Track Selects and Assignment Nights

Guest oliwoody

On 3/1/2019 at 8:09 PM, Bode said:

Better description is a U-2 try out at the end of a two year 38 gig.

Best description: after spending 2 years flying T-38s in Northern California he gets to decide whether he’d like to pursue a U-2 assignment or some other path in life. CTP-only guys have a lot of street cred amongst the U-2 bros and are fully supported in whatever they want to do afterwards, especially if they want to try out for the U-2. They still have to complete the traditional interview process, but they’re all great pilots and already have the community’s respect. Maybe Huggy knows of a CTP a guy that didn’t get hired from a U-2 interview; if it’s ever happened it would’ve been many moons ago.

On 3/4/2019 at 3:37 PM, Mr.Elephant said:

Anyone have an intel on what the H-1 drops have been like lately? Haven't seen one on here in a while.  Obviously only three options but curious what the ratio is like and how big the drops are these days.

The drops are consistently varied and highly tailored to the class (benefits of the community and the CC/FTU support to the GSU). If you get on the 23d FTS facebook page you can look through all the prior drops. I don't have them handy but they have been averaging (for the past 2 years ish) roughly 1/3 H-1s, 1/3 H-60s, and maybe one or two CV's (or in some cases just more H-1's). Bottom line, the commander will fight for the student's dreamsheets. Standard rules apply: lowest guy gets Huey's to Minot, best guy gets first choice or voluntold to H-60's or CV's, top studs will usually be asked to FAIP but it's low pressure (they want you to want it, benefits are different than a T-6 FAIP).

• 4 weeks later...

CB 19-08/19-09

C-5 Dover

KC-10 McGuire x2

T-1 FAIP CB

T-6 FAIP CB

T-6 FAIP Vance

C-17 x3 Hickam, Charleston, Travis

C-17 x2 Guard, Reserve

C-130H x4 Guard/Reserve units

KC-135 x 3 Kadena, McConnell, Scott

C-130J x2 Ramstein, Dyess

MQ-9 Creech guard

E-3 Tinker

F-16 TBD

A-10 DM

F-2 Japan

F-15SA Saudi

KEND 19-08/19-09

T-38

2 x Saudi EuroFighter Typhoon
Saudi F-15SA
2 x Saudi F-15C
E-3 AWACS Tinker
F-16 Holloman
3 x F-16 Luke
2 x T-38 FAIP
F-35 Luke (was a FAIP)
A-10 Fort Wayne ANG
A-10 DM
C-130J Dyess 16

T-1

3 x KC-10 Travis
2 x KC-10 McGuire
KC-10 Travis (AFRS)
C-130J Dyess
C-130J Little Rock
HC-130J Combat King Patrick AFB
C-130H Youngstown ARS
2 x KC-135 Macdill
KC-135 Mildenhall
2 x KC-135 Fairchild
KC-135 McConnell
KC-135 Beale AFRS
KC-135 Phoenix
2 x C-5 Travis
C-5 Dover
2 x U-28 Hurlburt
C-17 Charlotte ANG
C-17 Dover
C-17 Charleston
C-17 Elmo
E-8 JSTARS Robins AFB
E-3 AWACS Tinker
T-1 FAIP

KDLF 19-08/19-09

T-38

Saudi Fighter TBD (x4)

F-35 Luke

F-16 Toledo ANG

F-16 TBD  (x5)

B-52 Barksdale

U-28 Hurlburt Field  (x3) 

E-8 Robins

T-1

KC-135 Fairchild (x3)

KC-135 McConnell (x2)

KC-135 Mildenhall

KC-135 Seymour-Johnson AFRC

KC-135 Grissom AFRC

KC-10 Travis

KC-10 JBMDL

C-17 Dover

C-17 JBLM

C-17 JBMDL

C-17 Charleston

C-17 Elmendorf

C-17 Dover

C-5 Travis

C-130J Dyess

E-3 Tinker

E-8 Robins

U-28 Hurlburt Field (x2)

1 hour ago, Richard_Butte said:

I guess I'm out of the loop...ADAIR doesn't go to raptors? I had heard sometimes you may get sent elsewhere but I didn't realize it turned into a full on "drop".

Yeah those days are over. Still not a bad gig though. I’d take that over faiping. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/3/2019 at 10:30 AM, Majestik Møøse said:

Best description: after spending 2 years flying T-38s in Northern California he gets to decide whether he’d like to pursue a U-2 assignment or some other path in life. CTP-only guys have a lot of street cred amongst the U-2 bros and are fully supported in whatever they want to do afterwards, especially if they want to try out for the U-2. They still have to complete the traditional interview process, but they’re all great pilots and already have the community’s respect. Maybe Huggy knows of a CTP a guy that didn’t get hired from a U-2 interview; if it’s ever happened it would’ve been many moons ago.

@HuggyU2     I’m curious, let’s find out.  I think the straight to Beale thing is a fairly new AF thing though, yes youngins, the Air Force existed before you.  Never saw it in 4 years at DLF, I have heard of a particular F-16 pilot that barely made it through MQT.

