KC-135 Tanker Q&A

Guest Slilock

On 6/26/2021 at 6:55 PM, Sua Sponte said:

I flew on B45 in 2015 in its infancy. Was there a software update that made it start being crazy?

Same. I was helping at Edwards doing B45 test and don't recall anything like that happening. We were just spending an inordinate amount of time trying to make the Navy stay on the MPRS hose with the B45's roll knob.

Same. I was helping at Edwards doing B45 test and don't recall anything like that happening. We were just spending an inordinate amount of time trying to make the Navy stay on the MPRS hose with the B45's roll knob.
B45's been around for what? Over a decade now? It's not "new" to the KC-135 at all. Obviously we've got a lot more B45 tails now, which could be helping to rear the ugly head of some software issue that has always been there, which surfaces during very specific conditions.

1 minute ago, Gazmo said:
11 minutes ago, StoleIt said:

B45's been around for what? Over a decade now? It's not "new" to the KC-135 at all. Obviously we've got a lot more B45 tails now, which could be helping to rear the ugly head of some software issue that has always been there, which surfaces during very specific conditions.

Very true, there will always be things that the boys and girls at Edwards can't discover until it hits the line.

The irony of the B45 issue is that where it’s supposed to really shine over the B40 (approach and landing phase), it can’t be used. 

Although, that said, a lot of old guys swear the B40 sucks doing a couples approach but I’ve never had problems with it.