When wives talk shop

Toro

Guest SuperStallionIP

Being a spouse to a military person is the hardest job in the military. No mistaking that. Sorry if I degraded toward the end of my post. I did not want you to think I was getting all soft and cushy. I am still and alpha male caveman pig and that will never change. If you needed a hug, then you should have said so woman. I knew you were not questioning my accomplishments, I just threw them in to illustrate that no immature punk can accomplish that type of stuff. I am over it, no worries, hakuna matata, etc. Seriousness is illegal and fun is mandatory here. This place would suck without some buffoonery. Now lets all go drink beer damn it!!

Guest AF2ANG

BigIron,

I think you're pretty %@$#!*& funny myself. :D I personally really enjoy your style. I would never want to be a military wife for two reasons: 1) I wouldn't want the stigma of being such and 2) I have too much fun being single

I guess being in the military already would ensure that I'd never be a mil spouse/wife anyway.

I've spent my fair share amount of time with the spouses of those in my squadron(s)(at functions/gatherings/parties/etc). There are a ton of really cool chicks, but there are definitely far too many on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Being a female, I really don't see the problem in talking about this. Maybe it's because I'm not a military wife...maybe it's because I'm just not that sensitive.

Michaela

[ 28. July 2005, 20:08: Message edited by: AF2ANG ]

Guest spar91

well this isn't a wife bashing story, but i thought it was kinda funny, and only slightly relevant.

plus it might continue the movement of lightening the mood of this thread...

i'm a pilot, duh, and my husband is in the af too (non-rated). i do talk about work to him and so he's learned some of the coloquialisms (is that the right word?) that we aviators have.

so, sometimes when he's telling me a story about *whatver* he'll try to put it into terms that "i can understand."

the first, and funniest, example of this is when he was trying to explain how impossible something was. "it's like trying to land a c-5 in a parking lot" he said.

i died laughing! he gets real embarrassed when i bring it up.

he tries to use "pilot talk" in his job. he tries to use things like "VFR direct" and "SA" and "staying ahead of the [jet]". sometimes he uses them properly, but sometimes he doesn't, which i think is endearing (cute) (though i point out when he says something that doesn't make sense so he won't look silly to the aviators he sometimes works with).

does anyone else have a story like that? when their spouse tries to talk about the aviator's job and says something really funny and nonsensical?

Guest C-5 Wife

I'm with you all, I can't stand most of the wives here just because they are the most catty, ego driven woman I have seen in my life.

Yes, I did attend some of the "wife" groups, but I'm so sick and tired of hearing "When my husband did this.. " "My husband just received this..". I actually know of a wife that shows up everyday to drop off her husbands lunch at the squadron because she thinks she needs to be involved with her husband's activities. Her husband doesn't have enough balls to tell her to quit coming, so invitably, her husband's career will probably suffer.

I think the woman that particiapate in these "activities" because they have too much time on there hands and don't work. For all you husbands out there, do you and your wife a favor, TELL THEM TO GET A JOB!!!

• 2 months later...
Guest Navtastic

Here's what I had to say on another thread in the spouses' forum:

More advice (from a former spouse and current flier): What you say at the spouses' meetings WILL get back to your husband/wife/bf/gf. It will also get back to all of the other people in their class. If you think you may embarass yourself and/or your significant other with what you have to say, don't say it. Gossip is a no-no, and for obvious reasons. I've seen it backfire, as a spouse and as a current flier. Many a close relationship between classmates has been ruined at spouses' club meetings.

Another thing to add --> no matter how good your intentions are, you are not going to be able to do anything to enhance your sig other's career. Kissing heinie only makes you look foolish, and has the opposite effect of what you had hoped for.

Hate on me if that makes you feel better, but I've been there, done that. Let the guys/gals do it on their own, and use the clubs to make friends and kvetch about the hardships of being a spouse. It's not your career, and you can be supportive without interfering.

I don't think they liked my response, but I'm sticking by it.

• 4 years later...
Guest opinionatedwife

Sweet Jesus we've got a wife monday morning quarterbacking a UPT drop. Kill me.

