Flight Suit Questions

Mark1

Guest whyme?
THREAD RESURRECTION

I was discussing flightsuits with someone earlier today (it was a BORING day...) and the 1-piece/2-piece issue came up. I didn't have an explanation beyond "The 2-piece is not compatible with ejection seats" to explain why we don't wear 2-piece flightsuits.

So my question is...

What makes a 2-piece flightsuit incompatible with an ejection seat? Is it as simple as the wind blast after punching, or something else entirely?

How does a 2 piece protect you from a fire? Seems that it would have an access. Plus I understand the comfort factor but in some aircraft we dont move around a lot.

The two piece is flight approved by Brooks, AFSOC wears them. Those of us who love them have to wear body armor while flying, the armor keeps stove pipe issues at bay, and if you're really worried, just tuck it in. They probably would be less comfortable if you had to wear a g-suit.

That said, my understanding is that big blue looks at the two piece as an "Army uniform" and thus hates it. I don't really care stateside, since I'm not wearing armor and whatnot. Actually, if they just flight approved the new Air Force ground combat uniform, I'd be happy and wear that while deployed and stick to the one piece while home station. I really think it has less to do with utility and more to do with being "distinctive" afterall the AF selected our new ridiculous ABU based on that criteria.

How does a 2 piece protect you from a fire? Seems that it would have an access.

Aircraft firefighters and structural firefighters both wear 2-piece turnout gear; they're exposed to fire a hell of a lot more frequently than your average aircrew, but they seem to do OK.

I'd like a 2-piece flightsuit in the desert - it would make preflights and cargo loads/offloads a hell of a lot cooler.

BUT...

I'm looking for the reason(s) a 2-piece flightsuit is not compatible with ejection seats.

two piece flightsuit

One of our Former Army Guys went on and on about the virtues of the 2-piece flight suit prior to one of our deployments. He used to wear 'em back in the Cav, best thing since sliced bread, etc, so he got us all issued 2 each. Of course, publicly we all gave him shit about how much they sucked, but he was right - it's the most comfortable uniform I've ever worn in a hot environment, in flight or on the ground. Keep in mind, these were the tan ones, I haven't tried the ACU model.

The best feature of all for helo guys - you don't have to take off your entire combat load to take a dump, and there's almost zero chance of crapping on your sleeve.

Edited by 60 driver

BUT...

I'm looking for the reason(s) a 2-piece flightsuit is not compatible with ejection seats.

In a high speed ejection, the seat goes up the rails, separates from the aircraft and then a drogue chute pops out to slow you down. At that point, the occupant of the seat is moving forward boots and butt first. In a two piece flight suit, the top half would more than likely become a second drag chute wrapped around your head. With all the straps and connections to the seat, the top would probably get ripped off of your body. I have talked to a number of guys who lost their helmet even with the chin strap and O2 mask secured. That is why pointy nosed aviators would not be fans of the two piece option.

In addition, it shouldn't be mission impossible to figure out how to take a dump without hitting a flight suit. I've worn one in the desert while working with the Army, and I will agree it is a pain when rocking a gun belt, but it is a small price to pay to look that cool.

(reference I'm Hot Cause I'm Deployed)

• 1 year later...

Can you mix and match subdued/normal patches on the flight suit? The squadron patch that i was given on drop night is subdued but i can't find a subdued (or any for that manner) GSC patch to go with it. I wouldn't give a shit but it's AETC

Just wear your 23rd FTS patches for academics, don't wear any patches in the field. You will get your GCS patches when you get to your unit, or if you can have someone from your unit who is going through sim refresher at KIKR bring you some, then you can get them there. I think I wore a different patch combinate each of the months I was at Kirtland.

• 4 months later...

Rant ladies and gentlemen. Finally, I was able to get some new flightsuits (our squadron got some money) because my old bags are falling apart (I've had to sew seems back together). Well, there must be some variations or just horrible quality control as I can only fit one pen/pencil in the pencil pocket. The other slot is sewn too close together to fit anything bigger than a toothpick (slight exaggeration). Also, it seems that the nametag velcro is placed higher (1" higher than old flightsuits) and closer to the zipper. Anyone else have similar experiences with new flightsuits or any uniforms?

