Palace Chase info

Guest ecutch

great info thanks!
can i set an official date of seperation (end of my ADSC this december)? Would that even do anything?
not against deploying, but def against deploying for a non flying gig to be a power point useless ranger.

My In Service Recruiter said I could not have a set date of separation while applying for Palace Chase. I wanted to hedge my bets same as you, to avoid a 180. So you’ll have to choose one or the other, I believe. Also the built up leave probably won’t protect you because they’ll just make you sell it back instead of letting you take it as terminal.

So you can roll the dice with PC and maybe be out in June and have terminal prior to that. Or you can set a separation date for December which might buy you an even earlier 180 day to meet the timeline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My In Service Recruiter said I could not have a set date of separation while applying for Palace Chase. I wanted to hedge my bets same as you, to avoid a 180. So you’ll have to choose one or the other, I believe. Also the built up leave probably won’t protect you because they’ll just make you sell it back instead of letting you take it as terminal.

So you can roll the dice with PC and maybe be out in June and have terminal prior to that. Or you can set a separation date for December which might buy you an even earlier 180 day to meet the timeline.

Good gosh. Sucks to hear that things have gotten worse since I left. I’m rooting for you! I still think PC is your best option though.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

A lessons learned I'd like to pass on from my PC process:

The medical approval process for the Reserves / Guard is a lot longer than you'd think.

BUT, it is fairly easy to get your "1288's suspense of 60 days after tentative approval" extended. Just talk to your ISR and I ended up getting mine extended an extra 30 days. I was sweating it pretty bad with the nightmare of them cancelling my PC if I busted the suspense.

Is there more to do beyond getting the 422?

Also, I haven’t gotten official word from AFPC yet, but I can see in CMS that mine has been approved. 

11M, asked for 6 months off, submitted 30 Dec, had intent to hire letter submitted with package. Longest single part of the process so far was getting the Wg/CC signature on the 1288

The medical portion was probably the easiest of the entire process, at least with me.  You schedule an appt with your SHPE, he/she will then schedule you a couple appts, and when those are complete, you'll get your 422.  Pretty straight forward.

Couple questions if anyone can help.  Our local base policy requires our 1288 to be routed via an eSSS up to our Wing Commander.  In that process it sat for about a month and a half.  Group Commander decided to tag me with a 6 month deployment while it was sitting on his desk.  Wing Commander recommended Disapprove and put in the comments that I am filling a deployment billet and would not be eligible for my 6 month PC request (deployment takes me right to the end of my commitment).  Two questions...1) Are they likely to disregard the deployment comments because of the "Exception for Aircrew" policy as I've seen in previous posts?  2) Should I include an MFR that points to that regulation (as well as the timeline of events for routing of my 1288 showing I had applied for PC before the deployment).  Follow up to that...if so, how can I upload an MFR after my CMS case has left the base?  Thanks for any help!  

Been hearing rumors of a 2 year PC getting approved out at Travis...?

Also, do you need to include the intent to hire letter with the PC paperwork? I assume not required per se, but would definitely be helpful (especially if asking for a good chunk of time off)?

5 hours ago, brabus said:

Anything near 2 years is likely PC off a PCS or additional school ADSC. No chance in hell thats off a UPT ADSC. The letter could help sway the O-6s at SAF/PC, but it’s not required as far as I know. 

Rare indeed, but I've seen it done. Hell, the guy I refer to got 3 years off it! Unicorn sample for sure (medical poor mouthing regarding dependent who needed out-of-state care was the stated reason). What's more, same guy managed to separate from the ARC with a monumental PC balance waived too, a few years after he'd secured employment at a major.

The reality is that the guy was a squeaky wheel at the end, and the unit was more than happy to let him go, especially as someone willing to leave a reserve retirement on the table anyways.  BL, 100% chance of not getting what you don't ask for I suppose. 

WheelsOff, for what it's worth, below is a quote from the PC office regarding inclusion of a hiring letter and some some of the other mandatory documents.  Apparently some get kicked back just for minor errors (like dates not matching).  This isn't all the documents required but info about the ones that typically are missing or cause a hiccup in the application.

"Intent to Hire letter from gaining unit showing tentative position (optional but highly encouraged)"

"AF 2631 Palace Chase Statement of Understanding (witness & mbr dates must MATCH)"

"Wet/digital signed justification memo (SAF PC will look at this)"

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Got picked up for a guard unit recently as an active duty guy. I’m looking to Palace Chase and I’ve been given the first task of getting medically cleared first. Question for those who may know. I recently got diagnosed with Hypertension and will be starting a medication to treat it. I know this is a common process but should I wait a couple weeks until the blood pressure comes down so it shows me at a healthy level? Also, I’m scheduled for Corrective Eye Surgery next week, could this hold things up? I’m looking to Palace Chase with an ideal Parole date in October (this is 6 months prior to my ADSC). Does this sound like a realistic date to set?

