Palace Chase info

Guest ecutch

"Yes you can serve out the remainder of your ADSC with the Reserves through the Palace Chase program. Reference AFI36-2306, Attachment 9, paragraph A9.18.8.6.1:

If the Airman was a member of the active component, the Airman may join a Selected Reserve unit and regain the authority to transfer benefits if the Airman agrees to serve at least the remaining length of time which was not served under the original agreement."

Solid info. So COA 2-- I recend the transfer (this getting rid of the GiB ADSC totally), palace front (as I would have no commitment) then re-transfer when in the guard. Is this possible or are you only allowed to recend benefits once...and they are gone forever. Call me gunshy...but the idea of getting out on my own timeline and my own accord seems better than dealing with the bureaucracy of Palace Chase.

Solid info. So COA 2-- I recend the transfer (this getting rid of the GiB ADSC totally), palace front (as I would have no commitment) then re-transfer when in the guard. Is this possible or are you only allowed to recend benefits once...and they are gone forever. Call me gunshy...but the idea of getting out on my own timeline and my own accord seems better than dealing with the bureaucracy of Palace Chase.

Unless things have changed, you can't get rid of the GI BILL transfer ADSC. It's there regardless of whether or not you un-transfer benefits and regardless of whether they've been used or not. That said, you CAN PC to the ANG and the ADSC just becomes a commitment you must serve out in the ANG or Reserves. I'm told by several who have tried, that a PC with only the GI Bill ADSC is not a problem assuming you qualify in all other aspects (age, rank, years of service, etc).

Concur with RTB...this was something AFPC was in agreement on no matter who I talked to. You can't get rid of the ADSC once you sign the transfer. As to where this is written, no one knows. From my research the underlying laws for the Post-9/11 GI Bill are part of the US Code but each individual branch of the military decides how they want to implement it from there. I found a random Coast Guard memo online that they use to remove the ADSC if the GI BIll transfer is revoked, but no such luck for the AF. I think you'll have to go with a Palace Chase.

The guys above are correct. I ops tested it and revoked the transfer. The AF would not remove the committment no matter what. I even filed a complaint with the highest board in the AF, the Air Force Board of Corrections for Military Records on the basis that the ADSC is unfair because the AF hasn't spent any money yet and no benefits have been used. I waited one year for their response and I still ended up losing the case. The only way out of the committment is to Palace Chase.

Thanks for the info. I'm an 11M with an Oct 13 UPT ADSC date and a Oct 14 9/11 Xfer date (yes, go back in time and wait to do it in the ARC...got it). Looks like the 'ol PC route for me. Will check this early/often to see how others are fairing with GiB-fueled PCs.

Applying for Palace Chase from AD enlisted to ANG for a UPT slot, anyone with experience doing this? Commander is 100% behind it, along with my Chief. Worried AFPC will shoot me down. Any thoughts?

How much ADSC left? Apply, sure, but man I wouldn't have hinged my ability to take a OTS/UPT class date on daddy letting me off the hook. Unless you're in an AFSC like Knowledge Ops or some other money-wasting internet browsing enlisted career field that they are early voluntary separating, they're gonna hold on to you. AFPC has you by the balls I'm afraid. 100% chance of failure if you don't try, but don't get your hopes up. It sucks to have a go-ahead from a Guard unit and not be able to take their offer.

hindsight,

I have 10 months left... the ANG unit had me slotted for FY15 after I got off AD but called me and asked me to try and palace chase back for a FY14 slot. Hoping AFPC will look upon career progression in good light and let me go. One can only hope. They just let a guy from my shop out under voluntary separation due to the new force management incentives. I appreciate the knowledge.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anybody have some recent data on approval of palace chase, or realistically a lack thereof? A friend of mine is a Captain passed over for major interviewing at our unit this week. He's an 11M in the 135. Does being once passed over have any bearing recently? I'd say he has the standard once passed over commitment left... Like 2.5 years or so.

Does anybody have some recent data on approval of palace chase, or realistically a lack thereof? A friend of mine is a Captain passed over for major interviewing at our unit this bweek. He's an 11M in the 135. Does being once passed over have any bearing recently? I'd say he has the standard once passed over commitment left... Like 2.5 years or so.

We just had a passed over '03 -135 FTU guy join the Alaska ANG.

