Palace Chase info

Guest ecutch

10 hours ago, HEFOE P said:

Same questions, second verse...if my "initial" ADSC is expired (UPT), is it easier to get out of my PCS ADSC?

I have this same question^. Since it says "initial ADSC" I would imagine you can apply right when you PCS, even with 2 years remaining on a PCS ADSC since that isn't your "initial ADSC", but I do wonder if that's the case...

To try to answer your first question, based on the AFI (36-3205), as long as you completed 2/3 of that initial ADSC then you are able to apply for Palace Chase...but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will be accepted. However, with the expanded palace chase program @pawnman posted about above, I could see the AF more apt to accepting applications with more years remaining

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, HEFOE P said:

Is there any maximum palace chase time?  The AFI says that you must serve 2/3 of your "initial" ADSC, but outside of that...what prevents you from requesting 2yrs off your ADSC?

2/3 of 10yrs = 6.666 years (repeating of course)

So, can I PC with 3 years remaining on my initial UPT ADSC?
I feel confident the answer is "no"...but why?

Same questions, second verse...if my "initial" ADSC is expired (UPT), is it easier to get out of my PCS ADSC?

Nothing prevents you from requesting it...it's just not going to get approved.  Typically you can get 6 months approved and not much more.  Guess we'll see if the manning is healthy enough to start approving people farther out.

Is there any maximum palace chase time?  The AFI says that you must serve 2/3 of your "initial" ADSC, but outside of that...what prevents you from requesting 2yrs off your ADSC?

2/3 of 10yrs = 6.666 years (repeating of course)

So, can I PC with 3 years remaining on my initial UPT ADSC?
I feel confident the answer is "no"...but why?

Extremely common misunderstanding. Initial ADSC is the first ADSC you pick up: the commissioning ADSC. After that there may be other restrictions in the palace chase AFI, but 2/3 of 5 or 4 is the first hurdle. Next hurdle would be getting hired when you’re so young in your pilot career (maybe).
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Another PC question, wondering what the odds are (haven't submitted anything, just planning right now):

3 months off UPT ADSC

12 months off PCS ADSC

I'm guessing the first one wouldn't be a huge deal, but the PCS ADSC might be. I'd be going to a unit that I'm a current / qualified IP in within AETC. Not co-located though; I'm basically doing a staff job at my current base and going TDY back to my previous unit to fly for a week per month.

I think you have a decent shot, especially if this is just around the corner. It’ll take the AF another year before they say, “WTF, I thought the airlines were all out of business and we had zero retention problem!”

Edited by brabus

• 1 month later...

Hey ya'll, working my way through reading this thread as I get my PC application in order. Am a 11M IP currently an AETC IP, got passed over for major on my first look a couple months ago. UPT ADSC is April 2024, thinking about getting into a reserve unit of my mobility MWS. Only other ADSC is TA usage.

Working on my justification letter, first off, what's the best format for that: my ISR just said "Use the Tongue and Quill," so I'm assuming it's the personal letter format addressed to SAF/PC?

Is it within that letter that I ask for months off of ADSC, or is that on a different part of the application? I know most of the time only 6 months is waived, but hoping to get more, would a justification along the lines of "please waive 12+ months of UPT ADSC with my PC so that I can continue to serve in the AFR and not get a 6+ year reserve ADSC, else I'll probably get passed over again and separate next year" (obviously more formal wording)?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone have experience with a Palace Front after being picked up with a UPT slot? 

I am currently 3.5 years into my 4 year active duty contract as an enlisted aircrew member and just got picked up to fly heavies at my local guard base. Since I am so close to finishing out my contract (April) I figured a Palace Front would be the best course of action. I have not heard much from my unit after getting selected but I want to get the ball rolling on this. They did say that they wanted to work with my current squadron to send me on a permissive TDY to Wright Patt for my FC1, but I want to get my ducks in a row so that I don't end up getting separated from Active Duty and have to re-start the enlistment process and go through MEPS again. Has anyone been in a similar situation?

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/25/2021 at 3:19 AM, B747CSO said:

Does anyone have experience with a Palace Front after being picked up with a UPT slot? 

I am currently 3.5 years into my 4 year active duty contract as an enlisted aircrew member and just got picked up to fly heavies at my local guard base. Since I am so close to finishing out my contract (April) I figured a Palace Front would be the best course of action. I have not heard much from my unit after getting selected but I want to get the ball rolling on this. They did say that they wanted to work with my current squadron to send me on a permissive TDY to Wright Patt for my FC1, but I want to get my ducks in a row so that I don't end up getting separated from Active Duty and have to re-start the enlistment process and go through MEPS again. Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Hey man I know this is from about a month ago, you probably have figured some stuff out at this point. I'm currently working a Palace Chase from AD enlisted to a Guard UPT slot, and they got me in contact with the guard base's recruiter to start working a timeline and paperwork and whatnot. For my actual application, I have to use my current AD base's in service recruiter. Your base should have Reserve ISR's to help you with the process, it's not a whole lot different from Palace Chase. If anything it's much easier since you're not asking to separate early. Keep in mind Guard and Reserve dudes are rarely in a big rush when it comes to new hires, so give them some time if you haven't heard much and start working connections on your end. 

Lastly, it's a good idea to get in touch with your separations folks at your MPF, they can be a good resource as well.

Good luck and congrats! Mind me asking where you got picked up?

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, 1:1:1 said:

How early is too early for an active duty non-rated officer to apply for a guard UPT board? Asking for a friend who currently has 18 months ADSC remaining.

I'm in the same boat and started applying a year ago. From my experience there is no such thing as too early, especially if you can apply for Palace Chase.

On 12/23/2021 at 5:32 PM, mcbush said:

Got an early Christmas present today. Palace Chase approved! 11M / 6 months off UPT ADSC

image002.thumb.png.5b25d33b69a4113647a829710cbacb82.png

Congrats!

I’m not as lucky…so far only the functional at AFPC has recommended approval; everyone else has recommended disapproval. Asking for 5 months and change off of a PCS ADSC from a selectively manned unit. 

Mine’s currently with SAF PC for adjudication…anyone know what that means? Either way, sounds like I’m F’d…

• 3 weeks later...