Hypertension.... get with flight doc certain meds don’t require waiver if it’s only one.  I’m on two for my blood pressure and it requires a waiver, that’s because I’m on two.  Again check the med reg.  Do it early. If you are still AD go DINF now while you still have a pay check.  If you need a waiver get it done ASAP.  But..... Guard/reserve could require you go through their process which is a pain.  

Some flt docs are terrible and keep wanting more evidence that it’s under control. So lose weight stop drinking and eat lettuce. Then get your blood pressure checked.

with your date you should have enough time. But....Coronas!!!! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Got Tentative Approval today. Applied on 27 March, pretty quick turnaround. Wouldn’t be surprised if this got done quickly due to the outlook of the economy and the Rona. I was able to see I was approved through the attachments included under my separation application in vMPF. Below is the timeline for approval. I was pretty lucky to have my SQ/CC & WG/CC approve my package. It was obvious from the comments in CMS that played a part for the AFPC approvers.

Question for previous parolees. My PC date is 16 October. I live on the opposite side of the country from my ANG unit. It’s going to take me a solid 5 days to get there. Do I have to swear into my unit on the 17th or will I be given travel days to get there?
9abf32bd16b959b753efaaff2101ef89.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Got Tentative Approval today. Applied on 27 March, pretty quick turnaround. Wouldn’t be surprised if this got done quickly due to the outlook of the economy and the Rona. I was able to see I was approved through the attachments included under my separation application in vMPF. Below is the timeline for approval. I was pretty lucky to have my SQ/CC & WG/CC approve my package. It was obvious from the comments in CMS that played a part for the AFPC approvers.

Question for previous parolees. My PC date is 16 October. I live on the opposite side of the country from my ANG unit. It’s going to take me a solid 5 days to get there. Do I have to swear into my unit on the 17th or will I be given travel days to get there?
9abf32bd16b959b753efaaff2101ef89.jpg

Your separation orders should specify. Mine showed my ANG unit as the gaining unit and I was given 7 days to get there. Technically I guess that means I could have sworn in 7 days after separation, but I moved while on terminal so I swore in immediately after. I would ask the question to a personnellist just to avoid a break in service.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

If a guy were to deny active duty orders with less than 24 months left on an ADSC would that hurt the chances of PC? I read above that somebody ran into an issue where you could not apply for palace chase with a set date of separation. Since denying orders would set a date of separation does that prevent you from palace chasing? Thanks- 

On 8/11/2020 at 4:11 PM, whiskeychevelle said:

If a guy were to deny active duty orders with less than 24 months left on an ADSC would that hurt the chances of PC? I read above that somebody ran into an issue where you could not apply for palace chase with a set date of separation. Since denying orders would set a date of separation does that prevent you from palace chasing? Thanks- 

7-day opting does force you to set a separation date, and from what I remember reading of the regs a few months ago you cannot PC with a separation date. You’d have to Palace Front at that established time. I’ll check tomorrow. 

• 5 months later...

Seems like the best thread for it, even if it is a bit of a revival:

Voluntary force reduction PSDM is out on MyPers.

Highlights for officers:

You can Palace Chase at a one-to-one commitment (vs the normal one-to-three).

The Air Force will waive PCS/DEROS curtailment ADSCs up to 18 months, no payback.

They will waive your full tuition assistance ADSC, but recoupment is required.

They will let you retire with an ADSC if you do so by 1 September 2021, and you have 20 years of service by that date.  You must be RETIRED by 1 September...not on terminal leave, not doing a Skill Bridge program...out of the service by 1 September.

Application window is 20 Jan to 2 Apr 2021.

Details at the link below, CAC access required.

https://mypers.af.mil/app/answers/detail/a_id/49494

Doesn't look like we're quite to the TERA and/or paying people to leave just yet.

Edit to add: should have clicked through all the links before posting this.  According to the matrix, 11x and 12x aren't eligible for the program.

https://mypers.af.mil/app/answers/detail/a_id/49498

Edited by pawnman

• 4 weeks later...

