Palace Chase info

Guest ecutch

Did you join to do cool shit or for a retirement check? I think that's another way to look at it. I could be doing TP stalls and slow flight on AD right now, instead I did a night Vul against Mudhens at Nellis. The difference? I don't get my retirement until 60, the question is what you want out of life.

getting a TR job (with MPA days available here) sounds pretty good.

Therein lies your biggest problem. MPA days are active duty paid-for man days. The active duty is on to this game and will likely not even give you MPA...because if you get across the 20 year mark on MPA, then active duty is responsible for your retirement bill (not the reserves).

The reserves won't want to give you RPA (reseve paid for man days) because then the reserves would be responsible for your active duty retirement bill...and they don't want to foot that bill for a TR. TRs are supposed to be cheaper and funding your active duty retirement bill is not programmed.

If someone in the reserve unit is telling you "MPA is available" then they don't really understand how it relates to your situation relative to retirement. MPA may well be available..for other dudes. Active duty is writing the check and they get a vote...and they have definitely started looking at retirement eligibility and sanctuary eligibility before they hand out the days.

You are forging new ground here. No one in their right fucking mind would get out of active duty with a couple months to go before hitting the 20 mark. I'm not saying it can't work out. It has repeatedly over the last decade, but most of that was OCO money and no one cared because it flowed like water. Times are different now. You have an uphill battle with absolutely no guarantees, no matter what anyone is telling you. You are risking a lot.

PC approved, 2003, 11M, KC-135

Congrats!

Just for everyone's info/clarification, I take it you were a 2003 grad and you were a 10 year UPT guy...obviosuly everyone has a differnet timeline for casual, IFS before starting UPT, so how much of your commitment are you getting out of?

Cheers,

Cap-10

Therein lies your biggest problem. MPA days are active duty paid-for man days. The active duty is on to this game and will likely not even give you MPA...because if you get across the 20 year mark on MPA, then active duty is responsible for your retirement bill (not the reserves).

The reserves won't want to give you RPA (reseve paid for man days) because then the reserves would be responsible for your active duty retirement bill...and they don't want to foot that bill for a TR. TRs are supposed to be cheaper and funding your active duty retirement bill is not programmed.

If someone in the reserve unit is telling you "MPA is available" then they don't really understand how it relates to your situation relative to retirement. MPA may well be available..for other dudes. Active duty is writing the check and they get a vote...and they have definitely started looking at retirement eligibility and sanctuary eligibility before they hand out the days.

You are forging new ground here. No one in their right ######ing mind would get out of active duty with a couple months to go before hitting the 20 mark. I'm not saying it can't work out. It has repeatedly over the last decade, but most of that was OCO money and no one cared because it flowed like water. Times are different now. You have an uphill battle with absolutely no guarantees, no matter what anyone is telling you. You are risking a lot.

Good info. Exactly why I asked the question, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

PC disapproved. 99 grad, T-38 IP with 11 months left on ADSC (incurred by ACP). Hiring letter from ANG unit attached to application. Both SQ/CC and WG/CC recommended disapproval based on our dismal manning. Will reapply in 120 days, putting me at 5 months from end of ADSC.

Nuke

• 2 months later...

Trying to finalize my PC application. In-service recruiter here says that officers must have a AF1288 signed by a hiring unit before they can even submit their application to Sq/CC. Couldn't find a reference for this in the reg and wanted to see what others have done. I have Reserve units interested in hiring, but don't want to commit until my PC has been approved. Thanks for any and all help.

11M. ADSC expires 2015.

A 1288 endorsed by a hiring unit is not required until after your PC is approved, however it does go a long way in the Palace Chase approval process. After your Wg/CC signs your 1288 it can be packaged for AFPC.

11M, OTS 03, pilot training 04-10, approved summer 2012, PC'd in Oct 12

• Upvote 2

The 1288 can be signed by your gaining unit either before or after you apply with afpc and consequently get it signed by your various commanders. Some might say it will help you get approved. I got mine through with 11 months left and my guard unit endorsing it last summer. A friend got his through with over 2 years left without it a few months prior to mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone out there confirm or deny if you can serve your Post-911 GI Bill 4-yr ADSC concurrently with Guard/Reserve service? I'd like to Palace Chase in early 2014 but my GI-Bill ADSC doesn't expire until Dec 2014. It would be my only ADSC at that point...

AFI 36-2107 cites Title 38 U.S.C. Chapter 33 as the legal citation for the ADSC defines an eligible individual as someone who has completed "six years of service in the armed forces and enters into an agreement to serve at least four more years as a member of the uniformed services." To me, the Guard/Reserve would be included in the "armed forces" statement, but I haven't heard AFPC's take on it.

Can anyone out there confirm or deny if you can serve your Post-911 GI Bill 4-yr ADSC concurrently with Guard/Reserve service? I'd like to Palace Chase in early 2014 but my GI-Bill ADSC doesn't expire until Dec 2014. It would be my only ADSC at that point...

AFI 36-2107 cites Title 38 U.S.C. Chapter 33 as the legal citation for the ADSC defines an eligible individual as someone who has completed "six years of service in the armed forces and enters into an agreement to serve at least four more years as a member of the uniformed services." To me, the Guard/Reserve would be included in the "armed forces" statement, but I haven't heard AFPC's take on it.

