Typhoon, RSAF

A-10, Davis Monthan

T-38, FAIP CAFB

F-16, Atlantic City ANG

F-22, Eglin

Edited by Rage W.

18 hours ago, PilotCandidate said:

It’s a good time to be in T-38’s!

Don’t worry, in the next 6-9 years a good chunk will get non-vol’d to less-desirable flying assignments or staff. Hate to break it to ya….but 🎶it’s the circle of liiife🎶

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2021 at 9:35 AM, Johntsunami said:

Vance 21-11 T-1

T-6 FAIP

C-17

EC-130H

AC-130J

C-130J

U-28

Six graduates? Are class sizes significantly smaller and drops happen more often or what?

23 minutes ago, Royal said:

Six graduates? Are class sizes significantly smaller and drops happen more often or what?

I'm not sure about this class specifically. 6 went T-1 and 6 went T-38. I'm sure some were pushed forward and some were washed back. I know class sizes went up to 30 for subsequent UPT 2.5 classes, the first of which should drop in the next few weeks.

• 5 weeks later...

In regards to track select, CAFB just had a class track with only one guy out of 28 getting 38s. They easily had 4-5 that were more than qualified for 38s but 3 classes before that 14 guys/gals tracked 38s out of 27. To save their asses and avoid another large backup, squadron leadership changed the requirements for the MASS that entirely took out the flt/cc ranking and focuses solely on graded rides/academics. Can’t say I agree with the new standards considering it removes IPs input entirely and doesn’t take into account a holistic view of the students. Yet another example of AETC being short sighted to the detriment of some hard working students.

In regards to track select, CAFB just had a class track with only one guy out of 28 getting 38s. They easily had 4-5 that were more than qualified for 38s but 3 classes before that 14 guys/gals tracked 38s out of 27. To save their asses and avoid another large backup, squadron leadership changed the requirements for the MASS that entirely took out the flt/cc ranking and focuses solely on graded rides/academics. Can’t say I agree with the new standards considering it removes IPs input entirely and doesn’t take into account a holistic view of the students. Yet another example of AETC being short sighted to the detriment of some hard working students.

This is a direct result of sh-tty leadership that doesn’t get it and a poorly managed system. Not bitching, stating fact from seeing the inner workings firsthand.

On 7/21/2021 at 7:15 AM, FAIPMafia69 said:

In regards to track select, CAFB just had a class track with only one guy out of 28 getting 38s. They easily had 4-5 that were more than qualified for 38s but 3 classes before that 14 guys/gals tracked 38s out of 27.

It's amazing to me that they haven't figured out a better way to run the track system to avoid situations like this. It's crazy folks are getting non-vol'd into 38s because they have more slots than interested/capable studs in one class when you've got people splitting MASS hairs the class behind to not get "left out." Or that the DNIF game to get timing worked out is the best option for someone that might be on the cusp in their class, but be high ranked in the class behind.

There's certainly no shortage of people that want pointies and just because they want it doesn't mean they should have it if the skill isn't there. But, it seems a lot better to hold a slot open for someone that is aiming (and capable) for that life over stuffing someone that might have good hands but wants heavies into an entire career trajectory that's very different than they hoped for. 

I know little about how the stew is made, so I'm likely talking out of my tailpipe. But it made sense to me that maybe a better option for UPT structure would be less breaking studs up into classes and more breaking down the Phases even further into their component blocks and living in those components. Instead of you being class 21-69, you just show up into the Transition class at the beginning of training (or start it in Phase 1 Sims...whatever works). You and the other folks in Trans shuffle through that block, working on the same level as everyone else in that block, until you get to check ride; whenever that may be. Once you pass check, you move into a different classroom/section/whatever that is only folks now in Nav block. Perhaps at at the end of the first block in the Form class you start looking at track, as IPs there can get an eye on folks they think are getting Form over those struggling more. 

Lather, rinse, repeat through Phase 2 and 3. 

I guess maybe the downsides could be harder to track/mentor individual studs without the structure of classes and little less stable camaraderie since you'd not be with the same "class" for the entire run. The fast runners would leave the slow and steady folks behind, but it still seems like it would be a way to get groups more on the same page and with peers struggling through the same blocks as you are. While you can get insight from the further along folks in your class, they just sometimes are focused on their alligator and not the one they already whacked in the head, so it seems sometimes the slower paced folks languish in the end as the class moves on/empties out/has new gators inbound.

• 3 weeks later...

XL 21-14

C-130H, Connecticut ANG

C-130J, West Virginia ANG

B-52, Barksdale

C-5, Travis (x2)

C-17, Elmendorf

F-16 (x3)

MC-130J, Kirtland

C-130J, Little Rock

F-15C, ANG Portland, OR

E-3, Tinker