Palace Chase info

Guest ecutch

Been lurking here for a little while, just want to say thanks for the dialog. I just wanted to comment on this because when I read it, my stomach dropped because I knew there would be some mundane detail that I'd overlook in my own application when I thought I had read everything. It turns out that I'm OK, with 160 days between application and requested separation...but it took some nervous math in public to realize it. If nothing else, it's good that this detail is getting some attention.

Here's my vitals: Former 135 A/C, avoided the Forks by volunteering for preds in '06 as part of an "ALFA tour" because that would then give me "base of choice" going back to the 135. 6+ years later at Holloman flying 9s and I'm seeing the writing on the wall with regards to promotion and follow on location. A PC to Syracuse works for my very soon to be growing family by getting back East closer to family. For me, the RPA job works...I've actually enjoyed it so far, but need to get out of the desert. I'm a location rather than airframe kind of guy.

My application was submitted Jan 8, and went through the wickets (SQ and WG/CC sigs) the same day. I'm at home on baby watch, but I ran in to check email and it's still sitting at "Referred to PC OPR." Seems like the consensus around here is seeing about 6 weeks? I had applied this past June for an October separation, but again, like everyone else is seeing it was denied due to critical manning and time left on ADSC.

Apologies if this is too off topic, but for those that have been approved how was TMO handled? My home of record is PA, and I'm looking to go to NY. That'll cover most of the way, but going out of pocket is bugging me. I've heard from everyone else that HOR can be changed, but when talking to the folks that can actually make the change, they say that the only way they can change it is if it was in error in the first place. I don't think I'd have much of a case after 12 years in, and being happy with a PA HOR. Any thoughts, tips, or tricks are welcome.

Thanks again!

Tomorrow is exactly 6 weeks for me (Jan 4th application date). Mine is currently sitting at Officer Assignments awaiting DPAOC3 action (whatever that means). Supposedly after that it goes to SAF/PC then the decision will be passed. I've yet to have anyone tell me a standard time other than the party line 6-8 weeks. I did have an airmen get approved in 3 weeks. Obviously a very different situation with a Sra WX dude vs a Senior O-3 RPA guy with time left on his ADSC. Again I'm a Med DQ so I would think mine is fairly cut and dry but apparently if you give them 6-8 weeks they are going to take 6-8. Ready to get out of Clovis!

I Palace Chased last year and was told 6-8 weeks....mine took 12.

As for TMO, I was told I could move anywhere I wanted to, as long as the distance was equal/less than the distance from my last base to my HOR...any distance greater would be paid out of pocket.

The biggest problem I've see that screws with people is not getting scrolled prior to their separation date arriving.

Cheers,

Cap-10

I Palace Chased last year and was told 6-8 weeks....mine took 12.

As for TMO, I was told I could move anywhere I wanted to, as long as the distance was equal/less than the distance from my last base to my HOR...any distance greater would be paid out of pocket.

The biggest problem I've see that screws with people is not getting scrolled prior to their separation date arriving.

Cheers,

Cap-10

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but what is scrolled prior to separation date?

Scrolling is when the SECAF (I believe) signs the letter (scroll) that allows the Reserve unit to officially gain you.

The way I understood it, no scroll, then you haven't been gained...no gain, no separation.

Cheers,

Cap-10

What I'm worried about is now that they know I'm going to leave, they will frag me for a deployment, before I can redo the paperwork, because then it makes you ineligible to apply for Palace Chase.

I wanted to clarify this for you...I PC'd last year while deployed. It's true that in general you cannot PC while deployed, but there's an exception for aircrew.

Reference IC-2 from AFI 36-3205, dated 12 Nov 2009. Look at Rule 27, it excepts aircrew members from the deployment rule.

I had this hurdle and both the PC office and my recruiter said no dice, you're deployed. I quoted this part of the reg and they did a 180 and accepted my packet because they had to per the AFI.

Another thing regarding the scrolls...I don't know of anyone who didn't get scrolled, but it will take 3-6 weeks for the unit to receive your AO (Appt Order) and you can't show up for duty prior to that, although your gain date will reflect the day after you separate from AD.

Best thing is to contact your gaining unit and have them check on the scrolling the couple weeks leading to your sep date.

And it took me about 8 weeks...if you want to know where it's at, get ahold of the PC office phone number and call them. They can tell you what stage it's at. It goes to them first, then your career functional manager, then the AFPC assignments chief, then it's forwarded to SAF/PC. Chances of approval are pretty good if its at the SAF level because that means AFPC said they don't need you and at that point, SAF is only looking at overall officer end strength.

