Low Fly Complaints

Guest Rainman A-10

Guest Flyinrock

I was a crop duster for years in central CA and other states and we got complaints all the time about flying too low, too loud, too close, too early, too late, too stinky, etc. My favorite was the woman who called to complain that we had caused her teen daughter to miss her menstrual cycle and the bosses wife told her it wasn't any of our pilots as they all had vasectomies.........

• Upvote 5

Guest Hueypilot812

Here's another of her wonderful websites. This alone should let all of us know how she feels about the military.

http://nmsierraclub.org/farmers-and-ranchers-unite-to-fight-drilling-in-mora-county

$itch

A few quotes from their Facebook account should give you an idea what they think of the USAF and those who populate the ranks...

Peaceful Skies is a grass roots group dedicated to keeping the airspace above us free and safe from military intrusion.

I guess they don't realize that military aircraft fly over them daily...and I love how they say they want to keep the airspace above "safe" from the military...as though we just go around screwing everything up. Finally, why do all these idiots think that calling themselves "grass roots" somehow gives them legitimacy, as if they speak for everyone?

Although our initial imperative is concerning New Mexico & Colorado, we welcome all peaceful people to start their own chapter of Peaceful Skies locally.

So....I guess the military will just have to find other nations to fly over, right? Like Iraq....

Please contact any friends you know you might be going, or could be persuaded to go, to get information directly in her hands about the Air Force's proposal which is about a "new mission" for Cannon Air Force base. We need someone doing investigative reporting on what this new mission means in the bigger picture of U.S. involvement in Iraq, Afghanistan and Iran.

And of course the conspiracies are flowing as well...come on morons, people like you love to use your google sources to prop up your silly ideas...the least you can do is realize the new mission for the base came as a result of switching from fighters to special ops.

The Air Force says it needs to conduct training over New Mexico and Colorado. My question is: who's training who? It seems Americans are the ones being trained and conditioned to accept living in a militarized police state. The LATN proposal is just one more step in that direction.

These clowns need to leave their little cocoons in Taos and Santa Fe and live in a real police state. Might change their perspective a little bit. Here, their idea of a "police state" is to deal with 5 seconds of aircraft noise here and there, interrupting their $500,000 designer pueblos and art expos. In the real thing, merely having a web site like the one they have up would result in them being tortured and murdered and their family sent off to prison or executed.

Just heard about the Air Force's plan to turn Colorado and New Mexico into a simulated war zone.

So...a few flights a day over an area that's simply vast and huge, and that's supposed to plunge their lives into a hellish nightmare of constant simulated warfare? Please, they'll deal with more inconvenience from the local traffic construction than these flights.

This area is not prone to seismic activity and this accounts for the large number of surviving historic adobes. The vibrations from these planes pose a greater risk than an earthquake because they will be repetitive and constant and of a frequency that may even be harmful to human ears.

If the military needs another training ground, they should look to uninhabited areas free of nature and wildlife, including humans. I don’t want to see a build up towards war. I don’t want to see a generation of youth growing up accustomed to these missions, thinking they are just part of life. These missions are part of training for a military that some people feel has misplaced objectives and strategies.

1. Cannon announced that there will be only a few flights a day throughout the entire area...an area that encompasses most of NM and CO...it's huge. 3-4 airplanes flying a couple hours each through this area doesn't amount to "constant" vibration. 2. This moron says we should train in an area that's "uninhabited by nature and wildlife". Hmmm, like where, moron...the moon? 3. The last part of this statement just reeks of ideological ignorance. Sure, maybe in your little corner of wealthy Taos, war is a far away distant thought. But those aircraft that slink by every once in a while keeps warfare far away and distant, so you can continue to entertain your guests, drive through the ski resort communities, and bitch about unimportant things while those crews deal with murderous regimes and government/organizations that are bent on grabbing power and killing people.

