EWO Questions

Guest gtastroeng

Guest gtastroeng

Hello,

I am a CSO student and I want to be an EWO. I would like to get as much information as possible about being an EWO/air crew on the RC-135 and B-52.

Thanks for the help

Originally posted by yeller jacket:

Hello,

I am a CSO student and I want to be an EWO. I would like to get as much information as possible about being an EWO/air crew on the RC-135 and B-52.

Thanks for the help

With all do respect to my true Nav brethern, good on ya for wanting to go EWO. While the true navs are being whittled down, the EWO's role seems to be ever-expanding.

Many moons ago when I was in EWO school, my "dream sheet" looked something like: F-15E, B-1, B-52, RC-135, MC-130, AC-130 in that order. There were no strike Navs slots (VT-86) and no B-52 EWO slots either, so I ended up getting RC-135 EWO along with the other 8 guys in my class.

After much weeping and gnashing of teeth initially, I can now look back 8 years later and say that it was the best possible route of the EWO (non-strike track) platforms. Good TDYs but not completely insane TDY rate, good permanent duty station (Offutt), very interesting and important mission (ISR is where it's at these days!), good promotion potential, and a lot of different career paths available after your initial ops tour (AIA, nav school instructor, NSA, NAIC, etc) - many more opportunities, IMHO, than a B-52 EWO. Bottom line...just know that the RC community is a good place to end up; don't be alarmed by the lack of credible info out there, as the community is still suffering from a lot of mis-information passed during the friggin' cold war.

Beyond that info, try a search on this forum. We've had quite a few lengthy discussions about the nuts-and-bolts of the RC-135 community.

Guest gtastroeng

Thanks for the good info Bergman.

The RC sounds like the perfect plane for me. I will look at the other forums for more info. Did you just fly the RJ or did you get time on the Combat Sent and Cobra Ball?

Guest gtastroeng

Grandpa, I am in class 06-13. We are still wearing blues. What class are you in? Do you want to be an EWO?

I applied for to the NAV board to get an EWO track slot, its different for AD applications. I was a space command R&D engineer and got an AD flight slot.

I'm 06-11. We just started SN a week ago. I'm thinking about EWO but want to get more info. I believe we get more briefs on it in a few months. I was a Criminal Justice major in college, so this Tech stuff is well beyond me right now but they say wouldn't be impossible for me.

The track select is basically first come - first served. They rank everyone in your class performance and start from the top. They go up to the front in order, and each individual must choose/announce what they want. After the last of any one slot is taken (usually EWO), everyone else gets what is left. 06-08 (I think) just did this on Thursday. They only had 5 EWO slots for 30+ people in the flight. I believe they made it into the double digets (10 or 11 people went up) before all of the EWO slots were taken.

You have to come back for further training after you get your wings and complete survival/SERE. I'm not sure how long that is. We shall see after I get more info. For now I'm just trining to survive Nav training.

It's all down hill after your EP test, so enjoy it while you can.

Grandpa

yeller jacket,

To piggy back (sts) on what Grandpa said, you will also have an "EWO appreciation" day sometime during your stay in SN. You can get a lot of questions answered there.

I think what Grandpa meant to say was that it's all uphill from the EP test. Let me know ifyou have more questions.

Bergman,

Are you still an EWO? For some reason I thought you were a pilot. Which brings me to a question I've had for some time. I am completely happy with a Nav slot, but it is a goal of mine to eventually put in a package for pilot training after the required time as a Nav. I was curious if people had a better chance of being picked up as a nav vs EWO? Any input from anyone would be appreciated.

Shawty

[ 14. November 2005, 12:35: Message edited by: shawty ]

Guest blkafnav

Shawty,

Doesn't matter if you're a pilot or nav. Your PCSM, AFOQT, and raters ranking are all that matter to the AD board. In my former squadron, the 45RS, five of us were picked up. Three of us were navs, the other two EWOs. Out of the wing we had a total of four EWOs, and three navs picked up on the 2004 board. My advice for you is to do extremely well at your current job, retake the BAT and AFOQT, and work on you PPL. You can apply for UPT before your 2 1/2yrs, you just can't start prior w/o a wavier. Here at NAS Corpus Christi I met a former HC-130 nav who only did eight months as a nav before he started UPT. Again, it doesn't matter one way or the other (NAV vs. EWO), just be the best at your current position.

blkafnav,

I really appreciate the input. That's definitely what I plan on doing. Can't be a pilot or nav if I don't make it through training first right?

Congrats on getting picked up! If you make it up to San Antonio anytime soon, let me know and I'll buy the first round.

Shawty

I'm a Buff EWO (ok, Im in the FTU) and I know quite a bit about the bases (ok, I can relay what people have told me). So far, I love the Buff and the people who fly the beast rock. The two Buff bases are Barksdale AFB (Shreveport, LA) or Minot AFB (Minot, ND). The Buff has been and will be the workhorse of the bomber community (no matter what the B-1 guys will tell you). The main two TDY spots are Guam and Diego Garcia which are both pretty nice locations from what I hear. I have a buddy in RC's and he loves it. Good on him for it, but I would rather ride some bombs into the area and drop them on some bad guys. Just the way I am. That and I really liked the SP portion of the 563d. I don't know what they call it, but its the Buff part. The jamming was really my speed while the ISR portion didn't really jive with me. PM me if you have questions.

Guest blkafnav

Shawty,

I'll be there this weekend! Is the O'Club still jumping or did it also die after 9/11? PM me so we can work out the details.