Anybody PC out of the KC-135 community recently? I called down to the PC office and overall I think my odds of being approved are decent (within 12 months of completing my UPT ADSC/unit with an intent to hire) but it would depend on manning levels, which in my case would be the '02 yr group with an 11MF AFSC.

I plan on talking to the functional to get his/her take, but I figured I'd see if anyone had had recent success.

We have a person in my squadron right now....paperwork was done 3 months ago...was supposed to PC starting 1 Feb, but didn't get scrolled in time.

Another way to check on PC status is thru CMS....find someone in your squadron that has CMS admin rights (Exec, SAC) and they can see where it's at, to include the person's name, phone number, e-mail, etc.

Cheers,

Cap-10

I was an 01 kc135 pilot and palace chased last year w 10 months left and a friend with two years left got approved as well. That was last year though. Also, I palace chased while deployed using the aircrew exemption. I am also fairly certain the 180 days requirement was for enlisted only. My separation was about 240 days from when I applied and was approved with no issues. Mine took over month to get signed (talk about a leadership slow roll) and about 3 months to go through the afpc wickets.

I was an 01 kc135 pilot and palace chased last year w 10 months left and a friend with two years left got approved as well.

HookEmAll - I just heard back from the functional...his recoomendation will be not to approve due to manning. I also expect the Wg/CC to recommend disapproval as well. Obviously these are just recommendations and the final decision is made in DC, BUT I don't know how often these things get approved when everyone is recommending disapproval. What was the situation in your case?

I was an 01 kc135 pilot and palace chased last year w 10 months left and a friend with two years left got approved as well. That was last year though. Also, I palace chased while deployed using the aircrew exemption. I am also fairly certain the 180 days requirement was for enlisted only. My separation was about 240 days from when I applied and was approved with no issues. Mine took over month to get signed (talk about a leadership slow roll) and about 3 months to go through the afpc wickets.

I haven't heard of this.. can you elaborate?

-9-

I haven't heard of this.. can you elaborate?

-9-

AFI 36-3205

*1.4.13. Ensures that the applicant does not go on TDY during application process without coordination between the commander or director of operations and AFPC/DPSOS. If currently scheduled/notified for TDY/deployment, member may not apply until return from duty. Exception: Does not apply to aircrew members.
Edited by Azimuth

Awaiting my final approval now. Of course I'm a med DQ and I'm not staying on AD any longer than I have too. I know it says 6-8 weeks for approval but what's average you guys are seeing. I'm sitting at week 6. Very close to losing a cash sale of my house and a $200K a year job if I don't have something official very soon.

More importantly, where does a man find a $200k job. That to me is the best question for a guy making the transition. (Not to derail the thread)

Anybody else's Palace Chase currently being worked? I posted a couple weeks ago, and was hoping to be giving an approval update by this point. I applied on Jan 8. According to AFPC my application is at SAF now.

I'm also wondering how the MilPDS shutdown is going to affect my situation if I have a separation date of mid-June, with about 20 days of terminal leave requested in there. Am I wrong is assuming that it's going to be a last-minute goat rope?

• 2 weeks later...
I wanted to clarify this for you...I PC'd last year while deployed. It's true that in general you cannot PC while deployed, but there's an exception for aircrew. Reference IC-2 from AFI 36-3205, dated 12 Nov 2009. Look at Rule 27, it excepts aircrew members from the deployment rule. I had this hurdle and both the PC office and my recruiter said no dice, you're deployed. I quoted this part of the reg and they did a 180 and accepted my packet because they had to per the AFI. Another thing regarding the scrolls...I don't know of anyone who didn't get scrolled, but it will take 3-6 weeks for the unit to receive your AO (Appt Order) and you can't show up for duty prior to that, although your gain date will reflect the day after you separate from AD. Best thing is to contact your gaining unit and have them check on the scrolling the couple weeks leading to your sep date. And it took me about 8 weeks...if you want to know where it's at, get ahold of the PC office phone number and call them. They can tell you what stage it's at. It goes to them first, then your career functional manager, then the AFPC assignments chief, then it's forwarded to SAF/PC. Chances of approval are pretty good if its at the SAF level because that means AFPC said they don't need you and at that point, SAF is only looking at overall officer end strength.

Huey,

I'm in a similar position as my CC found out I was being courted by a Guard unit and assigned my name to deployment slot. The deployment is over 6 months out and my planned date off AD would be prior to that. Any idea if this rule still applies in my situation?

Are you saying your CC assigned you to a deployment as punishment for looking at the Guard?

That wouldn't shock me. Typical box-checker O-5 bullshit these days.

what does palace chase and palace front mean? I saw it on a document the other day and I always thought it was just a phrase you guys here at baseops used..

Jesus man, take .69 seconds and use Google. The first hit will tell you.