Palace Chase info

Guest ecutch

I saw your post so I just logged into CMS and it looks like the O-6 approved mine as well.  However, I can't see the signed "approval instrument" on my application because the link isn't working on my laptop.  Did you get an email or are you just going off CMS/vMPF?
I'm about to drive my happy ass to work to print this ing thing out!

I know the feeling. I didn’t realize mine was approved until I found someone with CMS rights and got them to look at the comments. Apparently mine was signed about a week ago but I never got any notification.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

I think I answered my question after reading this entire thread...
The TFB is only for any apps going to SAF/PC.  If you have approvals all the way up, then the O-6 is the final approval authority.  My buddy had all approvals too, so still curious why his went to the TFB at all.
For those of you that have been through this process and gotten approvals, what can I be doing right now so I don't put myself in a jam if the approval finally comes down in the last hour?  I'm currently a month from my proposed sep date.

Late to the discussion but that’s my understanding that if you have approvals all the way up your package can be adjudicated at the O-6 level at AFPC.
If any disapprovals it goes to TFB which is advertising 8 weeks to make a decision. I had all approvals except functional for manning despite the fact my AFSC in the Guard is the exact same and I’ll be flying the same airplane at an active duty squadron.
I’ve been checking vMPF CMS daily as I hear it’s not uncommon for a decision to be rendered, but the member won’t find out until a week or two later.

As far as getting things done in advance to outprocess. I’ve leaned forward to accomplish TAPS and any reversible out-processing actions so that once I get approval I can quick turn out.
Good luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

You will receive an email with tentative approval notification. The best thing you can do to expedite final approval (which will allow you to work on your DD-214 and separation orders) is to make sure your guard/res unit has your endorsed 1288 ready to go. Your ISR will have to send that to AFPC to prove you have a job lined up, then they will push the button for final approval.

Also, make sure you’ve done your separation medical appointment and TAPS since those can take a while. Otherwise you can get separation orders expedited (mine took 2 days) once you have final approval and out-process in less than a week. Have a plan for moving your crap, I wound up doing a full DITY since TMO was so delayed. Good luck!

• Upvote 1

So mine has taken a strange turn. I had disapproval from Sq and Wg CCs (blanket disapproval was policy from previous Wg CC). My functional recommended approval but then his boss went back and changed it to disapproval for the functional even though "unit manning supported" then next level did the same. Anyone seen this before? For those keeping score at home, that puts me at four disapproval recommendations, 0 approval. 11M asking for 5 months with an intent to hire.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Baseops Network mobile app

3 hours ago, baileynme said:

Anyone seen this before? For those keeping score at home, that puts me at four disapproval recommendations, 0 approval. 11M asking for 5 months with an intent to hire.

Yeah but...

Jun 11, 2019 · The Air Force’s pilot shortage has “leveled off,” and more pilots are now looking to stay in service, Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein said June 11.

Can anyone explain how I go about requesting a new separation date once I get the tentative approval email?  Once I get the final approval I'll be past my proposed sep date.  Apparently I'm the first guy in the history of my base to do this because everyone seems perplexed when I say I want to change it.

12 hours ago, BADFNZ said:

Can anyone explain how I go about requesting a new separation date once I get the tentative approval email?  Once I get the final approval I'll be past my proposed sep date.  Apparently I'm the first guy in the history of my base to do this because everyone seems perplexed when I say I want to change it.

I received final approval about 3 weeks from my proposed Sep date. I actually received a call from AFPC letting me know I was approved and asking me when I wanted the separation. date moved to since it was so close. 

I had already done TAPS and the medical appointments so I didn’t need to change the date in the end. 

Good luck, I know it’s stressful with everything up in the air

Edited by Harvey
Spellin
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Harvey said:

I received final approval about 3 weeks from my proposed Sep date. I actually received a call from AFPC letting me know I was approved and asking me when I wanted the separation. date moved to since it was so close. 

I had already done TAPS and the medical appointments so I didn’t need to change the date in the end. 

Good luck, I know it’s stressful with everything up in the air

I actually want to move my sep date since we're so close at this point and I'd be missing out on over half of my terminal leave.

So does changing the sep date require a call to AFPC or can you annotate it on the 1288 (like mentioned earlier in this thread)?  I don't see where on the 1288 it'd be annotated.

On 7/9/2019 at 9:13 PM, BADFNZ said:

I actually want to move my sep date since we're so close at this point and I'd be missing out on over half of my terminal leave.

So does changing the sep date require a call to AFPC or can you annotate it on the 1288 (like mentioned earlier in this thread)?  I don't see where on the 1288 it'd be annotated.

Based on my experience, I wouldn’t mess with coordinating a new separation date until you are actually approved.

Who knows what would happen if you alter your 1288 and try to input it back into the system, it might start the whole process over again. 

It should be just a simple email/phone call to adjust dates once your package is approved. AFPC surprisingly was really responsive to moving separation dates and inputting unit line numbers for the guys in my unit once the PC approval was done. 

