Palace Chase info

Guest ecutch

Wow. You're the first UPT grad I've heard of that has gotten passed over for Captain. What a joke.

There were 30 pilots and 25 navs that were passed over IPZ, through no fault of their own. At the 130 FTU, 9 (5 pilots & 4 navs) out of 58 were passed over. Well below the 93% promotion rate AF wide.

Edited by Fifty-six & Two

My only insight is that MPF/MPS and the total force service center is sadly lacking in knowledge of the regs they're supposed to be experts on. Press on with your PC app and if anybody gives you guff just point out the chapter and verse.

Once you PC you'll receive a new ADSC which is based on your UPT ADSC, capped at 6 years. ADSC is a term that is used in the reserve as well, so it doesn't necessarily mean "active duty", but should be read as "service commitment" meaning you'll need to serve in the SELRES (participating reservist or guardsman) for at least 6 years.

Not all of the dudes passed over were innocent. I know several that had negative (criminal) information in their files.

Agreed and I meant that comment more towards those that were innocent. Guys who have spent the past 2 years in the rated pipeline getting passed over only because they haven't had the 'opportunity' to plan the Sq Christmas party. What a waste and leadership keeps saying, "Keep your head up. You'll make it next year!" Only 47% of the APZ got picked up this year and I doubt it will get any better.

Referral OPR is not criminal information.

You are saying you know several who had criminal information in their files. I am not saying you are lying so please don't get defensive. It appears you have access to a large number of records and you have insight on something that in that, in the absence of your insight, is almost impossible to make sense of.

I am seriously interested how many is "several" and what criminal information they had in their records.

You are saying you know several who had criminal information in their files. I am not saying you are lying so please don't get defensive. It appears you have access to a large number of records and you have insight on something that in that, in the absence of your insight, is almost impossible to make sense of.

I am seriously interested how many is "several" and what criminal information they had in their records.

PM sent. Referral caused by a DUI (one example) is criminal.

True. With that said, if a dude meets a promotion board and has 2 OPRs (or fewer like some are reporting here) and 50% of those reports (1 of 2 for the dude) are referral, what do you think his chances of getting promoted are? I think the dude self-identified.

Edited by C17Driver

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going through the reg right now and it says initial ADSC, a buddy of mine who just got approved for PC says all of his dates reflect his total ADSC. Anyone have any insight on this?

Initial ADSC is correct re: date of application.

However, your functional is likely to not release you if you've got 5 years ADSC remaining. When I left AMC last year, you had to have under a year ADSC to be considered.

your functional is likely to not release you if you've got 5 years ADSC remaining. When I left AMC last year, you had to have under a year ADSC to be considered.

Your functional, like your chain of command, cannot grant or deny your Palace Chase app. That's completely up to SAF/PC. They can only concur/non-concur.

I know of several folks who have applied for PC, been non-concurred by their chain of command and functional, and approved by SAF/PC.

Anyone have any experience doing Palace Chase on a waiver due to having more than 18 years of AD service? According to 36-2005 it's possible but I haven't found anyone who has done it. Probably not many guys that want to jump to the Reserves with less than 2 years until retirement but there have to be a few...

Anyone have any experience doing Palace Chase on a waiver due to having more than 18 years of AD service? According to 36-2005 it's possible but I haven't found anyone who has done it. Probably not many guys that want to jump to the Reserves with less than 2 years until retirement but there have to be a few...

If they will take you, do it. AGR, probably not so much.

You're kidding, right?

No, not kidding. I know it sounds crazy but I am already less than a year until 20. By the time I can work the PC paperwork, I'll be months away. Without PC, I'll be stuck on AD until 21.5 because of when I did my GI Bill benefit transfer. Suck. If I PC, the transfer commitment transfers to the reserves and I have the flexibility to be a TR, take the civilian job I am looking at, and get the AD points in fairly short order.

It is great advice. Fucking brilliant to be exact. Don't fuck this up. Too much money at stake.

First of all can you even get the reserves to hire you at almost 20? I assume reserves vs guard because you said TR. What story are you going to tell them? Just gonna hang out and demand man days until I can get my points then bolt? Not sure that sells very well. I'm telling you right now I wouldn't be able to hire you and I hire people in the reserves.

Second, depending on what kind of job, it might actually take you a while to get your points. Only active duty days count, not drill weekends and not AFTPs. Active duty days put you in sanctuary so no one is going to want to give you mandays because they might end up buying your retirement bill. Plus the man day pot is fucking dry. Which leaves you with your 2 weeks of annual tour to try and get over the hump. Depending on how much time you need, could actually take you many years.

If it does take years, you'd be missing out on the AD retirement check for whatever the difference is between when you could have retired off active duty and when you end up retiring from the reserves. Which means that could be the most expensive decision you ever make.

I've had a shitload of dudes talk to me over the last few years about getting out at the 17-18 year point thinking they could just easily get to retirement in the reserves. It doesn't necessarily work that way. in fact they have purposely built in obstacles into the system to try and prevent you from doing exactly that. Every one of those dudes thought they had the best idea ever but not one of them had a fucking clue what they were talking about. Not sure if you are clueless or not, but you're asking anonymous dudes on the Internet for advice so I'm not ruling it out.

Don't be a dumbass.

Edited by Danny Noonin

I appreciate the info. And that's not sarcasm, I really do. You're right, too much at stake not to get this right. I'd like to think I'm not clueless. But obviously I don't have the full picture because yes, I'm asking anonymous dudes on the internet about this. Mainly because I haven't had any luck asking here at my base and BODN seems to have a lot of dudes who've seen or been through just about every scenario out there.

Your points are obviously valid and I have definitely thought through most of them. I appreciate the assist for the ones I haven't. BODN standard. I certainly won't pull the trigger on this unless the situation works as advertised. Also, as it turns out, I found out today I'll need a waiver from God (actually SAF) to get a commission in the Reserves with over 18 years of AD service so it may be a moot point.

But since I want to keep the GI Bill benefit for my kids, want to keep flying AF jets, but don't want to keep dealing with the shit sandwich AD is offering, getting a TR job (with MPA days available here) sounds pretty good. Also lets me get started on the next phase a year and a half sooner in an opportunity that may not be there if I wait.

Huge decision and I may decide to just ride out the AD thing until Jan 2015 but want to have all the details so I can make the right decision.

Oh, and delaying my retirement even a little will just piss off my ex-wife because she gets a F-ing chunk of it and is just waiting for that first paycheck to roll in from DFAS...