Obtaining public input is an important part of the EA process, and the Air Force welcomes all comments. Interested parties are encouraged to submit concerns to be included and addressed in the preparation of the Draft EA. Upon completion of a Draft EA, the document will be made available and the public will again have an opportunity to comment.

Yes, it's pretty evident from this press release that the USAF is militaristic and pushing us closer to being a police state. Those bastards even welcome comments, want to hear citizen concerns and will even make this whole process public. Wait, is that really...nevermind.

Osprey cost per hour --------- $44,000

At 5 hours per mission ------ $220,000

Estimated 688 missions per year ----- are you ready?

---- $151,360, 000...Over Triple Taos County Annual Budget

Dudes with CV-22 experience...does that thing really cost $44k an hour to fly? I think that's hard to believe since a Herk (with four of the same engines) costs far less per hour to operate.

I wish I could get a copy of the crazy German lady that calls all the time here. It's hilarious.

On the subject of loonies, I think we've mentioned this crazy ass woman before. She lives underneath the approach to Kelly/Lackland (whatever it's called now) and complains of "stalking by military jets." One of her videos showed the name of her street, so we looked it up on google earth and low and behold it's about 10 miles off the runway on the extended centerline. But according to her, 10 miles means she's no where near a military base.

So she's an idiot and geographically challenged.

I will agree on one point though, a C-5 on approach will make your ears bleed. ;)

Guest Hueypilot812

I will agree on one point though, a will make your ears bleed. ;)

Soon to be a thing of the past. Watched a video of the C-5M (fully RERP'd with new engines) takeoff and it sounds like an ordinary airliner departing.

I will agree that the SKF lady is a crazy nut. And to be completely correct, I believe she calls it "terroristic use of sound" or "terroristic stalking" by military aircraft. Every military aircraft on approach, not to mention any of the EMS helos and police helos, are out to get her.

Here's another of her wonderful websites. This alone should let all of us know how she feels about the military.

http://nmsierraclub.org/farmers-and-ranchers-unite-to-fight-drilling-in-mora-county

$itch

Not sure of the "technical term" but it seems to me that someone needs a couple of 2AM B-1 'speed runs' to recalibrate their hearing...

In my book, these are all real estate pluses to me. I'm about 20 mi north of Bragg/Pope and I've got a seven year old that runs out of the house at any hour of the day or night to watch when the Herc's roar by...

Edited by MKopack

Guest Hueypilot812

I've got a seven year old that runs out of the house at any hour of the day or night to watch when the Herc's roar by...

Good. According to some people your son is getting excellent combat experience that way. He'll make a good troop one day.

There's a house directly under one of the turn points on a LL near VN. The family has a yellow school bus in the back yard with ###### YOU written on the top in bigass black letters haha!

The ###### YOU bus! You knew when you were doing OK on that sortie when the IP let you go circle the ###### YOU bus for a minute.

...According to some people your son is getting excellent combat experience that way. He'll make a good troop one day.

Which we all know is the pathway to citizenship. Carry on Starship Trooper!

I keed, I keed.

Both mine are grown and still spot jets at a distance "Hey dad, check it out, a C-17!" or "What's that F-18 doing here? Must be an EF-18 Growler out of Whidby on a cross country. Cool."

Damn fine kids.

I almost filed a complaint this morning...

A C-130 was holding west of the Twin Cities (near Lake Minnetonka approx MSP 295/20) this morning around 0430. I was sitting out on my deck wishing they would fly lower and closer to my house. I almost called to complain they weren't close or low enough. Taunt me like that again and I'm gonna make a call.

Anyone is welcome anytime at any altitude over my place.

A C-130 was holding west of the Twin Cities (near Lake Minnetonka approx MSP 295/20) this morning around 0430. I was sitting out on my deck wishing they would fly lower and closer to my house. I almost called to complain they weren't close or low enough. Taunt me like that again and I'm gonna make a call.

So I've got to ask...WTF were you doing out on your deck at 0430?

