small-ish twin time (I'm a prior MEI, buddy flew MC-12s) you absolutely don't need more than 1 practice flight, anywhere you go. More would be a waste of money, unless you have a dick for an examiner.

If you've only flown fighters or airplanes that don't fly like airplanes (17s), you might want a couple rides.

PM for any other thoughts, I couldn't imagine any other flight school offering a better deal. They have several slots left before the end of July, but are just about booked completely.

12 months is what I used for the 737NG sim. It would have been less for the legacy, but I believe they've stopped offering that since allatps has taken over.

The math HPA gave me was this:

B737NG is $14,495

GI Bill max payment (2015) is $11,562.86/12 = $963.57/mo

$14,495/$963.57 = 15 months of benefits

They also said they don't have the classic anymore. K&S is cheaper and still has the 737 Classic for under $9k. So about 9 months of benefits.

I was going to go with K&S until I found out I don't meet 61.64 as a turboprop guy going for a turbojet rating. Will receive a 737 type subject to PIC limitations - SWA [still lists] types without restrictions or circling approaches vmc only (https://swa.pilotcredentials.com/?a=qualifications) if you have the type.

Edited by Hotel
clarification

I thought SWA did away with the type requirement to get hired.

As far as I know - they did. If there is no requirement than just having a type should be an extra box to help one in the rack-and-stack at HR. So, not sure why the reference to it on pilotcredentials or why it would matter what kind of limitation one had on the 737 type. I do not have any SWA contacts at HR/Training to ask for clarification.

Found this on SWA's website...

Certificates/Ratings: U.S. FAA Airline Transport Pilot Certificate. Unrestricted U.S. Type Rating on a B-737 not required for interview, but required for employment1. "B-737 CIRC.APCH.-VMC ONLY" limitation is accepted.

A Candidate may apply without a B-737 Type Rating. If a candidate interviews and successfully completes the entire selection process, he/she has six months from the date to obtain a B-737 Type Rating to be eligible for hire. 

People are leaving SWA for Delta. Anecdotal.

People leave everywhere for ______.  Everyone has their reasons--basing a big one for many people.  Some folks leave SWA because of expected long upgrade times.  Doesn't mean it's not a great place.  

Get a job then get another offer then get picky.

True story. The best airline today may furlough you tomorrow and you may be crawling to a buddy to help get a job at airline x.

Heard earlier today that 8/22 in a current SWA class don't have the type. Also anecdotal, but things seem to be trending in that direction.

We had six non-types in my class who were paired up for the oral/sim portion. After the main academics portion ended, they got two days of type ride oral prep before going in for the test.  They then go through the same sim regimine as everyone else in preparation for the final proficiency check with an LCA.  The biggest difference is the non-type folks are required to demonstrate taxi and a rejected T/O from the left seat as well as a non-standard configuration approach and landing from the right seat.  Like most of the training at SWA it seemed pretty low threat.

People are leaving SWA for Delta. Anecdotal.

There were three DAL poolies in my class all of whom got their desired domiciles (BWI, MDW, PHX) on the very first vacancy bid out of OE and will never have to commute (insert standard airline industry caveat here).  Pluses and minuses at every company, but when something works for you, go with it.  We'll figure out who made the best choice in 30 years.  :beer:

I did my ATP Checkride today with the Cobra Kai program in Wichita Falls.  I passed and I am now drinking beer.

I honestly don't think you are going to get better instructors for the money.  They are all ex-ENJPT dudes and know how to make things happen quickly.  

The plane is a Baron, and is more expensive and better performing than a duchess.  I am a viper dude and had a multi from back in college--it helped slightly.  The program is fast (2 flights) and a ground eval review the morning of the check.  I did not feel 100% going into the check!  But, they will tell you that is the norm.  Another viper group went recently and one dude said he was 100% prepped. I don't know how but each guy is different.  The profile is busy...but manageable.  Based on what the FAA requires I don't think you could have a better setup than Cobra Kai.  KCWC is uncontrolled and zero hassle.  KDUC is the field you do approaches at.  No big deal as far as traffic goes.  

It is a challenge, but the guys have a fairly good idea what the standard is and won't send you to test if you don't meet it.  My 2nd flight was not so great and I was seriously losing sleep over it, but no issue on the check.  

Contacting these guys is the hard part.  Bare bones (ish) operation with no receptionist.  The lead instructor told me the best way is to email direct from their website and request dates and fill out the forms.  Sounds like they are booked until/through March.  

I would repeat this again--but it ain't easy on the stress-meter.  I think the best deal going is the higher power 737/ATP.  Controlled WX, profile, etc.

PM me if you need more info 

Edited by epsilon

At HPA right now. I can say it's a good program so far. Run by almost all Retired SWA Pilots/former military.

Did you have any issues with the T-6s operating out of KDUC?

Completed my ATP at Tulsa Community College a couple weeks ago. To echo all of the other reviews on here, overall it was a great course for a great price (~$2500 including flight time, examiner fee, gas, hotel). They have a newer model Seminole with a G500, and they are setup to "teach to the test" - exact words from their chief pilot. They love us military pilots since we show up more or less instrument proficient and are able to get thru all of the training in 1-2 flights, and then press to check.

Couple LIMFACs to be aware of:

1) Aircraft availability - only 1 plane currently, they are working on getting another leased with a G1000. I had to mx canx flying on my first day due to a shredded alternator, and it took about a day to fix.

2) Evaluator availability - the DPE is a Southwest check pilot with an extremely busy schedule, due to supposedly being the only ATP-qual'd DPE in all of Oklahoma. She only schedules 2 weeks out prior to the next month. However, she is an awesome pilot, extremely knowledgeable and fair.

They are all full up until January, but PM me for evaluator/TCC contact info to schedule.

For Cobra Kai:  I paid $2,650 plus an additional $200 for an extra .5 I flew on the 2nd sortie because I boned up the single engine GPS approach and had to repeat.  Then, a $550 examiner fee.  Hotel was off base at a courtyard marriot for about 80 bucks a night with a flight school rate (good bar, food and lounge area for group study).  $280 round trip on SWA from PHX.  Whatever.  I'm deploying for 7.5 months.  Don't care at this point.

Anyone been to Downtown Aviation in Memphis lately?  Looking for gouge/study guides.  They've added a Piper Twin Comanche so gouge specific to that would be helpful.

Please PM if you can help, thanks!

Did you read the gouge they sent you? Read that and Google twin Comanche numbers and you'll do great (if you actually study).

Not sure what you're going to do with all that money you're not spending on your ATP...I'd bet it on Red.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished my ATP at TCC also. I'll second  what Jango said about TCC. After talking with the chief pilot Robert, which he has been pushing for a second plane, their best bet is to have guys who went through tell the school they need a second plane. He could keep his planes and instructors busy with just the ATP guys till the end of July. There is a second Seminole across the ramp that they will rent if their's goes down for mx when guys are there if it's open. But supper easy and Jennifer was great to check with. Pm me if you want more details, they have openings from Feb on currently. I was the first guy they had book almost 2 months out. But they are starting to book up. No wait list yet like Memphis but I expect it to get busier as the time gets closer.

Just finished 737 type and ATP at Higher Power in Dallas. Feel free to PM me with any questions. I would be more than happy to help.

Just finished at Memphis - great place, highly recommend it.  We flew the Duchess - my impression was that's the only plane they do ATP in; never heard anything about flying a Comanche.  Overall the gouge is pretty good and the 2ish hours of academics we got the first morning was sufficient to clean up anything that was missing or unclear in the gouge.  If anyone wants further info or the gouge, let me know.