Track Selects and Assignment Nights

Guest oliwoody

1 hour ago, Lord Ratner said:

Actually, I haven't been able to figure this one out.

Sent from my Vitamix 450x Professional using Tapatalk

If I had to guess, it's because they shut off the pipeline when I went through (09-10.) 

Of the 3 guys who went T-38s in my class, one got KC-135s, one got T-6 FAIP (now BUFFs) and the other got UAVs. They combined our 3 guys with the prior (or next class, don't remember) and of those 6, only one person got a fighter (F-15s).

It was like that for the entire CY, and then some. Plus all the other aforementioned stuff in the thread.

• Upvote 2

I've said it before in this thread and I'll say it again: I simply cannot fathom wanting to do something for such a long time and then being talked out of it because it may be difficult. JFC, you put up with all the bullshit to get to the fucking fun part and now you want to bail out! Yes, I realize I sound like Clark Griswold.

Source material for all you millennial chodes that are hiding from having to do a lot of "Boldface and Ops Limits" sheets.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, pawnman said:

Counter point, there's a reason fighters have the worst shortage of pilots despite having the largest bonus.

Flying fighters and hanging out with the bros is not the reason there is a shortage of fighter pilots. 

alot of folks feel the AMC heavy life is superior...Pay, lifestyle, hours, world travel, civilian opportunities down the road... it's all better if you fly heavies

Wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, pawnman said:

Counter point, there's a reason fighters have the worst shortage of pilots despite having the largest bonus.

This is an ignorant statement. The bonus is irrelevant. It's not big enough to change minds regardless of airframe, duration or current $$ involved.  

Did anyone imagine that closing multiple FTU squadrons would have 2nd/3rd order effects when they did so in 2009/10?  No, because it was all driven by politics and no one was looking at what the AF actually needed. We went through a period where training at Luke was so backed up punks were waiting 12+ months post-UPT for their FTU, so fighters stopped dropping. There was nowhere to train them.  Those of us who were CGOs back then laughed at what would happen in a few years; SQ/CCs shrugged and senior leaders drank their Kool-Aid, ignoring anyone who said the sky is falling. This is a failure of leadership, not an issue with "fighters" chasing people out the door.  The AF has a culture problem in general, not just in fighters.    

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, bb17 said:

What ever happened to those pilots anyway? 

Single-mission Air Medal for a practical demonstration of the short-field capabilities of the C-17

Simmer down now fellas. Seems like once a month everyone gets all keyboard warrior and starts measuring manhood. There are positives in most communities, no one has the market cornered for coolest job in the Air Force and UPT studs don't know what they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

• Upvote 2

On 7/4/2017 at 3:59 PM, pilotguy said:

alot of folks feel the AMC heavy life is superior...Pay, lifestyle, hours, world travel, civilian opportunities down the road... it's all better if you fly heavies

Goldfein just laid out the typical fighter tour at Shaw...ya right now heavy life is way way better than that...

Fair enough, I was more driving at the fact that the studs don't get a fair view of a fighter/bomber lifestyle all they get is one side of the story.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Duck said:

Simmer down now fellas. Seems like once a month everyone gets all keyboard warrior and starts measuring manhood. There are positives in most communities, no one has the market cornered for coolest job in the Air Force and UPT studs don't know what they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

They are clueless I'll give you that. Haha

On 7/5/2017 at 2:21 AM, ihtfp06 said:

Single-mission Air Medal for a practical demonstration of the short-field capabilities of the C-17

One of them was my flt cc at usafa for a short time. He said they Q3'd the crew and they moved out of the 17. That was his last assignment before getting out and he now flys for the airlines. 

Just out of curiosity - is it common/possible for guys to request to trade drops? In the above example, the guy that was upset about getting an F-16; could he have found another T-38 stud and traded assignments with him if they wanted each others airframe?

On the surface it seems like it would make sense so that everybody's happy but I'm sure there's more to it than that 

One of them was my flt cc at usafa for a short time. He said they Q3'd the crew and they moved out of the 17. That was his last assignment before getting out and he now flys for the airlines. 

The AMC special. I know only one one guy in the -17 who Q3'd without getting pushed out of the community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, rti35 said:

Just out of curiosity - is it common/possible for guys to request to trade drops? In the above example, the guy that was upset about getting an F-16; could he have found another T-38 stud and traded assignments with him if they wanted each others airframe?

On the surface it seems like it would make sense so that everybody's happy but I'm sure there's more to it than that 

Fuck him and his "happiness". 

In other instances, I've seen swaps happen when studs are better fits AND are good dudes. However, that opens up Pandora's Box and people that can't get an assignment swapped have a legitimate gripe.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

him and his "happiness". 

In other instances, I've seen swaps happen when studs are better fits AND are good dudes. However, that opens up Pandora's Box and people that can't get an assignment swapped have a legitimate gripe.

Thanks for the info. Of course I'm not planning on having to do it but it's good to know there's at least a slim possibility to swap assignments if it can be mutually beneficial.

2 hours ago, rti35 said:

JFC...actually there is a "happiness" and "fairness" index built into each score so every SNAP stud gets what he wants and goes home a "winner"

+1 to dangers post

I've always thought drop night would be more fun if they just put the list of planes for that class up on a board and call the studs up in rank order.  #1 gets first pick, etc...  Yes, someone will be last and their plane will be the only one left, and that's OK.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, HU&W said:

I've always thought drop night would be more fun if they just put the list of planes for that class up on a board and call the studs up in rank order.  #1 gets first pick, etc...  Yes, someone will be last and their plane will be the only one left, and that's OK.

This is how the Army does it.

We find out the list of airframes right before selection.  They bring each person up in OML order and sometimes even the very last guy wins too!  Sometimes everyone wants apaches and all the Army has to offer that day is blackhawks....other days...everyone wants Chinooks and all they have is apaches...

There are also two separate lists for selection.  One for Officers and one for Warrant Officers.

11 minutes ago, HU&W said:

That's how the Navy does ship assignments for new ensigns, at least those graduating from the Academy. There's definitely more variation going on there, though, since I think they pick down to the actual ship (so it becomes, "Well I want to be based here, but this ship has better promotion opportunities, this one I might command sooner, etc.").

21 minutes ago, HU&W said:

That's how the AF did it back when Corpus was still open. Very fair imo. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

JFC...actually there is a "happiness" and "fairness" index built into each score so every SNAP stud gets what he wants and goes home a "winner"

+1 to dangers post

I agree with the mentality that whatever you get is what you get and make the best of it. Everyone going into UPT thru Active Duty knows (or should know) the deal and how the drop process works, it's not a secret. I was just curious if the AF allowed swaps and if it was common.

Edited by rti35