Track Selects and Assignment Nights

Guest oliwoody

That's exactly what happened during TAMI21 and the dark ages of UPT when the CAF pilots saw the situation we are in currently enduring. GTFO ASAP. 

To be fair, and as a rape victim of Tami, I would have slept with BQZip's mom for an assignment to aggressors instead of droids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 4

Last year they gave B52s to T-6 guy who went through T-1s. To make matters worse they didn't want to take the bottom guys so some people received a surprised when some of the shit bags made out with why the other guys wanted. Wouldn't be supposed if the same happened this year. If I remember right the #4 of 9 FAIPs in my unit was hit with a BUFF.

On 7/19/2017 at 9:26 PM, matmacwc said:

Go with B-52 story.

Everyone was pretty shocked by it to be honest.  He's a good bro and a solid instructor.  Played the FAIP game reasonably well, did a decent amount of volunteer stuff and what not.  Only thing we've really thought of is that he pissed off the new commander of our sister squadron last year and that maybe that played into the rack and stack this year.  Also we got a new CC earlier this year and are guessing he didn't really fight for his people which doesn't really surprise anyone.  But again no one really knows why.  On the bright side the Buff community just got a solid bro who will do great things there.

In other news the person who got the MC-130 Kadena stormed out of the building in tears.

2 hours ago, YoungnDumb said:

In other news the person who got the MC-130 Kadena stormed out of the building in tears.

This always blows me away. 

#1) There's no crying in baseball. Or the military. 

#2) What the heck does some guy in UPT know about if his new jet is going to suck or not?

1 hour ago, Homestar said:

This always blows me away. 

#1) There's no crying in baseball. Or the military. 

#2) What the heck does some guy in UPT know about if his new jet is going to suck or not?

I will take a swing at #2. I wonder what perception he was fed. He's a young guy, right? Maybe impressionable like most young guys? I went thru pilot training over a decade ago and the perception I was fed was, certain communities have certain negative qualities attached. I remembered my T6 instructor was a washed out F-15 B course student turned AWACs driver. He constantly left us with the perception that AWACs was a dumping ground for inferior pilots i.e. in his mentoring he always reminded us how he was unable to meet the -15 standard and got sent down the MWS food chain. Fast forward ten years and the rhetoric appears to be the same when I hear the younger pilots talk. e.g. "Yeah, he got this (insert MWS) and those are only reserved for the weakest pilots". 

But it is not a one size fits all. What still gets discounted is that certain communities offer a QOL factor that is right for you. You just have to be lucky to know this is where you need to be at based on your particular stage of life (timing) and some solid mentoring from the older heads.

All communities are going have good and bad pilots, bros and duches, great and terrible locations, with degrees of awesome to shitty command climate. 

BL: I wish we (been there done that crowd) as a community realize how our perceptions shape the views and expectation management of the younger guys coming up.

And Kadena is a wicked great location!

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, 1111 said:

I will take a swing at #2. ... when I hear the younger pilots talk. e.g. "Yeah, he got this (insert MWS) and those are only reserved for the weakest pilots".....

And Kadena is a wicked great location!

I understand that this guy/gal perhaps had their hopes/dreams somewhat crushed in not getting a (inset dream jet here).  But this pilot should be happy they got what they did, just getting to fly any of Uncle Sam's hardware is a gift and privilege that so few get to do.   It still takes a lot of skill and dedication to safely operate these "lower on the food chain MWS jets" so suck it up buttercup and bloom where you're planted.  There are a metric shit ton of enlisted maintainers working jets pumping gas, pulling panels, kicking chocks, etc...  in all kinds of weather that would gladly swap places in a micro-second if they were able to.  At least he/she got a real airplane and they're not off to sit in a box (STS) at Cheech/Cannon or where ever flying droids.  OBTW, only ever spent time at Kadena while TDY, but sure looked like a kick-ass place.        

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, YoungnDumb said:

Everyone was pretty shocked by it to be honest.  He's a good bro and a solid instructor.  Played the FAIP game reasonably well, did a decent amount of volunteer stuff and what not.  Only thing we've really thought of is that he pissed off the new commander of our sister squadron last year and that maybe that played into the rack and stack this year.  Also we got a new CC earlier this year and are guessing he didn't really fight for his people which doesn't really surprise anyone.  But again no one really knows why.  On the bright side the Buff community just got a solid bro who will do great things there.