I have visions of this...(Rainman appears at :21)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjGwusHrOtk

Edited by Bergman

The Chena Dog Lady at Eielson is my favorite for noise complaints. Heard a rumor that they even gave her an incentive flight, which she enjoyed, and then went right back to complaining.

Not sure if this is the same woman we called the "Chena River Bitch" but there was some woman in that river valley that would complain constantly about us in the A-10s. Not exactly noisy but we were normally cruising at 250-300 feet in her neighborhood. Somehow, the LPA found her address and she became a subscriber to a variety of magazines like Guns and Ammo, Soldier of Forture, and a few others. When the conversion to the F-16, we figured this woman would have a seizure. I guess she is still alive and complaining.

Our sq got a call after a 4-ship went to a MOA up in VA and set up a strafe pattern around some guy's barn. Apparently his sheep were running all over the place on every pass.... "How am I supposed to bang my sheep when they're scattered everywhere???" Oops.

Not sure of the "technical term" but it seems to me that someone needs a couple of 2AM B-1 'speed runs' to recalibrate their hearing...

In my book, these are all real estate pluses to me. I'm about 20 mi north of Bragg/Pope and I've got a seven year old that runs out of the house at any hour of the day or night to watch when the Herc's roar by...

I used to do the same thing when we lived on Ellsworth when I was a little dude. A B-1 will motivate the hell out of you in full AB.

This is the best complaint I've logged. Make sure to watch the video. It's amazing how good this guy's guess was, we were in fact flying at 500AGL. This noise complaint ended up making it all the way to the AMC/CC. After they asked us what happened, (Squadron, OG and Wing support was excellent) the AMC/CC didn't like our answer that we followed all of our guidance. He directed AMC Stan/Eval to analyze our flight data recorder. Guess what, the FDR matched up with our statements. I love all of the trust that is given to aircraft commanders.

Guest Crew Report

This is the best complaint I've logged. Make sure to watch the video. It's amazing how good this guy's guess was, we were in fact flying at 500AGL. This noise complaint ended up making it all the way to the AMC/CC. After they asked us what happened, (Squadron, OG and Wing support was excellent) the AMC/CC didn't like our answer that we followed all of our guidance. He directed AMC Stan/Eval to analyze our flight data recorder. Guess what, the FDR matched up with our statements. I love all of the trust that is given to aircraft commanders.

Trust, but verify.

Trust, but verify.

It was verified by the brief from our OGV who reviewed our products and talked to each pilot seperately. The flight lead in the other jet went above and beyond for this particular sortie. He called ATL center in advance and talked to every airfield manager at every tiny airport along our route. During the flight we stayed in contiuous contact with ATL center and they had us radar contact. We didn't deviate. OGV and AMC stan/eval said we were good to go. AMC stan/eval briefed the 4 star. Then he asked for the FDR. They did all of the work and he still didn't believe them(us). This was beyond verifying.

I've got a seven year old that runs out of the house at any hour of the day or night to watch

HellYeah, I am nearly 60 (but not hardly through puberty) and when I can hear an aircraft overhead I go out to watch ...sound of freedon (i.e. military) all the better!

Reminds me of a call I got while I was sitting at the Ops Desk at Lakenheath. I answered a phone and one the other end was what seemed to be a very pissed off Scot who was yelling at the top of his lungs, "WHO FLEW OVER MAH HEWSE?" I don't know how the guy got our direct number, but apparently it wasn't the first time he called. After finally figuring out that he was trying to figure out who had flown over his house a couple minutes earlier, I asked for his name and address so we could pass it to the Wing Airspace bubbas and try to prevent it from happening again.

His response was, "NO! I WANT 'EM TO COME BACK AGAIN!"

Per his request, we added his house coordinates to our low fly NOTAM map as - "This is the house of Seamus the Scot - fly over as often, and as loud as possible"

Rainman - do you have the original audio from when you started this thread? The links are dead.

• Upvote 1