Fighters or Heavies

Dirtbag

I'm currently in pilot training and need help deciding what track I should consider. Ever since I wanted to be a pilot, my dream aircraft was the C-17. After flying the Tweet, getting over airsickness , and doing extremely well, I've become uncertain as to what I ultimately want to fly.

My ego is telling me to go with fighters, my wife and kid have me leaning towards heavies. Any advice concerning the life of a fighter and heavy pilot would be great.

Guest C-21 Pilot

No reason to say "Use the SEARCH button" again, but Vetter hit it on the nose.

There's pro's and con's to both lifestyles.

I'd suggest to look at the mission first and foremost. As TDY rates will change in the next 10 yrs, family lifestyle will also change. Take the time and spend a few hours with IP's from the C-17 (heavy world) and folks from the fighter world. Compare and contrast what you want, but like you stated, you have a family in tow, so weigh their opinion just as equal.

I'll be the first to say that although you are doing well in Tweets, you haven't even broke the iceberg yet when it comes to operational flying...in either the heavy or fighter world.

BTW, what does EGO have to do with flying a fighter :confused:

Maybe some of the Meat-Eaters can pipe in.

Guest Apollo

I'd say if you had airsickness, logic with say

fighters would be bad. Also, I think you should

really have your heart into fighters if you go

that route.

Ya i understand what you are saying though. THere are positivies to both, heavies have alot of great qualities, so do fighters. I had to get over the "ego" part...(thinking about cool music and pulling G's) but I am glad i did finally. I really enjoy the heavy life, but I have alot of friends that enjoy the fighters! All that to say...take pride aside, and determine what you wanna do in a quiet room, or a walk outside. Sounds gay, but sometimes you just have ot put external influences aside and do what your heart says.

Just know that whichever route you take, the other side will look greener. It isnt that you made the wrong choice, just human nature.

Guest rumblefish_2

There is truth to saying you can fly heavies later if you go fighters now. It is a little more difficult the other way around. That being said, not every person who goes to the 38 will fly fighters. The great thing about that track is that if you decide you would be more comfortable with the crew concept you can request a B-52, B-1, or even B-2. There was a dude in my class who requested a crew aircraft out of 38s. As mentioned above, you really need to have a deep desire to fly fighters if you go that route. The training will definitely test your will, and you will not enjoy it if your heart isn't into it. Also, I had problems with airsickness in tweets and everything is fine now.

On a side note, as someone mentioned before, I don't think the family thing would be much different in fighters or heavies. I think statistics show that the strat guys and tankers guys deploy more often than the fighter guys. If it is a danger thing...well, there are more fighter accidents each year than heavy accidents, but you are more likely to die on the way to work, right?

Originally posted by Apollo:

I'd say if you had airsickness, logic with say fighters would be bad[...]

Not neccessarily. I had enough flying experience prior to UPT that I didn't think there'd be any way I would get airsick. Guess what: I didn't , but I came damn close. Fast forward past track select, a month of academics for the -38, and guess what: no , but I came to realize that my stomach had it's own currency schedule. Lo and behold, it happened again when I suited up for IFF.

My point: if you've gotten over airsickness once, you might have to get over it again (and again, and again). But I haven't regretted my decision for one second since. Certainly not for some occaisional mild discomfort.

Originally posted by C-21 Pilot:

[...]BTW, what does EGO have to do with flying a fighter[...]

It isn't so much of an EGO thing that makes it worth it. When I flew on Hercs, the oft heard comment on the ICS was: "Man, they actually pay us to do this..."

Here at FTU, the oft heard comment is: "Man, not only do they pay us, they're going to teach us how to [fill in with any one of dozens of insane things], not put us in jail and throw away the key after [above insane thing], and tell us how we can do [above insane thing] even better next time." As we all look at each other like we're about to get away scott free with multiple felonies...

• 2 months later...
Guest Demeeta652

I’m slated to go to JSUPT next year. I’ve heard all sorts of rumors about what kind of people make good fighter pilots, heavy pilots, and so on. I’ve always thought flying fighters would be cool, but I’m more concerned about which realm of flying I can excel most at. I’ve always been the conservative, laid back type who’s usually the designated driver at social occasions. I’m pulling a respectable GPA as an engineering student, but I’m not quite sure if I’ve got that lightning quick “iceman” sort of thinking that people talk about when it comes to flying fighters. Obviously, my goal at UPT is to do the best I can, but I also want to be realistic when it comes to my natural abilities and what kind of flying I am most likely to do well at. Should I just go for it anyway and let my IPs decide, or will I be setting myself up for a really hard time at IFF if I do happen to get 38s? I’d appreciate any advice, thanks.

Guest lovelacm

You knew it was coming... "Do A Search" on the thought. We've had this discussion time and time again. It's the same thought process that's gone through UPT STUDs' heads since the beginning.