• Like 2

Looking for some advice, palace chase package was denied by group and wing cc for manning...~70%. Asked for 13 months off AFSC to attend AFRC UPT. Package was denied all the way up the flag pole at AFRC for the same reasons, “support upt, but manning in AFSC is critically manned.” I just fail to see the long term outlook, 1 year off to sign another 10 seems like a good deal for the AF.

My package is stuck at AFPC palace division folks and hasn’t made it up to SAF/PC. How long does that take? Submitted package 18 May. 

If/when I get denied, what should I do to improve my chances of release on the next package?

Just received PC approval from SAF/PC yesterday.
11S with 3 months UPT and 15 months GI TEB remaining. Hired into an AGR position in the same AFSC with completed 1288.
Had all approvals except at the functional level.

My original requested separation date was 1 July.
AFPC came back to my ISR with no earlier than 30 days out for a new separation date.
I’m going to re-attack in the morning, but wanted to see if anyone has had any luck requesting inside 30 days?

I’m stoked about approval so it’s not a big issue, and in theory the time is to my benefit but I have already completed TAPs and most out-processing actions so I wont need the full 30 days.

Thanks again to the members here for all the information. This site has been the best resource to work through the process.
DM me if I can help anyone out or you have questions.

On 7/24/2019 at 6:25 PM, Pretty_Darn_Good said:

Just received PC approval from SAF/PC yesterday.
11S with 3 months UPT and 15 months GI TEB remaining. Hired into an AGR position in the same AFSC with completed 1288.
Had all approvals except at the functional level.

My original requested separation date was 1 July.
AFPC came back to my ISR with no earlier than 30 days out for a new separation date.
I’m going to re-attack in the morning, but wanted to see if anyone has had any luck requesting inside 30 days?

I’m stoked about approval so it’s not a big issue, and in theory the time is to my benefit but I have already completed TAPs and most out-processing actions so I wont need the full 30 days.

Thanks again to the members here for all the information. This site has been the best resource to work through the process.
DM me if I can help anyone out or you have questions.

Update on changing Separation date once approved for PC:

After talking with the hiring Guard unit to determine the earliest swearing-in date they could support (to prevent a break-in service) I had my ISR request that date which was approximately 2 1/2 weeks from my approval date.  AFPC denied the request and stated the earliest they could support was 30 days from approval.

I then e-mailed the AFPC Palace Chase Team (they are surprisingly responsive once you get approved, good luck getting any response while your awaiting adjudication) requesting inside 30 days.  The minimum 30 days is theoretically to benefit the member as to not jam them up with out-processing, TMO, medical, VA etc.  In my case I had already accomplished most of those items so I provided that justification and stated my out-going and incoming Commanders approved the earlier date and they granted the request for inside 30 days.

Good luck to all, standing by for any questions or if I can help guide anyone through the process.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BADFNZ said:
Inside of 30 days from final or tentative approval?
And are you talking actual separation date or start of terminal?
[mention=80262]Pretty_Darn_Good[/mention]

It was from final approval for me as I had a completed 1288 submitted in my PC package with an accepted intent to hire so mine went final with approval.  I’m don’t know if they’ll let you request a sep date on a tentative approval. 

And it was 30 days from the actual separation date for me as well as I’m not requesting any terminal due to transferring my remaining leave balance to the Guard (AGR position). My ISR recommended against taking terminal if going into an AGR position if requesting for an inside 30 day approval to separation date.  He said that can lead to issues with break in service, leave transfer and ultimately your pay He said normal leave and permissive are fine.

Edited for grammar 

Edited by Pretty_Darn_Good

I stupidly did the Post-9/11 GI Bill Transfer about a year ago, then 6 months ago my unicorn of a dream AGR job (same AFSC) unexpectedly opened up.  Applied and got the job.  Applied for PC on 1 May with a Jan 2020 DOS (2 years, 6 months before ADSC end).  My app is just now leaving for SAF (30 Jul).  Sq/CC & Wg/CC both recommended approval.  AFPC denied based on my being a Weapons Officer (ADSC will be complete prior to separation), an ABM (career field is undermanned but my ADSC was complete for that 5 years ago), and an instructor (ADSC complete 3 years ago).  Still trying to figure out how they can use qualifications for which you've already completed the ADSC against you, but hopefully the SAF board will see through that.  The Post-9/11 GI Bill Transfer is the only ADSC I'll have left at the DOS.  Am I missing some clause whereby your AFSC, instructor status, etc. can be indefinitely paired with another AFSC like the Post-9/11 GI Bill Transfer to keep you in?   I got it, I'm asking for 2 years and 6 months, but the VEB AFI makes it clear that the service on AGR status is equivalent.  The comment train on AFPC also mentions greater than 6 months being too long, but I don't see anywhere in the AFI that dictates that.  All I see is that you have to have completed 2/3 of your initial ADSC.

I'll post updates here, as I know I've drawn hope (and at times, despair) from those who have shared their stories here.

Question for the DD-214 worksheet on vMPF...

