Track Selects and Assignment Nights

Guest oliwoody

On 5/6/2023 at 7:11 PM, Boomer6 said:

I know an AF promise for DO etc. is commensurate with the three standard lies, but I heard this from a dude in that sq. Which is why I said it was a rumor.

Three standard lies? Enlighten me, I’ve not heard this before.

On the topic of 11Fs washing out of PIT and where he would go next, my sq has a couple dudes that came from the Viper to the BUFF, so dropping a fighter doesn’t guarantee you’re gonna stay in that MWS or even in the fighter community for your whole career. A lot of UPT studs seem to have this foot-in-the-door attitude about their dream plane, “I just have to get a 38 spot and I’ll get my F-35.”

I’ve witnessed a few dudes go from vipers to buffs. By that point one of them was super relieved to transfer. B course was too much/ would have been a ticking time bomb for a class A. If they make it to vipers hopefully the FTU or CAF holds the standard and sends them elsewhere in those cases. 

On 4/30/2023 at 7:47 AM, brabus said:

... keep in mind there were several years where half the class got heavies/FAIP. 

We have a number of them that ended up in the U-2. 

Remember all those dudes who got UAVs out of 38s?  They weren't all dirtbags.  Yeah that was happening to guys at UPT.  If you were not putting in the effort, you could have ended up never pulling more than 1 g in your life.  No matter what UPT base you were at.  

10 hours ago, Biff_T said:

Remember all those dudes who got UAVs out of 38s?  They weren't all dirtbags.  Yeah that was happening to guys at UPT.  If you were not putting in the effort, you could have ended up never pulling more than 1 g in your life.  No matter what UPT base you were at.  

As someone who taught in an FTU around the time they were getting their follow on manned aircraft, a lot of them were.

1 hour ago, Sua Sponte said:

As someone who taught in an FTU around the time they were getting their follow on manned aircraft, a lot of them were.

That's bad to hear. I imagine how excited I'd be if had to take my first bite of the AF shit sandwich as a 1Lt. A big bite.  No matter how people say "That's life and such" it would really suck to have dropped a UAV out of UPT, regardless if it was Heavies or Fast Movers.  It would put a little chip on the brightest young Lt.   That was bad time for AF morale across the board from what I remember.  It put a real stink on UPT for a while.  That's for sure.  

17 minutes ago, Biff_T said:

That's bad to hear. I imagine how excited I'd be if had to take my first bite of the AF shit sandwich as a 1Lt. A big bite.  No matter how people say "That's life and such" it would really suck to have dropped a UAV out of UPT, regardless if it was Heavies or Fast Movers.  It would put a little chip on the brightest young Lt.   That was bad time for AF morale across the board from what I remember.  It put a real stink on UPT for a while.  That's for sure.  

The USAF pulled a boomer move and said “Well, that sucks, I got mine. Needs of the service” and completely left out the fact these kids had a dream they’d be working hard towards for years. Then they wonder why people vote with their feet and leave.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Sua Sponte said:

The USAF pulled a boomer move and said “Well, that sucks, I got mine. Needs of the service” and completely left out the fact these kids had a dream they’d be working hard towards for years. Then they wonder why people vote with their feet and leave.

FAIPing, while not nearly as bad a dick punch as drones, causes very similar resentment and near-universal 10 yr ADSC punch outs.

Join the AF to fly jets and see the world! Or alternatively..

Spend the first 5 years of your career flying around the flagpole in one of the 4 sh!ttiest towns in the country, probably single too!  Experience the best squadron, group, and wing leaders their respective MWS communities didn't want to keep for themselves!  Get strung along in a 4 year rat race with your friends who were all also better than average in UPT only to get a drop list measurably worse than average!  

Then finally show up to your MWS as a senior captain to get immediately relegated to queep centric jobs because your tactical knowledge/experience is far behind pipeline dudes in your age group.

But one time a FAIP became a general so it's probably an honor and an amazing opportunity

• Upvote 11

The first drop I witnessed at SPS in 2008 was 5 x UAV, 5 x U-28/PC-12, a FAIP, a BUFF, and a Strike Eagle. Wild times.

I was there around the same time. The last “good drop” before the UAVs/U-28s and NSAs became 90% of the drop, had all fighters with 2 FAIPs and a BUFF. I remember some guy getting pissed he got dropped F-16s and his wife losing her $hit on him and calling him a failure for not dropping Eagles… good times.

Then the very next drop was the most miserable gut punch to everyone there. Why they even had an assignment night, I’ll never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Pooter said:

FAIPing, while not nearly as bad a dick punch as drones, causes very similar resentment and near-universal 10 yr ADSC punch outs.

Join the AF to fly jets and see the world! Or alternatively..

Spend the first 5 years of your career flying around the flagpole in one of the 4 sh!ttiest towns in the country, probably single too!  Experience the best squadron, group, and wing leaders their respective MWS communities didn't want to keep for themselves!  Get strung along in a 4 year rat race with your friends who were all also better than average in UPT only to get a drop list measurably worse than average!  

Then finally show up to your MWS as a senior captain to get immediately relegated to queep centric jobs because your tactical knowledge/experience is far behind pipeline dudes in your age group.

But one time a FAIP became a general so it's probably an honor and an amazing opportunity

This can't be understated.  FAIPing is a disservice all the way around.  Most make the best of it, but FAIPs simply should not exist.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Duck said:

F-16s and his wife losing her $hit on him and calling him a failure for not dropping Eagles…

"I said two engines, not one you incompetent son of a bitch!!! And now you have to do air to ground stuff. I'm leaving you for an Eagle driver" - Wife (more than likley a trans wife lol) of husband who dropped Vipers.  Lol. Something like that I imagine. 

• Haha 2