I'm an AD guy approaching the end of my commitment and looking for a home as a part-timer in the ARC. I've got a bunch of different units on my radar, and I was going to post a question about how significant a difference there is these days between the ANG and AFRC, specifically between stand-alone ANG outfits far from any AD presence and AFRC squadrons co-located with AD on massive joint bases. In searching through past discussions on these boards, I think I answered my own question, but since I already compiled this data into one spot, I'll go ahead and re-post these answers anyway in case someone else needs to read them. Always open to more info/advice... thanks gents.

"Get to a stand alone Guard squadron and hope it doesn't shut down. Stiff arm TFI as long as humanly possible and enjoy the last bastion of the good life!" - @SocialD, Feb '14

"By all accounts, the best QoL with least amount of queep or pain would be a stand alone ANG or Reserve unit that isn't integrated with AD." - @RTB, Apr '17

"Stand alone Guard squadrons are your last bastion of hope.  We still have our issues, but nowhere near what AD/Reserves have.  I wouldn't even consider a Guard TFI squadron these days... I keep telling all my AD bros to go to the Guard and NOT the Reserves.   Reserves are a totally different animal when compared to the Guard, and they seem to be AD lite.  I have yet to hear of any Guard guys being individually involuntarily mobilized for anything.  I'm sure it's only a matter of time, but they're still not here for now.   Again, stand alone Guard squadrons are your best bet." - @SocialD, Mar '18

"If it is a TFI, they usually are as bad if not worse than active duty because not only do you have your unit expectations to live up to. You have the active duty’s brow beating as well." - @Guardian, Jun '18

"ARC with AD-owned jets is nothing more than AD-lite. You’re not experience the real ARC life unless you’re at a stand alone without an AD wing next door." - @brabus, May '20

"I recommend to all my AD bros avoid the reserves, especially units at AD bases.  I continue to be amazed by the guys that say they're done with the AD bullshit, then join an AFRC squadron that is embedded in the AD wing they just "left," and complain that not much has changed... Stand alone ANG is the last bastion of hope in the ARC" - @SocialD, Nov '20

• 1 month later...

Are there any recent Palace Chase approvals? (i.e. How many months requested off/approved?) Did you include an Intent to Hire letter when you submitted the package? How long did it take to get an answer?

I'm interviewing with a unit in the next 6-9 weeks. However, I'd rather start the ball rolling now on the paperwork since they estimate it taking 16 weeks for approval.  Appreciate the help! 

Are there any recent Palace Chase approvals? (i.e. How many months requested off/approved?) Did you include an Intent to Hire letter when you submitted the package? How long did it take to get an answer?
I'm interviewing with a unit in the next 6-9 weeks. However, I'd rather start the ball rolling now on the paperwork since they estimate it taking 16 weeks for approval.  Appreciate the help! 

Mine got approved in 40ish days. I applied in March 2020 when everyone got wet feet. I asked for six months off. Most likely it’ll be fast for you too, there’s a reason why the bonus this year isn’t as good as last years, people aren’t getting out as much. They were getting out in droves before March. I had a “intent to hire letter”. My In Service Recruiter (ISR) recommended I didn’t submit without it. I too was anxious like you and had been tracking my ADSC 2 years out. Get that letter and then submit your package. Something you could do now is to have an initial talk with the ISR and have them explain the process and then do all the paperwork so you can press the button when your hired. I had my paperwork squared away and then submitted a week after I got hired. If you look back a few posts you can see how quick mine went through all the AFPC offices.

On 3/16/2021 at 12:56 AM, CDAWG said:

Mine got approved in 40ish days. I applied in March 2020 when everyone got wet feet. I asked for six months off. Most likely it’ll be fast for you too, there’s a reason why the bonus this year isn’t as good as last years, people aren’t getting out as much. They were getting out in droves before March. I had a “intent to hire letter”. My In Service Recruiter (ISR) recommended I didn’t submit without it. I too was anxious like you and had been tracking my ADSC 2 years out. Get that letter and then submit your package. Something you could do now is to have an initial talk with the ISR and have them explain the process and then do all the paperwork so you can press the button when your hired. I had my paperwork squared away and then submitted a week after I got hired. If you look back a few posts you can see how quick mine went through all the AFPC offices.

40 days is lightning fast! Appreciate the advice and the quick reply!

• 1 month later...

Is there any maximum palace chase time?  The AFI says that you must serve 2/3 of your "initial" ADSC, but outside of that...what prevents you from requesting 2yrs off your ADSC?

2/3 of 10yrs = 6.666 years (repeating of course)

So, can I PC with 3 years remaining on my initial UPT ADSC?
I feel confident the answer is "no"...but why?

Same questions, second verse...if my "initial" ADSC is expired (UPT), is it easier to get out of my PCS ADSC?