Block 6 states:  "Reserve Obligation Termination Date"

For us going to the AFRC, is this when our Palace Chase reserve obligation expires?  It seems straight forward, but when you click the little question mark next to it, it goes on about your MOS and DD 2-1-2 or something (I can't remember the form).  Any help?

Anyone had issues with getting their terminal move getting scheduled to either their Home of Record or Place of Enlistment of Active Duty (PLEAD)?  Here’s my situation- I am Palace Chasing to a reserve flying unit colocated with my last active duty assignment. I’ll stay here for 6-9 months and then will move back home. I’ll continue to commute back to my unit monthly. I would like use my terminal move to get us home in 6 mos but PC orders say move authorized only to location of AFRC unit per JTR para 051002-I. The JTR makes it sound like it’s up to the member. Anyone been in this situation?

Looking to Palace Chase. ADSC is April 2021. Would love to PC now but it seems 6 months or less is the lucky number for other parolees. Question is when can I start submitting the paperwork If my requesting date was October 2020? I haven’t been formally hired by the unit I’m interested in but feel confident I could do so. 

you can submit paperwork a year out from requested date, or at least that’s what it was a few years ago. I think more accurately you could submit earlier, but AFPC won’t even look at it until at most a year out. However, this is almost 4 year old gouge, so worth further verification. 

• Like 1

Question for the DD-214 worksheet on vMPF...
Block 6 states:  "Reserve Obligation Termination Date"
For us going to the AFRC, is this when our Palace Chase reserve obligation expires?  It seems straight forward, but when you click the little question mark next to it, it goes on about your MOS and DD 2-1-2 or something (I can't remember the form).  Any help?

AFAIK any reference to reserve obligation term date is interchangeable with the term MSO (mil svc obligation) which is 8 yrs total service which can be any combination of active and reserve. So in your case you take the date you were initially put into active service and add 8 yrs.

I stupidly did the Post-9/11 GI Bill Transfer about a year ago, then 6 months ago my unicorn of a dream AGR job (same AFSC) unexpectedly opened up.  Applied and got the job.  Applied for PC on 1 May with a Jan 2020 DOS (2 years, 6 months before ADSC end).  My app is just now leaving for SAF (30 Jul).  Sq/CC & Wg/CC both recommended approval.  AFPC denied based on my being a Weapons Officer (ADSC will be complete prior to separation), an ABM (career field is undermanned but my ADSC was complete for that 5 years ago), and an instructor (ADSC complete 3 years ago).  Still trying to figure out how they can use qualifications for which you've already completed the ADSC against you, but hopefully the SAF board will see through that.  The Post-9/11 GI Bill Transfer is the only ADSC I'll have left at the DOS.  Am I missing some clause whereby your AFSC, instructor status, etc. can be indefinitely paired with another AFSC like the Post-9/11 GI Bill Transfer to keep you in?   I got it, I'm asking for 2 years and 6 months, but the VEB AFI makes it clear that the service on AGR status is equivalent.  The comment train on AFPC also mentions greater than 6 months being too long, but I don't see anywhere in the AFI that dictates that.  All I see is that you have to have completed 2/3 of your initial ADSC.
I'll post updates here, as I know I've drawn hope (and at times, despair) from those who have shared their stories here.

Bogey, similar situation for my PC approval albeit I asked for 15 months of GI Bill TEB ended up being 13 by the time I got approval and 2 months UPT. I had approvals at Sq and Wg level but disapproval’s at AFPC functional level for similar reasons as you. AFPC from what I’ve seen/heard is going with blanket disapproval’s for any ADSC over 6 months based on HAF/A3 guidance that no one can produce.

What was the AFPC Div Chief recommendation (last step before going to SAF PC)?

AFPC’s review is myopic in that they just look at active duty manning etc. and don’t consider the total force. That’s the job of the SAF PC board to look at Total Force implications. Being that GI TEB is transferable into the guard and if you hadn’t transferred or could revoke it (you can’t, I tried) you could do it again day one in the Guard I would hope if that is your only ADSC they’ll green light you.

Best of luck and let us know how it shakes out.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 12:30 PM, Pretty_Darn_Good said:

Update on changing Separation date once approved for PC:

After talking with the hiring Guard unit to determine the earliest swearing-in date they could support (to prevent a break-in service) I had my ISR request that date which was approximately 2 1/2 weeks from my approval date.  AFPC denied the request and stated the earliest they could support was 30 days from approval.

I then e-mailed the AFPC Palace Chase Team (they are surprisingly responsive once you get approved, good luck getting any response while your awaiting adjudication) requesting inside 30 days.  The minimum 30 days is theoretically to benefit the member as to not jam them up with out-processing, TMO, medical, VA etc.  In my case I had already accomplished most of those items so I provided that justification and stated my out-going and incoming Commanders approved the earlier date and they granted the request for inside 30 days.

Good luck to all, standing by for any questions or if I can help guide anyone through the process.

Ok - so what was the process to change the date? 

I have final approval for March, but want to move it forward to May so kids can finish school and I can keep AD paycheck until I move. 

ISR says it’s super easy, but isn’t clear on process for officers. 

Thanks