Palace Chase info

Guest ecutch

10 hours ago, HEFOE P said:

Same questions, second verse...if my "initial" ADSC is expired (UPT), is it easier to get out of my PCS ADSC?

I have this same question^. Since it says "initial ADSC" I would imagine you can apply right when you PCS, even with 2 years remaining on a PCS ADSC since that isn't your "initial ADSC", but I do wonder if that's the case...

To try to answer your first question, based on the AFI (36-3205), as long as you completed 2/3 of that initial ADSC then you are able to apply for Palace Chase...but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will be accepted. However, with the expanded palace chase program @pawnman posted about above, I could see the AF more apt to accepting applications with more years remaining

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, HEFOE P said:

Is there any maximum palace chase time?  The AFI says that you must serve 2/3 of your "initial" ADSC, but outside of that...what prevents you from requesting 2yrs off your ADSC?

2/3 of 10yrs = 6.666 years (repeating of course)

So, can I PC with 3 years remaining on my initial UPT ADSC?
I feel confident the answer is "no"...but why?

Same questions, second verse...if my "initial" ADSC is expired (UPT), is it easier to get out of my PCS ADSC?

Nothing prevents you from requesting it...it's just not going to get approved.  Typically you can get 6 months approved and not much more.  Guess we'll see if the manning is healthy enough to start approving people farther out.

Is there any maximum palace chase time?  The AFI says that you must serve 2/3 of your "initial" ADSC, but outside of that...what prevents you from requesting 2yrs off your ADSC?

2/3 of 10yrs = 6.666 years (repeating of course)

So, can I PC with 3 years remaining on my initial UPT ADSC?
I feel confident the answer is "no"...but why?

Extremely common misunderstanding. Initial ADSC is the first ADSC you pick up: the commissioning ADSC. After that there may be other restrictions in the palace chase AFI, but 2/3 of 5 or 4 is the first hurdle. Next hurdle would be getting hired when you’re so young in your pilot career (maybe).
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Another PC question, wondering what the odds are (haven't submitted anything, just planning right now):

3 months off UPT ADSC

12 months off PCS ADSC

I'm guessing the first one wouldn't be a huge deal, but the PCS ADSC might be. I'd be going to a unit that I'm a current / qualified IP in within AETC. Not co-located though; I'm basically doing a staff job at my current base and going TDY back to my previous unit to fly for a week per month.

I think you have a decent shot, especially if this is just around the corner. It’ll take the AF another year before they say, “WTF, I thought the airlines were all out of business and we had zero retention problem!”

Edited by brabus

• 1 month later...

Hey ya'll, working my way through reading this thread as I get my PC application in order. Am a 11M IP currently an AETC IP, got passed over for major on my first look a couple months ago. UPT ADSC is April 2024, thinking about getting into a reserve unit of my mobility MWS. Only other ADSC is TA usage.

Working on my justification letter, first off, what's the best format for that: my ISR just said "Use the Tongue and Quill," so I'm assuming it's the personal letter format addressed to SAF/PC?

Is it within that letter that I ask for months off of ADSC, or is that on a different part of the application? I know most of the time only 6 months is waived, but hoping to get more, would a justification along the lines of "please waive 12+ months of UPT ADSC with my PC so that I can continue to serve in the AFR and not get a 6+ year reserve ADSC, else I'll probably get passed over again and separate next year" (obviously more formal wording)?

Thanks!