Track Selects and Assignment Nights

Guest oliwoody

2 hours ago, Duck said:

"non-vol'd to F-16s. "

A combination of letters and numbers that shouldn't exist outside of satire. Can't believe there wasn't a star somewhere who could sign off on a trade of assignments to some other studs somewhere who wanted it. I bet that stigma followed those guys too.

A combination of letters and numbers that shouldn't exist outside of satire. Can't believe there wasn't a star somewhere who could sign off on a trade of assignments to some other studs somewhere who wanted it. I bet that stigma followed those guys too.

Not sure that many graduated from IFF.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Whatever you end up flying is the best airplane in the Air Force.

Agree to disagree. But for you chitlins out there, just make the best and see the positives in whichever community the AF assignment roulette places you.

On 7/2/2017 at 3:49 PM, Duck said:

We had a case a couple years ago where there were guys at ENJJPT decided they didn't want fighters but were non-vol'd to F-16s. No one wins in that fight. Air Force or the stud.

This is still the case unfortunately, there have been at least 3 instances in FY 17 drops here at Sheppard so far. In one case the student wanted the C-17 but was so low in the class the three C-17s available were already taken and the stud ended up getting a Viper because that's all that was left...

• Upvote 2

This is still the case unfortunately, there have been at least 3 instances in FY 17 drops here at Sheppard so far. In one case the student wanted the C-17 but was so low in the class the three C-17s available were already taken and the stud ended up getting a Viper because that's all that was left...

This is like your friend getting dumped by the crazy chick who was cheating on him...in hindsight it'll be the best thing that could've happened.

If he can't cut it in fighters then he'll go to a heavy anyhow.

All the shit talking going on by fighter pilots making it "seem" undesired and rubbing off on uniformed naive students can only really be interpreted by fighter pilots who know what it's about...it still beats 96.69% of jobs out there.

• Upvote 2

This is like your friend getting dumped by the crazy chick who was cheating on him...in hindsight it'll be the best thing that could've happened.

If he can't cut it in fighters then he'll go to a heavy anyhow.

All the shit talking going on by fighter pilots making it "seem" undesired and rubbing off on uniformed naive students can only really be interpreted by fighter pilots who know what it's about...it still beats 96.69% of jobs out there.

Unless you're lazy

Sent from my Vitamix 450x Professional using Tapatalk

Yep...and I'll be the asshole who says the unpalatable truth: upt studs are likely getting the long rehearsed BGC version from the few fighter pilots who are at UPT because they got "screwed."  Things are much different than 5+ years ago, the fighter community cannot afford to send all but the lower performers to an ALFA tour (certainly not the case when I went through). And that's the pool of IPs studs are forming their opinions from/on. I only hope there are enough older reservists around who don't fall into this category, but I have a feeling that's not the case/they're part time, so exposure is limited with those guys. Caveat: I realize this is a general statement, not saying every single dude falls in this category, but you're lying to yourself if you don't think most fall into it, for the current time period at least. 

• Upvote 2

Here we go with this stupid argument again by people who haven't taught at UPT in the last 3-5 years or ever.  They aren't sending any fighter guys to UPT anymore , period as of a year or so ago because of the shortage.  Before that , a BML had 8 of 8 go to Ops including non-vols because of manning and the very next one had 1 of 8 Ops. And he problem starts in T-6s for the studs and not 38s. There is zero fighter awareness or culture in T-6s anymore besides maybe the SQ CC so all these kids hear shot for their first 6 months is how you don't want 38s, that's lame , go heavys and travel the world.  So we start with getting non-vol that wanted Tones.  Now you have to show them that 38s aren't what they have heard from across the street at all. Another problem is nunber 1 and 2 in T-6s get their first choice so if they want T-1s, fine. But now you have middle of the class person who gets 38s and then drops a F-16 even though they are last in the class. Could anyone fly it ?  Potentially. But IMO a lot more class As are heading our way soon.  

Yep...and I'll be the asshole who says the unpalatable truth: upt studs are likely getting the long rehearsed BGC version from the few fighter pilots who are at UPT because they got "screwed."  Things are much different than 5+ years ago, the fighter community cannot afford to send all but the lower performers to an ALFA tour (certainly not the case when I went through). And that's the pool of IPs studs are forming their opinions from/on. I only hope there are enough older reservists around who don't fall into this category, but I have a feeling that's not the case/they're part time, so exposure is limited with those guys. Caveat: I realize this is a general statement, not saying every single dude falls in this category, but you're lying to yourself if you don't think most fall into it, for the current time period at least. 

You are exactly right and on the flip side AMC is non-voling guys who didn't want to leave, thus filling studs heads with an overly optimistic view of heavy life. From my point most reservists are simply finishing up their 20 or planning their exit. UPT has changed drastically in the last 4 years.

1 hour ago, brabus said:

Considering -38 squadrons at UPT (in my neck of the woods at least) are only allowed to be 25% fighter manned max, so any fighter experience is usually greatly appreciated. 

7 hours ago, Sparkle said:

"boo hoo all i got was a viper"

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

"boo hoo all i got was a viper"

I remember being at my first drop at ENJJPT 10 years ago as a bright eyed casual awaiting pilot training and watching a grown man cry in stage because he really wanted to fly C models and got a Viper.