To be honest, and as much as it sucks for those having to take those bullets, communities like buffs have a very important mission and you want good dudes going there.  At a certain point it's needs of the Air Force and you have to bloom where planted.  Same for RPAs although my arguement is that there should be a solely separate pipeline filled with motivated dudes instead of dudes who got their dreams crushed on assignment night. 

As for the crying over an MC-130!? It's a small Air Force and that person is in for hell when they get to their unit when they find out said individual acted like a child over getting one of the coolest missions in the Air Force.  Reminds me of a gal who cried over C-17s a few assignment nights before mine.  The unit got word and she was a Pariah before she even showed up.  

• Upvote 1

The last round of UPT directs to RPAs are all being told they will be sent back to a manned MWS no later than beginning of FY19. That means out on the Summer 2018 VML, which is only 2.5ish years in RPAs for most. Definitely a win for those guys, the 18X pipeline is finally starting to do its job.

4 hours ago, Guardian said:

They should be releasing the last of the Tami 21 people to the airlines any day.

Always cracked me up how the leadership said the UPT direct guys can go to in plane flying but the Tami 21 guys are f'ked

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Huh?  TAMI dudes were flowed back out to their jets about the same timeframe as the first UPT directs.

...unless they re-cat'ed

7 hours ago, MooseAg03 said:

The last round of UPT directs to RPAs are all being told they will be sent back to a manned MWS no later than beginning of FY19. That means out on the Summer 2018 VML, which is only 2.5ish years in RPAs for most. Definitely a win for those guys, the 18X pipeline is finally starting to do its job.

Since the MQ-1s are being retired those UPT Ds are going back this winter/spring. I was one of the first UPT D guys from this latest round that got a 9, I was told to expect a fall 2018 PCS. That would exactly 3 years from assignment night and 2.5 on station. 

FWIW, the initial 18x commitments are up next year, and 95% are not staying. My squadron will literally loose every eval/instructor we have before 2019. 

1 hour ago, viper154 said:

Since the MQ-1s are being retired those UPT Ds are going back this winter/spring. I was one of the first UPT D guys from this latest round that got a 9, I was told to expect a fall 2018 PCS. That would exactly 3 years from assignment night and 2.5 on station. 

FWIW, the initial 18x commitments are up next year, and 95% are not staying. My squadron will literally loose every eval/instructor we have before 2019. 

The RPA community is going to face a similar exodus to civilian RPAs (which pay much more) that we are facing in the pilot community.  It's time for enlisted RPA operators. For Fs sake, if we can trust a 19 year old Army E2 to take a 50 cal to the head of a terrorist then we can train at least some USAF NCOs to drop some hellfires from MQ-9s.  I know some enlisted have already started cross training but I don't understand why this isn't a bigger push.  I could find you dozens of enlisted folks sitting at a computer all day that would kill to fly RPAs and do well at it.

• Upvote 1

The RPA community is going to face a similar exodus to civilian RPAs (which pay much more) that we are facing in the pilot community.  It's time for enlisted RPA operators. For Fs sake, if we can trust a 19 year old Army E2 to take a 50 cal to the head of a terrorist then we can train at least some USAF NCOs to drop some hellfires from MQ-9s.  I know some enlisted have already started cross training but I don't understand why this isn't a bigger push.  I could find you dozens of enlisted folks sitting at a computer all day that would kill to fly RPAs and do well at it.

What you're really asking is, why not enlisted pilots?

.  I could find you dozens of enlisted folks sitting at a computer all day that would kill to fly RPAs and do well at it.

And then, when their enlistments are up, they would kill to also GTFO and make more money on the outside. Paying someone even less to do the same job isn't going to fix the problem.

1 hour ago, dream big said:

This solves nothing - as a "solution" it will only exacerbate the problem. For the reason identified below:

4 minutes ago, ihtfp06 said:

And then, when their enlistments are up, they would kill to also GTFO and make more money on the outside. Paying someone even less to do the same job isn't going to fix the problem.

Shack.