You'll need to palace chase just like having any other ADSC. There's nothing special about the 9/11 GI Bill ADSC. 3 for 1, max of 6, so you're looking at X years' committment for the SelRes (participating Guard or Reserve), depending on how much ADSC from active duty you have left when you transfer.

Related to the post 9-11 GI bill:

If anyone is thinking about passing the benifits to your wife/kiddo's but also thinking about transferring to the Reserves, I would recommend waiting to pass the 9-11 benefits...you can do it once you are in the Reserves...I just did!

Cheers,

Cap-10

• Upvote 1

Trying to finalize my PC application. In-service recruiter here says that officers must have a AF1288 signed by a hiring unit before they can even submit their application to Sq/CC. Couldn't find a reference for this in the reg and wanted to see what others have done. I have Reserve units interested in hiring, but don't want to commit until my PC has been approved. Thanks for any and all help.

11M. ADSC expires 2015.

Bro - sorry to be late to respond to this. Whoever is telling you this is WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG. The Palace Chase program was originally written for someone to get approval/permission to find a guard unit. You could submit and get a Palace Chase approval and get like a year to go find a guard unit. It actually says it in there that you are given time to find a unit while you are ON ACTIVE DUTY. As with anything, this evolved into the current application (although the regs never changed) in which the only way to really get approval is to have a guard unit agree to take you before you start the process. I submitted my application with a signed letter, but even that wasn't required.

Best of luck man. Greatest decision I ever made for myself and my family.

Awaiting my final approval now. Of course I'm a med DQ and I'm not staying on AD any longer than I have too. I know it says 6-8 weeks for approval but what's average you guys are seeing. I'm sitting at week 6. Very close to losing a cash sale of my house and a $200K a year job if I don't have something official very soon.

Mine got denied today because I requested a separation date that was more than 180 days in the future. The separation date has to be between 90-180 days from when you apply. Ridiculous that it didn't tell me that when I filled out the app. Now I have to start over and get the SQ/CC and the WG/CC to sign off on it again.

Mine got denied today because I requested a separation date that was more than 180 days in the future. The separation date has to be between 90-180 days from when you apply. Ridiculous that it didn't tell me that when I filled out the app. Now I have to start over and get the SQ/CC and the WG/CC to sign off on it again.

I can't stress reading the Palace Chase Reg enough. There are tons of little gotcha's that are listed in that thing. The 90-180 day rule is one of them. Read all the FAQ's and every little note on the Palace Chase website. I found little things in my app that would have been an automatic denial. Of course mines still going through the wickets so take what I say with a grain of salt. Bad on your in-service recruiter for not telling you about the 90-120 day rule. Mine had me send her my app so she could QC everything and check dates before it went up. Still keeping my fingers cross that I get my approval this week so I can move forward.

• Upvote 1

Was it denied or returned? ir, do you have to wait 120 days to attempt again.

Just to reiterate this point, the regulation is a mess

It was flat out denied. Now I have to start over, do the SSS, etc...I guess I could just move the separation date up and be legal but I really don't want to get out until September so I have to wait til next month. What I'm worried about is now that they know I'm going to leave, they will frag me for a deployment, before I can redo the paperwork, because then it makes you ineligible to apply for Palace Chase.

Just reread your comment. If they make me wait 120 days to apply again that will be the biggest load of BS the AF has ever done.

Edited by BONE WSO
  • Upvote 1

WTF. an SSS, really? The WG/CC can't even sign it until after it's approved and even then it's a phone call from AFPC and they will put electronically signed. My application consisted of three pieces of paper. The Memo to AFPC. the 2631 and the 1288. I did have a face to face with the WG/CC but that just an off chance meeting. I applied about 11AM and it was passed trough CMS from my SQ/CC to the WG/CC to AFPC by 4PM.

Been lurking here for a little while, just want to say thanks for the dialog. I just wanted to comment on this because when I read it, my stomach dropped because I knew there would be some mundane detail that I'd overlook in my own application when I thought I had read everything. It turns out that I'm OK, with 160 days between application and requested separation...but it took some nervous math in public to realize it. If nothing else, it's good that this detail is getting some attention.

Here's my vitals: Former 135 A/C, avoided the Forks by volunteering for preds in '06 as part of an "ALFA tour" because that would then give me "base of choice" going back to the 135. 6+ years later at Holloman flying 9s and I'm seeing the writing on the wall with regards to promotion and follow on location. A PC to Syracuse works for my very soon to be growing family by getting back East closer to family. For me, the RPA job works...I've actually enjoyed it so far, but need to get out of the desert. I'm a location rather than airframe kind of guy.

My application was submitted Jan 8, and went through the wickets (SQ and WG/CC sigs) the same day. I'm at home on baby watch, but I ran in to check email and it's still sitting at "Referred to PC OPR." Seems like the consensus around here is seeing about 6 weeks? I had applied this past June for an October separation, but again, like everyone else is seeing it was denied due to critical manning and time left on ADSC.

Apologies if this is too off topic, but for those that have been approved how was TMO handled? My home of record is PA, and I'm looking to go to NY. That'll cover most of the way, but going out of pocket is bugging me. I've heard from everyone else that HOR can be changed, but when talking to the folks that can actually make the change, they say that the only way they can change it is if it was in error in the first place. I don't think I'd have much of a case after 12 years in, and being happy with a PA HOR. Any thoughts, tips, or tricks are welcome.

Thanks again!