Thunderbirds

Sneedro

They basically had to train their maintenance dudes to be able to make a show Viper combat ready in a matter of hours to make Big Blue happy.

I'm not so sure this is actually the root cause of your point. The T-Birds have "always" had a DOC statement requirement to be able to become a combat-capable squadron in 72 hours (although I am almost certain that in my CONUS storage I have their 1983 promo brochure that says this time frame is 48 hours and not 72...). This was true with the Phantom and the Hun, at least, and continues to be true with the Viper.

Of course, it's complete hyperbole -- hell, actual C1 combat capable fighter squadrons could barely get to night 1 of a war in 48 hours...I can't imagine what the ORM would be for dudes who hadn't flown anything but fingertip formation for the last 6 months to go out and fly SAT in indian country.

Of course, it's complete hyperbole -- hell, actual C1 combat capable fighter squadrons could barely get to night 1 of a war in 48 hours...I can't imagine what the ORM would be for dudes who hadn't flown anything but fingertip formation for the last 6 months to go out and fly SAT in indian country.

But they would atleast look fabulous doing it. :thumbsup:

• Upvote 1

• 8 years later...
6 hours ago, gearpig said:

WTF? Is this actual Thunderbird interplane audio

Yes, all of the multi-ship demo teams use the sing-songy (and what appears to be somewhat loose compared to other mil flying) comm.  It originally started with using the voice cadence to indicate the onset of G or roll rates or the pacing for other maneuvers, and it has sort of morphed into what it is today. 

If you go back and look at the Blue Angels "Threshold" movie from the early 1970s, you'll see a much tamer version of this same thing in Navy-speak.

I got a couple rides with the Red Arrows in practice a few years ago and they had even more intra-airplane talking, even with pilots joking shit-talking each others' maneuvers during the performance using this same type of comm.  Except with British and Scottish accents, ol' china.

Edited by Hacker

And I've seen OTS and ROTC grads pull the same sort of crap. I know of a female pilot (ROTC)that had a relationship with one of my crew chiefs...no one ever busted her...I found out after he had long PCSed. I know a lot of good and bad coming from all three commisioning sources, and like I said I've never seen the good ole boy network at work. Maybe I will when I get my wings, but you might want to consider the possibility that it's merely your perception. I regard most of it as ubran legend. For one thing, I think the bad stands out more when it's a USAFA grad becuase people expect more, or they've heard the urban legend and are looking for it. Anyway, you have your opinion, I have mine...

When I was crew chiefing got propositioned by my USAFA grad AC, beautiful woman but I said no. Dodged a big bullet on that one, she turned out to be bat shit crazy. Plus I just got married and she was good friends with one of my father in law's friends. Bad mo jo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Baseops Network Forums mobile app

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
54 minutes ago, stract said:

Huggy you coming to Hill in 22?

I'd say there's a strong chance of it.  If I do, most likely static display of a rare airplane.  

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Upvote 1