Track Selects and Assignment Nights

Guest oliwoody

I'd argue we're already not far off from there. The number from Dewey right now is that AMC is short by 315, and like somebody pointed out in the ACP thread, that's after a reduction to the crew ratio in some airframes to try to make the slides greener. I think everybody knows how this one's gonna play out...

1 hour ago, mcbush said:

I'd argue we're already not far off from there. The number from Dewey right now is that AMC is short by 315, and like somebody pointed out in the ACP thread, that's after a reduction to the crew ratio in some airframes to try to make the slides greener. I think everybody knows how this one's gonna play out...

I can tell you (at least roughly) how it's going to play out for the MAF year group(s)--like the one that's currently graduating--which get shorted for bodies, in favor of the CAF:

- They'll all start their flying careers being really busy, flying a bunch and getting sq jobs folks in prior year groups would never have gotten so early

- Way too early in their careers, the bright and shiny types will be identified, and will quickly join the protected class which rarely flies or deploys/is set up for the string of jobs/assignments that will make them really promotable. The next tier down--the ones not on the leadership track, but who are competent/dependable--will get crushed with all the important, yet non-sexy (read hardship) deployments & home station jobs. The middle of the packers--good flyers, but not great leaders/staff types--will fly their arses off and also get crushed with deployments. Those (at least according to AF perceptions) who are at the bottom of the pack will likely enjoy a level of job security that in prior years they never would have had. That is, until such time that they get RIFd--because, of course, the AF needs to retain its critically manned 11Fs (even though in this year group the 11Fs will be overmanned relative to 11Ms/others). 

- About 10 years from now, the bright and shinies (the ones who bother to stay on AD) will be in IDE & will already be largely disconnected from ground truths in the mobility community. The second-tier & middle of the road guys--if the civil sector is hiring--will get out in droves. The bottom of the pack folks will likely stay in. 

- 20 years from now, the bright and shinies will still be bright and shiny, and more importantly will have had careers that in no way reflect the experiences of the masses. The second-tier and middle of the road folks will all be retired, or--at best--will still be on AD, but enjoying cush jobs (the only kinds of jobs that could entice them to stay in). The bottom dwellers who survived being passed over/RIFs/etc. will still be on AD, too. They'll be the middle managers. 

The O-6 and above MAF leaders will have some really awesome ideas, after having spent so much time in schools/as execs/on staffs. Problem is, their middle managers--the passed-over O-4 and O-5 types--will almost exclusively be the middle of the roaders and bottom dwellers of yesteryear. Those executing the missions will almost exclusively be folks with less than 10 years rated service--i.e., folks who haven't yet had the opportunity to punch. 

In sum, we'll have a whole bunch of good idea generators, but lack adequate numbers of competent people to put those ideas (whether good--or more likely good-sounding but questionable) into action. 

Funny. This situation I describe twenty years from now kinda sounds like where the MAF is today: out of touch O-6 and above types, a razor-thin slice of competent O4s and O-5s trying to keep the ship afloat, and a bunch of junior dudes who are 1) eyeing life outside of AD, and 2) unimpressed by the AF clownshow. Problem is, ten years ago, we had the "good fortune" of 9/11, the Great Recession, and FAA rule changes to encourage folks to remain on AD. Consequently, we were able to retain at least a degree of talent. Barring another catastrophe, I don't see the Air Force future as being quite so rosy for the current crop of recent MAF SUPT graduates. The MAF will be even more broken, but at least there'll be enough CAF bubbas to fill the AF's senior leadership roles, going forward. So we'll have that going for us.

TT

• Upvote 14

Hate to say it right now at McChord we are so busy that few first assignment guys are even able to be "protected". We just finished our busiest year in 7 years with one less squadron and the other squadrons that are 25-30% smaller than they've ever been. If you are an airland guy you are getting crushed with missions, we have brand new copilots that are getting 600-700 hours in thier first six months. Aidrop guys aren't flying missions as much but are doing homestation JA/ATTs, and spending 1-2 weeks a month at Pope, Basic Airborne or exercises. Also Airdrop guys are looking at more ground deployments (MPC or CAOC) since they all require airdrop quals.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, TnkrToad said:

TT

All valid and checks with my experience in AMC, 2000 to 2005, time frame.

Just to light a candle could you fix this by tying promotion eligibility, flight pay, PCS eligibility, etc... by objective measure of flying hours (Other time excluded) and TDY days relative to MDS in AMC? 

