Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) Certificate

SUX

But that was because your King Air training was conducted by a commercial contractor, to ATP PTS standards, with a check airman on board, no? Or did the FAA ride along on your MC-12 INIT check?

Correct.

In order to get the ATP from Flight Safety, you had to show up to the IQT course with your testing already complete, then they would just tack on a few extra maneuvers to your instrument check in the sim (Vmca demo, single engine refusal, etc). If you didn't have the hours or the test done, it was a regular old instrument checkride, with a nice little type rating thrown in there.

I know a few guys who were able to get their ATP and a 747-400 type back when the Air Borne Laser (ABL) was a test program at Edwards. Shockingly, none of them are in the Air Force anymore.

I ran into a couple of bros from San Antonio at a restaurant after they just finished with their ATP. That restaurant was in Memphis.

There may be options near San Antonio. I know that there were options up in the FL panhandle while I was ast Moody, but I chose to drive the 8 hours to Starkville, MS.

Go where the intel leads you.

I've been hearing good things about Cobra Kai in Wichita Falls. 5-6 hours from SAT, right?

Couple of former ENJJPT IPs and a fair DPE from what I hear.

I drove to Memphis from San Antonio. There are closer places, but what's more of a hassle, driving mindlessly for a few extra hours, or pitching into an unknown/potentially more difficult/expensive ATP program?

I can't speak to Cobra Kai's program, but I will tell you that there are a significant number of people (20+ that I know of) who live here in Wichita Falls and have driven to Memphis based on comparing the two programs for price and duration. One of my buds asked one of the Cobra Kai instructors (a former SPS T-6 IP) if he'd considered reducing his price to at least be competive with Memphis, and they refused. So you have a large number of folks who are driving 8.5 hours each way and spending at least two nights in a hotel rather than do it local. That ought to tell you something.

And in case I haven't previously posted it here, I put together a packet with a lot of good gouge for Memphis (way more than what they send you). I would post it publicly here, but it exceeds the attachment limits, so PM me with a personal e-mail if you're interested.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the info, Toro.

For everyone's SA, Downtown Aviation is booked through November.

Damn, I'm glad I got mine done last month. My buddy and I scheduled 2-3 months out. I guess the rush is now on to get scheduled before the written expires. Edited by Herk Driver

I just got an email from Downtown Aviation saying they added a Piper Twin Comanche to their fleet. It looked like they've had some MX issues with their normal plane.

right now Cobra Kai in Wichita Falls has openings in July. I am probably going to go that route just because I have some commitments in October/November like having a baby and moving. The sooner the better and as long as they are legit, I don't mind paying a little extra to get it done sooner. They said that it is 100% pass rate- takes about 4 days and 6.5 hours of flight time. $2800

I don't think that's starting from nothing. I need the 30 hrs of ground instructions, and 10 hours of sims because I'm lazy and didn't do the written. However, I wouldn't be opposed to doing all 46.5 hours in 4 days. That averages out to 37.5 minute days shorter than I'm working now. It'd be a mini vacation.

I don't think that's starting from nothing. I need the 30 hrs of ground instructions, and 10 hours of sims because I'm lazy and didn't do the written. However, I wouldn't be opposed to doing all 46.5 hours in 4 days. That averages out to 37.5 minute days shorter than I'm working now. It'd be a mini vacation.

Dude... You're going to be the first guinea pig. Good luck.

How you guys keep talking about Cobra Kai without Karate Kid references is beyond me.

It already is a karate kid reference... Go to their website, it talks about "training your mind"... Wax on, wax off.

It's just an advertising gimmick though. I did my ATP there and they don't have any sort of breakthrough methods. Their IPs are former AF IPs (some US, some German)... So they're very mil friendly.

Like Toro mentioned earlier, they are more expensive than Downtown.

I chose them over Downtown because I live in WF and sleeping in my own bed appealed to me. So did not risking an extra night's hotel cost because of WX. Other things that weighed into my decision were the fact that Cobra Kai gives two training flights prior to the check, where Downtown only gives one (Cobra Kai uses that to justify the price difference, but even if calculated per hour, they're more expensive). I didn't feel like I was well prepared for the check after just one, but was fine after two... But I also admit that KNOWING I was going to get a second flight might have played into it (sort of a mental "I'm halfway prepared" kind of thing after the first... I don't know that the second flight had any significant impact on my ability beyond extra confidence).

As a current ENJJPT IP, I will state that lots of my bros choose to drive to Memphis to save money by using Downtown.They all have great things to say about the program there.

Both supposedly have a 100% pass rate, and from what's posted here, they seem to be the top two "mil friendly" places in the country.

Choose whichever one suits you, just get it done.

Or... wait until Sky_King passes the gouge on how big of an ass pain the new method is.

• 1 month later...

Just Completed the practical portion of the ATP at Sanders Aviation in Jasper Alabama. I had Sam as my instructor and Gordo was the evaluator (he owns Sanders). Great program, I finished in 3 days (they asked for a 5 day block to have slop for wx days). 3 flights with 3 sandbags prior to the check. Being a Herk guy, I was amazed what a Garmen 430 can do for ya! Total flight time in the seat was 6.7 (in a Beach TravelAir). You can stay in a trailer right behind the hanger for $20 a night. Cost $4k.

PM me for any more specifics. I would recommend to anyone looking. Safe Flying!