Gonads,

I've been to both Guam and Diego many times in the mighty COBRA BALL and COMBAT SENT. We also went to places like Tokyo, Kadena, Eielson, Mildenhall, Hickam, and Souda Bay. I have much respect for you guys that can fly just as long as we do (14-20hrs) but w/o the leather seats. Have fun in the Buff, you'll eventually come around to the comfortable side.

Originally posted by shawty:

yeller jacket,

Bergman,

Are you still an EWO? For some reason I thought you were a pilot. Which brings me to a question I've had for some time. I am completely happy with a Nav slot, but it is a goal of mine to eventually put in a package for pilot training after the required time as a Nav. I was curious if people had a better chance of being picked up as a nav vs EWO? Any input from anyone would be appreciated.

Shawty

I'm a pilot now but was an EWO on the COMBAT SENT for 5 years. As for your other questions, blkafnav pretty much answered them. Just be aware of the 5 year commissioned service waiver and be a good nav/ewo and you've got a good shot at pilot.

As for the B-52 vs. RC-135 assignment...I cannot tell a lie. I put B-52 EWO ahead of RCs on my dream sheet back in the day. Alas, all 6 of us got RC-135s. I would have preferred dropping bombs (and still would) and flying such a cool piece of history...however, after the first few months in the RC community I realized that they go to some sweet places and have a pretty interesting mission, even if it doesn't involve dropping bombs.

is it possible to go from EWO or NAV to WSO? If so, how difficult? By the sounds of the whole CSO thing, it might go that direction, but there is still so little information compared to the pilot stuff out there. Any info would be appreciated.

Guest blkafnav

drewpey,

We had that question raised many times by navs and ewos when I was flying RC's. I'm not going to say it's impossible but the possibility is slim. Maybe with the new CSO program it might open more doors but just like anything else in the AF, it's all based on timing (training slots mostly). Kick ass where you are and ask the question, good luck!

• 5 months later...
Guest mikedjp
Originally posted by LJ Driver:

Don't know about those but we have an ewo on the Talon 2 and I can answer some questions about what they do.

How busy are EWOs on the T2? What kind of secondary duties are involved? Are they busy when there is no threat? How about job satisfaction/lifestyle?

I know that opsec is an issue obviously, so I understand there isn't a lot you can share about the specefics. I'm thinking of going EWO and trying to learn as much as I can about their job on every platform.

Guest sickels101

I'm a pilot type in the BUFF and I don't know if this is something that maybe N/A was looking for but there are going to be some dramatic changes in the shape/size/type of crew we are going to carry in the future. First off, we are getting rid of one Nav downstairs once we get the new nave system (AMI). Second, this whole CSO thing (I don't claim to know what the heck that means) is going to change the EWs job. Rumor has it that he will be dual qual'd for EW'age and Navage. This will help support us for augmented trips since an EW is not a required member of the crew and can thus serve as a backup Nav. Once again, the second part is rumor but it has been mainstream rumor. There is my disclaimer. So in short, become a BUFF EW and maybe get the best of both worlds or don't become a BUFF EW and you won't have to be a Nav. Pick your poison.

Guest ILikeBoobies
Originally posted by Gonads:

The Buff has been and will be the workhorse of the bomber community (no matter what the B-1 guys will tell you).

It's pretty easy to tell the missions are different, even from looking at it, right? It's funny...you always hear Buff guys constantly assert themselves as the premier bomber, but you never hear the same from the B-1 or B-2 guys. (B-1 guys complain of never getting hours, and B-2 guys are busy playing dungeons and dragons). Dude, everyone says their plane is the best plane ever. Do you know what the 3-3v20 is? You should probably have one in your vault. I do remember OIF and B-1's were the CAOC's choice when they needed to bomb priority TGTs, do TST, NTISR, and even a very, very, very loose intrepretion of CAS (B-1 can't VID Tgts (until they get the pods) and it doesn't quite turn with an A-10). I know the Buffs flew over there, too, but they did a lot of stand-off cruise missile launching as well.

Anyways, back to the thread...bombing is what it's all about, so you should do that. It's not about intercepting communications like someone said. It's the Air Force. Our job is to drop bombs for the Army.

Guest scottaxelson

"you always hear Buff guys constantly assert themselves as the premier bomber"

We got to, were in the B-52. No one else outside the community, is going to give this plane any props. Read every T-38 drop board, I dont see people getting pissed over getting a B-1 slot.

Im not arguing with you at all, in fact I think all 3 bombers bring very important assets to the table. And none is the premier bomber. But as long as the buff is a T-38 jet, its not gonna get a lot of love anytime soon.

And while I agree a major job is to drop bombs for the army, since we just got done with nuke inspection, I wouldnt say thats the only job we got. (Granted bone guys dont have to worry bout that side, consider yourselves lucky there) There is standoff capability as well.

Guest ILikeBoobies

My comment about dropping bombs for the army was more of a generalization for the entire Air Force. We pretty much do our thing so the Army can do their's. Whether it's an A-10 strafing, or a F-15C pulling CAP, we exist to give a clear path to the army.

Guest mikedjp

What are you guys talking about?? This thread is about being an EWO. Does anyone have any good info about being an EWO on the Talon II?

Guest ILikeBoobies
Originally posted by mikedjp:

What are you guys talking about?? This thread is about being an EWO. Does anyone have any good info about being an EWO on the Talon II?

Sorry about derailing your thread. Here's a thought for you. Talk to your instructors for info about being an EWO on various planes. Duh...