My quick, down-n-dirty thought:

No matter what you want (or if you just don't know)... study and work your butt off. Help your friends on and off duty. Have fun. Ask questions of your IPs. Get down to the last week or so before Track Select and then start making a decision. Don't make up your mind now.. you have no idea what you might want in the future! Keep an open mind, work hard, take care of your friends, and HAVE FUN!

'Nuff Said.

Cheers!

Linda

Edit: Drat! C17's got some fast fingers... beat me by mere seconds on the old submit button race. LOL!

[ 16. October 2005, 12:42: Message edited by: Linda ]

Guest KoolKat

"I’m not quite sure if I’ve got that lightning quick “iceman” sort of thinking that people talk about when it comes to flying fighters."

Huh, Are you kidding us? I have the "lightning quick “iceman” sort of thinking" and I don't fly a fighter.

I personally know guys that don't have a "lightning quick “iceman” sort of thinking" and are some seriously good ****ing pilots. [EDIT: And they DO fly fighters.]

Search the board here and listen to what some have to say. If you have the honor to have wings, don't sweat it. You'll be one of the few.

BENDY

[ 15. October 2005, 23:47: Message edited by: Bender ]

Linda's advice should be the stock answer to this timeless question in perhaps a baseops forum FAQ featuring the more common items. Then when questions like this unwittingly arise, new arrivals can simply browse an "FCIF" type FAQ section (displayed prominently at the top of General Discussion) and receive their answers quickly. Yes, there's already somewhat of a FAQ for how to get a pilot slot, but maybe there could be one for common general questions like this one that repeatedly get (or deserve) the "use the search funtion" kind of response.

Amen 135dude. I'm sick of this "You should have searched" crap. If you are pissed because someone is asking something you've already seen or are tired of answering, then just don't post. It's really pretty simple. Most people on this board do try and help, which is cool.

People who try and make dudes look bad, because they don't say "I tried Google" are d@psh!ts!

Guest lovelacm

Now, I disagree with the "Always do a search" response... and the "FCIF" type deal.

1. Guys ask questions we haven't thought of yet.. and maybe some of the newer folks have a different spin on the idea that could be useful! Thus, I tossed that "Do A Search" b/c this is a very common question and a search should yield lots of good info w/o making the guy feel like an idiot (I pray I didn't put anybody down as that wasn't my intention!).

2. NO FCIF for the board needed - I have friends who knew EXACTLY what they wanted to fly months and years before UPT and they went out and got it! Good on 'em! They didn't brag or tell the IPs, they were just quiet and did their best, took care of their friends, and grabbed the plane they wanted in the end.

The folks who ask this question typically don't know what they want to fly. I think the advice given here was excellent when I went through the program, and it holds true today. (I won't repeat it again, as that would be annoying).

Demeeta652, and folks like him/her... keep askin' questions. It's the way you learn. Be prepared for someone to ask if you've put in the 5 min to check previous topics for info before you chime in. But keep askin' questions! Thanks for givin' us food-for-thought.

OK, enough with the freakin' novel.. didn't intend that. Time for some coffee, some breakfast, and then a beer with my wings and NFL ball.

Cheers!

Linda

Sorry Linda, my response wasn't directed at you. You did put some insight down in your origional response. Just venting a little...not to mention that I was completely hammered when I posted my response. Good times....

Linda simply recommended a search, which I think we should do to teach the newbies that many of these questions have been discussed (some ad nauseum) before. To quote BaseOps on another thread, Linda's reply was "polite, laconic, and provided direction," and he did follow it up with what Rocker accurately described as "the stock answer to this timeless question."

I don't agree with simply *****slapping a newbie by saying "do a search, dumbass;" but I do think we need to get people in the habit of doing so. Maybe I have just been on this forum too long (probably true), but I for one don't like repeating myself over and over again.

Maybe we should make it SOP to do what some have done, include the links to one or two threads where the newbie can find the info. Might help relieve the feeling some have that the newbies are being *****slapped!

Where's WTF when we need him?? :rolleyes:

Cheers! M2

Guest JArcher00

Well, why doesn't the web master add a little link for new poeple signing up that directs them to the "rules" when they create their account. Everyone complains but I have not seen anything new change. Quit the B-tching and fix it or quit posting smart a$$ remarks. It is as easy is that. It does not help that the search fuction picks out every word you put in and end up with many useless posts. Nothing against the site but realize that.

Originally posted by RedDog:

Well, why doesn't the web master add a little link for new poeple signing up that directs them to the "rules" when they create their account.

Because it's a stupid idea. It doesn't take a genius to click the button that says "search" and figure out what it does.

Quit the B-tching and fix it or quit posting smart a$$ remarks. It is as easy is that.
Lighten up Francis.

It does not help that the search fuction picks out every word you put in and end up with many useless posts.
But you get the ones your were looking for as well. I guess it's just too hard to look in a couple of posts for information.

HD