The guys above are correct. I ops tested it and revoked the transfer. The AF would not remove the committment no matter what. I even filed a complaint with the highest board in the AF, the Air Force Board of Corrections for Military Records on the basis that the ADSC is unfair because the AF hasn't spent any money yet and no benefits have been used. I waited one year for their response and I still ended up losing the case. The only way out of the committment is to Palace Chase.

That sounds like garbage as the agreement you sign for benefits transfer specifically states that it can be modified or revoked at any time. The initial read I got from AFPC was that if a family member hasn't used any benefits, then an ADSC would be invalid if you hadn't taken an action that would put it into effect. Their example was that it was as if you had signed to accept an ADSC to attend formal training, then decided against attending. The ADSC would be removed, but you would still have to request and write a memorandum to the affect that you didn't attend/even show up as the two paper trails don't follow each other. Whatever the correct answer is, and it sounds like you and I spoke with two different people, it's BS to hold someone to an ADSC for which they've done nothing to deserve.

You are saying exactly what I've told them for the past few years. I've fought everybody along the way and had no luck, they won't budge. When you sign the agreement online, there is a check box that says "Revoking the benefit does not AUTOMATICALLY remove the ADSC". To me this implies that it can be removed but its not automatic, which I guess is not true.

There is no higher authority you can take this to than the AFBCMR, which I did and lost. Another guy in my squadron did the same thing and lost. The paperwork said that we had not been "wronged by the AF".

My commitment for the transfer is almost up now and I plan on getting out, but I'm still tempted to write a letter to Congress so other dudes don't get screwed by this.

Also, I will have used 24 months of it to get my MBA and still have 12 left that I would love to give to my kid, but there is no way I'm taking the chance to "unrevoke" it as they would probably try to start the commitment over again.

I'm still tempted to write a letter to Congress so other dudes don't get screwed by this

Same. Total BS policy.

Although my last experience writing a letter to congress didn't leave me with a lot of confidence in the system. My letter about sequestration and my frustration with their inability to address the budget problems earned me a 'heartfelt' response letter from the congressman agreeing with my "belief in the right to life". Epic form letter response fail...

Palace Chase approved. 11MXX. Applied 3 June, notified 22 Aug. ADSCs: GI Bill (14 months waived), UPT (6 months waived), PCS (4 months waived). Sq/CC, Wg/CC recommended approval. Found someone with CMS access to check progress and verified AFPC recommended approval as well (despite being told by functional they would not). Hired as an ART prior to applying.

• Upvote 2

Palace Chase approved. 11MXX. Applied 3 June, notified 22 Aug. ADSCs: GI Bill (14 months waived), UPT (6 months waived), PCS (4 months waived). Sq/CC, Wg/CC recommended approval. Found someone with CMS access to check progress and verified AFPC recommended approval as well (despite being told by functional they would not). Hired as an ART prior to applying.
Winning

That is awesome, congratulations.

• 2 weeks later...

This is pretty niche...but any experience from some who dropped a PC app while also having a IDE 3849 in the system/meeting the board? Unsure if that would cause an auto-reject for PC (you are applying to school...sorry). Lots can happen/change in the 6+ months between submitting a 3849 and having the results released/getting a RIP/7-day'ing said RIP.

This is pretty niche...but any experience from some who dropped a PC app while also having a IDE 3849 in the system/meeting the board? Unsure if that would cause an auto-reject for PC (you are applying to school...sorry). Lots can happen/change in the 6+ months between submitting a 3849 and having the results released/getting a RIP/7-day'ing said RIP.

Yep. 3849 singed by Wg/CC on 26 April. Palace Chase application submitted on 3 June and approved a couple of weeks ago. Not a peep about the 3849 being out there in the system, so the post above is probably correct about the two offices not talking to each other.

I'm pretty sure I got an e-mail saying that if you wanted to be withdrawn from the IDE board's consideration you had to submit a memo in writing stating why (routed through your MAJCOM?), but I decided to let sleeping dogs lie and wait out the Palace Chase results before I even thought about such action. Now I've got my final out in 3 weeks so eventually Big Blue will figure it out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any word/rumors with regards to PC in the 11M realm? I've seen all the AFPC force mgt initiatives, none of which 11M's qualify--just wanting to know what non-reg BS AFPC is operating under currently (i.e., 1 yr or less on ADSC, etc.). My specs haven't really changed since round 1 except for LOR's from losing/gaining CCs. Thanks in advance...