Got some new greens and deserts. They're made by "Popper", whoever the F that is. They still suck. Actually, they're slightly worse than the last batch. They pill up when you touch them and apparently science still hasn't figured out how to conquer chronic zipper flare.

Rant ladies and gentlemen...

Have someone in life support move the nametag velcro and fix the pencil pocket.

A 12 pack should do it.

Carry on.

Guest Crew Report

Rant ladies and gentlemen. Finally, I was able to get some new flightsuits (our squadron got some money) because my old bags are falling apart (I've had to sew seems back together). Well, there must be some variations or just horrible quality control as I can only fit one pen/pencil in the pencil pocket. The other slot is sewn too close together to fit anything bigger than a toothpick (slight exaggeration). Also, it seems that the nametag velcro is placed higher (1" higher than old flightsuits) and closer to the zipper. Anyone else have similar experiences with new flightsuits or any uniforms?

The older ones have squared off zippers, and extra pocket on the pen/pencil pocket, and have "Made in Mexico" on the tag. The new desert/green flight suits don't and suck ass.

Or drink the 12 pack yourself while you're waiting on the parachute shop to fix the flightsuit for free :)

I wore the flightsuit to SERE, everyone else wore BDUs and goretex. You get one guess which poor bastard got to lead the way through the snowy underbrush in the middle of a sleet storm.

• 2 months later...

Flight suits and nomex flight jackets wear out/lose their flight retardent qualities after a certain amount of washing and use so is there a standard timeline of say an aircrew member being alloted 2 flight suits and 1 nomex flight jacket per year type of thing? To sum up, does anyone know how often and how many flight suits and nomex flight jackets you can get issued and how often for example per year/two years etc. and what reg supports this? My question is for USAF regulations.

Edited by Redknight123

Flight suits and nomex flight jackets wear out/lose their flight retardent qualities after a certain amount of washing and use so is there a standard timeline of say an aircrew member being alloted 2 flight suits and 1 nomex flight jacket per year type of thing? To sum up, does anyone know how often and how many flight suits and nomex flight jackets you can get issued and how often for example per year/two years etc. and what reg supports this? My question is for USAF regulations.

In my unit, we get two per year as the going in argument. It seems to work out right, as that's about the number I have to trash in a year. Flight suits come out of your AFE shop's O & M money, and I don't think there's a reg that dictates a set rate (as different MDSs and crew positions burn through gear differing rates). However, the more flight suits your unit goes through, the less boots, gloves, NVGs, etc you can buy that year.

Ours was 3 per year and 1 set of boots. Most people only got 1 and 1 though. It depends if you need a new one because it's old or if its worn. There is an AFE reg that states you are not authorized to make adjustments to them. I had a large hole in a pocket and wanted to sew it up, they said they couldn't and that I needed to get a new flight suit.

I personally like the look and feel of an older flight suit. Lets be honest, is it really going to save your life?

Ours was 3 per year and 1 set of boots. Most people only got 1 and 1 though. It depends if you need a new one because it's old or if its worn. There is an AFE reg that states you are not authorized to make adjustments to them. I had a large hole in a pocket and wanted to sew it up, they said they couldn't and that I needed to get a new flight suit.

I personally like the look and feel of an older flight suit. Lets be honest, is it really going to save your life?

1 set of boots every year? My God, I've had one set for 5-1/2 years and only got a new pair because of the color change.

• 1 month later...

I've been wearing the same black boots I was issued at UPT 8 years ago.... until next week.

Some guys walk around on sandpaper all day pushing pallets, wears them down pretty quick... pretty common to completely wear out the tread in an year, especially the cheaper ones we seem to buy these days.

Probably won't save my life but it's comfortable as hell.

Don't sweat it. A brand new flt suit won't save your life if the airplane is on fire on the inside. Neither will those cool gloves.

However, a Crown Royal bag sewn into the leg pocket...that shit is cool.

Back when I was a cadet a major told me about sewing cool shit (like a crown royal bag) into the zipper down by your ankles. Would this be considered a jack ass move as a student?

I am thinking the coolest shit you could do would be to sew a reflective belt onto all your flight suits. Maybe even like a sash or something.

Seriously. That shit would be cool. Do it.

Edited by Rainman A-10