If you don't at least have the average number of flight hours, TDYs, etc... no PHOENIX, in-residence, etc... a bright and shiny could be selected but in order to actually go, he/she would have to get their Died time and hours, this could give a respite for the commoners when needed.  Getting an extra pause or two before going back on the road would have been a Godsend.

Flight Pay, changing the eligibility or level of pay (full or partial) based on flight hours is probably too big a fish to fry but if the AMC/CC wanted to (that's the rub) - he could change the AMC culture to favor operational experience as the key to leadership opportunities.  

The bright and shiny's can still have their club but to go to the next level of the Chosen, you have to have one tour where you at least met the average in operations... not holding breath.

Edited by Clark Griswold

Hate to say it right now at McChord we are so busy that few first assignment guys are even able to be "protected". We just finished our busiest year in 7 years with one less squadron and the other squadrons that are 25-30% smaller than they've ever been. If you are an airland guy you are getting crushed with missions, we have brand new copilots that are getting 600-700 hours in thier first six months. Aidrop guys aren't flying missions as much but are doing homestation JA/ATTs, and spending 1-2 weeks a month at Pope, Basic Airborne or exercises. Also Airdrop guys are looking at more ground deployments (MPC or CAOC) since they all require airdrop quals.

Welcome to AMC. I had 800 hours in 9.5 months my first year at TCM with 280 days TDY, most of it across the pond. Turned around the next year for CPAD, deployed for 120 and airdropped my face off.

You're in a good place, trust me. Make the most of it and you will have doors open for you when you need them to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

700 hours in 6 months?  So, 2 x vol3 waivers in a row?  Who is signing those waivers?  

Should have say 600-700 hours in approximately their first six months. Yes we had people time out on their 30 or 90 day time or just be skirting the edge of timing out continuously for months.

16 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Should have say 600-700 hours in approximately their first six months. Yes we had people time out on their 30 or 90 day time or just be skirting the edge of timing out continuously for months.

Copy.  I've seen the 30 day waiver regularly.  But only once a 90 day waiver; back to back 90 day waivers would be an incredible risk acceptance by the A3.  So bottom line, lots of flying up there but still within the vol 3 limits?  I know it's a grind, but you'll miss it eventually!

I was gone for most if the year (deployed + schoolhouse) so all I know is from what in see from the LTs in my squadron after the fact. I don't know if any waivers were approved, but since alot of our flying included almost continuous POTUS/VPOTUS 1A1 stuff it wouldnt surprise me if the A3 did approve some. 

Edited by Fuzz

8 hours ago, yankeetango said:

Welcome to AMC. I had 800 hours in 9.5 months my first year at TCM with 280 days TDY, most of it across the pond. Turned around the next year for CPAD, deployed for 120 and airdropped my face off.

You're in a good place, trust me. Make the most of it and you will have doors open for you when you need them to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep no complaints from me, McChord is a great base with stellar leadership in literally every position from WG/CC to ever squadron commander in the OG. Which is really driving a focus on and valuing of training and mission hacking over queep

Edited by Fuzz

• 2 weeks later...

Could be worse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't have to tell me brother. I graduated when 38s were only getting preds or U-28s.

Now a days you can Class A a jet, meet 2 TRBs and get a Viper! I seen it!

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

CBM 17-05:

38s:

3 x F16 to Holloman

1 x F15E Seymour

1 x A10 DM

1 x T38 Faip

T1s:

U28 Hurlburt 

T6 FAIP

KC10 Mcguire 

EC130H DM

C17 Charleston 

C130J Little Rock

KC135 Macdill 

(Some guard 17s, 135s)

Edited by Rooster

12 hours ago, Inertia17 said:

DLF 17-05:

38s:

2 x F-16

F-15E

A-10

B-52

T-6 FAIP

Was the B-52 a special case?  Asking because earlier someone mentioned T-38s going solely to fighters unless specifically rec'd not to.  Good drop!

Also 2 U-28s, a CV-22, and MC-130 from tones... is AFSOC needing pilots for these?  I'm not sure whether or not it's unusual to have 4 spec ops drops.  Thanks!

25 minutes ago, Thor said:

Was the B-52 a special case?  Asking because earlier someone mentioned T-38s going solely to fighters unless specifically rec'd not to.  Good drop!

Also 2 U-28s, a CV-22, and MC-130 from tones... is AFSOC needing pilots for these?  I'm not sure whether or not it's unusual to have 4 spec ops drops.  Thanks!

No idea man. I was just there. All that AFPC voodoo is well above my level. One would imagine they need pilots if they are dropping...

• Upvote 1