Track Selects and Assignment Nights

Guest oliwoody

11 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

You guys still don't have this years' FAIP drop yet?  Un-!ng believable.

Nope.  Last we heard from our OG (this was 1-2 months back) was that due to the fighter crisis AFPC was trying to route all eligible FAIPs to fighters and none to bombers.  Since then we haven't heard squat.  The F-35 guys got their assignments early due to the 35 B-Course starting this fall, the rest of us are still waiting.

I heard since these last couple student classes coming through have been stocked full of "incredible hands of gold" (why else would they all get fighters) that they were going to let FAIPs soak up all the Buffs... Kidding. I love you FAIPs.

• Upvote 2

The C17 community (can't speak for any other airframe) has been searching for volunteers to cross flow to fighters. It will be highly selective and even T1 guys can go for it if they want. Also the C17 was considered overmanned on paper so classic Air Force shut off the pipeline and way overshot the mark. Now there is a shortage of copilots and the community is as busy as it has been in a very long time. Some copilots are maxing out hours for the month, post mission crew rest is being waived, and new guys are getting ~400 hours in the first 6 months. Lastly no RPA's will be given as second assignments to C17 pilots for the time being. 

• Upvote 1

Vance 16-14

Guard c-17 Mach AFB
GUARD F-22 HAWAII
GUARD KC-135 SIOUX CITY, Iowa 
E-8 JOINT STARS ROBINS, GA
C-130j dyess, TX 
KC-135 Fairchild, WA 
T-6 FAIP VANCE, OK 
CV 22 Hurlburt, FL
C-17 Charleston AFB
KC135 Macdill Afb 
T-6 FAIP VANCE, OK
Singapore A380 
C-17 Dover AFB
KC-135 McConnell AFB
T-1 FAIP VANCE AFB 
AC-130j hurlburt, Florida
Ac-130j hurlburt, Florida 
F15c Kingsley field, or

• Upvote 1

On August 27, 2016 at 1:49 AM, bobbylight said:

Lastly no RPA's will be given as second assignments to C17 pilots for the time being. 

Latest VML at TCM has at least one...also the crossflow is being discussed over in the "switching airframes" thread. 

...Back to the drops!

I've heard the F-22 pipeline is backed up 2-3 years?

False. They're rifling guys through so fast that there is a scary lack of experience in the squadrons.

This rumor you've heard is likely a mixup between F-22 bros and T-38A adversary air bros at the same base. If a UPT grad gets ADAIR, they will likely be in that sq for two years before F-22 transition. This doesn't mean the pipeline is backed up, it just means there are a lot of potential candidates for the Raptor program. It's incredibly competitive and great for the community to get the best of the best.

Latest VML at TCM has at least one...also the crossflow is being discussed over in the "switching airframes" thread. 

...Back to the drops!

This may be the wing planning for the worst, according to the AFPC RPA assignments guy, there will be no more crossflows or UPT directs unless something changes like a huge increase in CAPs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, MooseAg03 said:

This may be the wing planning for the worst, according to the AFPC RPA assignments guy, there will be no more crossflows or UPT directs unless something changes like a huge increase in CAPs.

...or for the coming exodus of 18X folks in the next couple of years. Buddy of mine at Cannon said nearly all of the ones he knows plan to bail after their 6 years.

I do hope that I'm wrong, but I don't see a crossflow/UPT-direct ever truly going away, unfortunately (although we may be lucky enough to see them stop, for short periods at a time).

Edited by WheelsOff

35 minutes ago, WheelsOff said:

...or for the coming exodus of 18X folks in the next couple of years. Buddy of mine at Cannon said nearly all of the ones he knows plan to bail after their 6 years.

When did 18X start?  

Edit:  Nevermind... fine, I googled it.  Jan 2012.  T-minus 1.5 years or so until the sky falls in that community, too.

Edited by Champ Kind

I do hope that I'm wrong, but I don't see a crossflow/UPT-direct ever truly going away, unfortunately (although we may be lucky enough to see them stop, for short periods at a time).

True, they have no idea what percentage of retention they should plan for, I've asked them three times and gotten no answer as to what they're planning for. Dropping an RPA on this VML makes no sense to backfill a shortage that might happen in 2 years. URT and Holloman have ramped up production significantly, and some of us are being let go back into cockpits. I have a small bit of optimism that the next VML might see me escape RPAs. If not, add one more loss to the pilot exodus.

Not only will 18Xs be a problem in a few years, they aren't even thinking about Sensor Operator retention right now.

I can't tell you what will happen either. Guineapig has ample reason to fear the worse. That being said, at a recent professional development day off from droning (read drinking and smoking cigars) the newer 18xers seemed quite content to continue to stay in the career field. Hopefully that echoes true for the foreseeable future. I'm done though. Peace Creech.