Fast forward 6 months later and half the class was getting predators.

It's all about perspective.
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Duck said:

watching a grown man cry in stage because he really wanted to fly C models and got a Viper.

Maybe he really wanted to be a part of the, um, "community of men" in the C-model in the days before the repeal of DADT?

• Upvote 8

We only had one fighter guy in my T-6 squadron and most of the rest were AMC or FAIPs. The stories of per diem, luxury hotels, and "T-Funs" swayed a lot of studs and helped make their decision. There were the horror stories of the -38 squadron making you do a thousand BF/OLs and the IPs making flying jets more of a hassle than it's worth. They were tossing around the idea of non-vols so they stole some T-38 IPs to talk to the studs, but if anything, it made it worse as it was too late (a week from track) and everyone had made up their minds.

• Upvote 1

I would kill for a fast mover. Full respect to all communities and airframes but I'd even volunteer to be a FAIP if it gave me a better shot at a jet later.  

I think the new C-5M still holds the time to climb record and it has 4 jet engines. I can probably talk to your UPT flight Commander if you want...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, FishBowl said:

We only had one fighter guy in my T-6 squadron and most of the rest were AMC or FAIPs. The stories of per diem, luxury hotels, and "T-Funs" swayed a lot of studs and helped make their decision. There were the horror stories of the -38 squadron making you do a thousand BF/OLs and the IPs making flying jets more of a hassle than it's worth. They were tossing around the idea of non-vols so they stole some T-38 IPs to talk to the studs, but if anything, it made it worse as it was too late (a week from track) and everyone had made up their minds.

This is 100% what is happening at UPT right now.  I've seen dozens of studs who started out wanting fighters switch their dreamsheets because "I've heard the T-1 is fun and that T-38 IP's are mean," or "I've heard from 33 IP's how awesome the C-17 is."  In all seriousness there are more C-17 drivers than FAIPs in my squadron, it's pretty ridiculous, especially since they all keep trying to land at the wrong airport.

• Upvote 2

In all seriousness there are more C-17 drivers than FAIPs in my squadron, it's pretty ridiculous, especially since they all keep trying to land at the wrong airport.

You know why this joke never gets old?

Because they keep trying to do it!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, YoungnDumb said:

This is 100% what is happening at UPT right now.  I've seen dozens of studs who started out wanting fighters switch their dreamsheets because "I've heard the T-1 is fun and that T-38 IP's are mean," or "I've heard from 33 IP's how awesome the C-17 is."  In all seriousness there are more C-17 drivers than FAIPs in my squadron, it's pretty ridiculous, especially since they all keep trying to land at the wrong airport.

alot of folks feel the AMC heavy life is superior...Pay, lifestyle, hours, world travel, civilian opportunities down the road... it's all better if you fly heavies

Goldfein just laid out the typical fighter tour at Shaw...ya right now heavy life is way way better than that...

2 hours ago, ThreeHoler said:

You know why this joke never gets old?

Because they keep trying to do it!

What ever happened to those pilots anyway? 

alot of folks feel the AMC heavy life is superior...Pay, lifestyle, hours, world travel, civilian opportunities down the road... it's all better if you fly heavies
Goldfein just laid out the typical fighter tour at Shaw...ya right now heavy life is way way better than that...

There's one aspect everyone keeps overlooking: you only get one chance in your life to fly fighters, if you're lucky.

Definitely not for everyone but, if pay, hours, or lifestyle have anything to do with whether or not you want to join the club, then we don't want you and you probably won't make it anyways.

There will be a time when I'm done flying fighters and I'll leave this all behind. I won't miss the long hours, all the hard work, or the stress that is intrinsic to the job. I will miss the flying, shooting the gun, lasing bombs in, Turkey shoots, BFM, roll calls, naming ceremonies, and all the shenanigans with the bros.

When the time comes, I'll move on, but I'll really miss all the amazing shit I did with all the amazing people. All the hard work is definitely worth it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Upvote 14

6 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

There's one aspect everyone keeps overlooking: you only get one chance in your life to fly fighters, if you're lucky.

Definitely not for everyone but, if pay, hours, or lifestyle have anything to do with whether or not you want to join the club, then we don't want you and you probably won't make it anyways.

There will be a time when I'm done flying fighters and I'll leave this all behind. I won't miss the long hours, all the hard work, or the stress that is intrinsic to the job. I will miss the flying, shooting the gun, lasing bombs in, Turkey shoots, BFM, roll calls, naming ceremonies, and all the shenanigans with the bros.

When the time comes, I'll move on, but I'll really miss all the amazing shit I did with all the amazing people. All the hard work is definitely worth it.

Counter point, there's a reason fighters have the worst shortage of pilots despite having the largest bonus.

I'm not saying everyone should make a career out of it. I'm simply stating that you'll only have the opportunity to do some of the coolest shit in the world one time in your life, and it's worth it. You can always move on later down the road.

Edit: I understand that, after 12 years in, those points above are all valid reasons to separate. Shouldn't be a deciding factor for a young dude out of UPT.

• Upvote 3