I'm so sorry beaver I must have forgotten my place, cause the ony thing us wives do is go out shopping spending our husbands money, right? I mean there is no way I could possibly be different and have a job on base in which I'm surrounded by pilots. You would think that by now I would be use to the looks of shock and amazement I get just for simply understanding the difference between an F-15C and a F-15E. I guess when being compared to some of the wives here that can't tell the difference between a T-1,T-6, or a T-38, other then the color, I should have learned that it's generally the opinion that all wives are the same!

Must have missed the requirement that one had to have testicles to know anything about the flying world.

• Downvote 4

How about you kill yourself? Seriously dude? She came on here and reported the stats from a drop she attended. I don't see where that is Monday morning quarterbacking. She seems like she can take care of herself based on her response, but wanted to throw in my 2 cents that you should kick yourself in the balls for being rude to an AF wife that actually knows what different airplanes are and gives a damn about a drop night.

There has since been a deleted post that she left making a judgment about who got the UAV out of a class at XL. If a wife came on here and started talking shit about someone in my UPT class I would be kinda pissed. Wives aren't in the flightroom, in most instances have never been in the airplane, and in general shouldn't be passing judgment on something that I'm sure they just heard second hand from their husband/other wives. Passing on what happened at a drop is 100% ok, showing that you have knowledge of what your husband does on a daily basis even better, talking shit about someone because they got a UAV, not so cool.

MTW beat me to it but like he said, she said a lot more than simply what the drop was. Nobody should be on here passing judgment about who got what out of a class and for what reason, especially someone who wasn't even in the class.

Guest opinionatedwife

I said nothing negative about UAV's or the guy that got the UAV. I simply stated that in this class it was the generally stated that the person that got the UAV was not the bottom of the class in this case, it was said that it was the person who everyone had the hardest time flying with. I also said it was usually based on commanders choice, according to several of the IP's I have talked to. I was only answering a question that was asked by someone about it being the bottom of the class that generally gets the UAV's, and since I don't know anyone that posts from my husbands class i thought I'd add their situation into the mix. Sorry I overstepped my boundaries. but You will never hear me talk negatively about any plane, and I said nothing negative about the UAV's at least they are able to leave their desk after the day and go home each night to their wives. There is always a silver lining to every situation.

Edited by opinionatedwife
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I simply stated that in this class...blah blah blah bullshit

YGTBFSM.

BOLDFACE

MANPLEASER - SHUT

REGULATOR - GANGLOAD

Guest Rubber_Side_Down

I said nothing negative about UAV's or the guy that got the UAV. I simply stated that in this class it was the generally stated that the person that got the UAV was not the bottom of the class in this case, it was said that it was the person who everyone had the hardest time flying with...

Ugh. Wives like you make me want to f-cking puke.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Guest Alarm Red

Ugh. Wives like you make me want to f-cking puke.

Show some respect. You can disagree without announcing youself as a jerk. Would you say this to her face? With her husband standing there? Act like an officer.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

Show some respect. You can disagree without announcing youself as a jerk. Would you say this to her face? With her husband standing there? Act like an officer.

Dude, you're joking right? We have pages upon pages of half naked chicks on this forum (which are awesome) and other posts where guys say 'choke yourself', 'kill yourself', etc and you think that we should act 'differently' here? If she doesn't like what she's reading she has the right to not come back on here--same to you for that matter.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest Alarm Red

Dude, you're joking right? We have pages upon pages of half naked chicks on this forum (which are awesome) and other posts where guys say 'choke yourself', 'kill yourself', etc and you think that we should act 'differently' here? If she doesn't like what she's reading she has the right to not come back on here--same to you for that matter.

There is a distinct difference between nudie threads on an internet forum and addressing a military wife, directly, in a disrespectful manner. If you can't figure the difference out on your own, ask someone in your squadron.

Just because you can be a cyber-tough-guy doesn't give you license to be an ass to someone's wife. If you wouldn't say it to her in the club with her husband standing there, then don't bring it here.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

Guest Crew Report

There is a distinct difference between nudie threads on an internet forum and addressing a military wife, directly, in a disrespectful manner. If you can't figure the difference out on your own, ask someone in your squadron.

Just because you can be a cyber-tough-guy doesn't give you license to be an ass to someone's wife. If you wouldn't say it to her in the club with her husband standing there, then don't bring it here.