Edited by matmacwc

On 4/10/2019 at 5:49 PM, Richard_Butte said:

I guess I'm out of the loop...ADAIR doesn't go to raptors? I had heard sometimes you may get sent elsewhere but I didn't realize it turned into a full on "drop".

Correct, no longer a guarantee.

Still beats faip’ing imo, but they made the decision to stop providing the Raptor follow on months before these bros dropped in UPT and neglected to funnel that info appropriately.  These bros all thought they were going raptors until early this year...

Edited by Dudemanbro

28 minutes ago, Dudemanbro said:

Correct, no longer a guarantee.

Still beats faip’ing imo, but they made the decision to stop providing the Raptor follow on months before these bros dropped in UPT and neglected to funnel that info appropriately.  These bros all thought they were going raptors until early this year...

Good early lesson to the LTs on trusting the AF only so far.  Still going to fighters, so good deal either way. 

On 4/11/2019 at 1:30 PM, matmacwc said:

I think the straight to Beale thing is a fairly new AF thing 

Yes, 2Lt's coming to fly the T-38 at Beale is definitely a new change.  I personally see this as a unique data point that will only be repeated if a lot of variables are all met... i.e. I believe it is very unlikely to happen again.  

I don't believe it is the "good deal" everyone seems to think it is for the guy, but I'm sure he will enjoy the experience.  

Going back over 30 years, I can only think of 3 CTP-only pilots that decided to interview for the U-2.  All three were accepted.  Two made it through U-2 training.  (There may be a fourth but I can't remember at this late hour).  

All three had MWS backgrounds prior to going to T-38 PIT.  One of the three I met on a recruiting trip.  He was very interested in applying for the U-2 but already had orders to be a T-38 UPT instructor.  We were able to get his orders changed to Beale instead, with the hope that he would fly the T-38 two years and then interview.  That's what happened, and he's had a pretty good career to include a tour as a U-2 flying squadron commander.  

We had a former CTP-only T-38 instructor that left Beale not too long ago, and he's on this forum.  Maybe he will chime in with his thoughts. 

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Upvote 1

Exec Summary: The Dragonlady community and it's leadership is fantastic. These LTs are going to have to show up, hold the standard and keep it high without the traditional UPT overwatch. 

Beale and the 1RS is a tremendous opportunity in an awesome community, there is no doubt about it. I understand the world is a new weird place with innovation officers and VR (of which the 1RS has a really cool set up for teaching the deuce) instead of UPT sorties, so I'm not surprised that they're trying some new things here. Really, they'd be the first to do anything, thats what makes the U2 community so great, it's small enough that their hand-picked guys get to affect change, with leadership that trusts from top to bottom, unequivocally.

The tough part for these Lt's is that their job at Beale is to hold the standard in an A Model -38, in a community of professional pilots with thousands of hours, not within the constraints of a highly controlled UPT environment. It will not be easy to do that as an Lt, it wasn't as a Capt. They're going to have to be self reliant, and be ready to hold the line. 

In terms of staying in the community, having a home grown U2 guy come up through the ranks sounds great for everyone, if the dude doesn't want to stay (and he/she wasn't a total waste) Beale takes care of it's people. Whether it's a sarcastic ass with a mustache, or any number of folks who got hired and couldn't make it through training. They try and get people to where they are going within their sphere of influence. 

I'm the wrong guy to answer what any of it means career wise, I had plenty of opportunities to check off job titles, and even lead some awesome airmen. I could see a future with some hybrid of this program, kind of a 2+2 type deal. UPT gets it's pound of flesh, the 1RS gets more seasoned guys who have more years to learn about the Deuce and want to commit. If anyone knows these cats and wants to push them my way with questions, feel free. 

Hail Talons

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

CAFB Drop 19-10/16 Active Duty

T-1s

AC-130W Cannon
C-5 Travis
C-146 Duke
C-17 x 4 (Elmendorf, Hickam, McChord, McGuire)
C-130J Dyess
E-3 Tinker
KC-135 x 4 (2 x McConnell, Fairchild, Scott)
KC-10 x 2 (McConnell)
RC-135 Offutt
T-6 FAIP Columbus
U-28 Hurlburt

T-38s

A-10
B-52
F-16 x 2
F-35 
T-38 FAIP Columbus

There were some guard/reserve drops to March ARB, Charleston, Kelly and a couple more I can't remember

Edited by Mr.Elephant

On 5/17/2019 at 7:47 PM, Cobra-809 said:

May 17, 2019 Drop night at KDLF

Classes 19-10 and 19-16

IMG_20190517_204202.jpeg.6fafb2a4cc088858eddaadf80f582071.jpeg

Please let the ones headed to Kirtland know that they’ll be MC-J and not on the Chariot of Armageddon. They get trained exclusively at HRT if they’re headed that direction.

I’m guessing there was a theme, but what a shitty choice of fonts.  If one of the studs formatted these slides, he/she needs to just skip the FTU and go direct to a junior exec job in the ops squadron. He needs to learn what the AF truly values in its pilots. 

• Haha 1