So some threads we have to act professional to random people on the internet and in others we don't?

Check.

343827322v3_225x225_Front.jpg

Edited by Crew Report
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If you wouldn't say it to her in the club with her husband standing there, then don't bring it here.

This is EXACTLY the sort of thing that a lot of wives need to have said to them ... directly .. in person .. with or without said nutless wonder standing next to her.

Edited by HossHarris

This is EXACTLY the sort of thing that a lot of wives need to have said to them ... directly .. in person .. with or without said nutless wonder standing next to her.

I couldn't agree more and I have been married since I got in the Air Force. Too many guys today let their wives run the show and talk the talk around the guys regardless of the accuracy of her statements. They (wives) need to understand no matter what, they are only getting one side of the story and they don't understand the insane amount of politics that goes on between the boys, the bosses and the business. It ain't pretty but it is what it is. They can join in but when it comes to their opinion on how terrible of a pilot "John" is, that's when nutless wonder (awesome HossHarris) needs to ask to use his taken manhood and begin the teabag process.

Guest Okawner

Off-topic, but...

While I admittedly haven't logged many hours on this forum (or any forum for that matter), it seems to me there are a couple of ways that folks here interact. Some people's posts reflect the manner in which they would speak to you face to face; others use the relative "anonimity" of the message board to say things that they probably wouldn't say to someone else's face. There is a third style, those who are cocks both on the board and, I suspect, in person (Rainman comes to mind) - but that is, I think, rare. In any case, whether their comments are directed at you, your buddy, some dude's wife, the Pope, etc. - it's not personal. If you take that kind of shit personally, you probably shouldn't be participating - and that goes for wives as well.

• Upvote 1

How in the fuck did a thread with the last post dated 31 October 2005 suddenly become a huge pissing contest again? Also, there are posts quoted that no longer exist, so I suspect either a mod or the poster deleted them.

Regardless, the discussion may continue on spouses talking shop (yeah, usually it's the wives; but we'll be PC and say "spouses") and the problems it causes; but knock off the personal attacks. This will be the one and only warning, keep this civil as Toro intended when he started this thread nearly five years ago, or the shit will hit the fan.

• Upvote 1

There is a third style, those who are cocks both on the board and, I suspect, in person (Rainman comes to mind) - but that is, I think, rare.

Rare or not, I would and have said it to the face of more than one wife that thought the club was the place to talk about other pilots and or students.

How in the fuck did a thread with the last post dated 31 October 2005 suddenly become a huge pissing contest again? Also, there are posts quoted that no longer exist, so I suspect either a mod or the poster deleted them.

Not really a true revival. I think this was a derailment snipped from the "Track Select/Assignment" thread a few days ago, and pasted, more appropriately, here.

The mods really need some sort of chat window to keep the SA flowin.

The mods really need some sort of chat window to keep the SA flowin.

That's the kind of clear and concise gradesheet comment that makes the next IP smile.

I'm so sorry beaver I must have forgotten my place, cause the ony thing us wives do is go out shopping spending our husbands money, right? I mean there is no way I could possibly be different and have a job on base in which I'm surrounded by pilots. You would think that by now I would be use to the looks of shock and amazement I get just for simply understanding the difference between an F-15C and a F-15E. I guess when being compared to some of the wives here that can't tell the difference between a T-1,T-6, or a T-38, other then the color, I should have learned that it's generally the opinion that all wives are the same!

Must have missed the requirement that one had to have testicles to know anything about the flying world.

Who gives two shits about which wife knows more about which plane? Are you a better person/wife/woman/cook/maid/American because you know that the F-15 has more than one model? The only reason my wife can tell the difference between an XC-130X and an MC-130H is because the Talon II has an absurd looking nose and is horendously fugly. Other than that, she couldn't tell you what a B-52 looks like compared to an F-16. Who cares? She's still cool, smart, hot, etc. Seriously, are you having a pussy measuring contest because you think you know 2% about the Air Force?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

She's still cool, smart, hot, etc.

Standard baseops rule- a claim of hotness must be substantiated immediately with a picture, preferable in bikini.

Seriously, are you having a pussy measuring contest because you think you know 2% about the Air Force?

So in this contest, smaller is better?