Jump to content

C-130 Hercules questions


Champ Kind

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, NotApilot said:

Recently picked up to fly HC-130Js for the Guard, and I used to work E & Hs before Little Rock when J, then I retrained out of MX. All I can say is I could not be more happy to be going J. Need to find out from my unit but I believe I won't even go through The Rock after UPT, can anyone confirm?

Congrats on Hercs, great cross spectrum of mission sets and she's a lot of fun to fly.

You will not go through Little Rock, they ended that a couple years ago for HC/MC-J guys.  After pilot training you'll head direct to Kirtland AFB in Albuquerque, NM for HC-130J Pilot Initial Qual Course.

  I'm an MC-130 guy so my knowledge of HC-130 stuff is all second hand info; if you have any other HC-130 specific questions that you can't get answered by actual HC-130 guys on this board let me know and I'll ask around here (I'm currently in ABQ doing an MC-J transition course).  Good luck at UPT and study hard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, DirkDiggler said:

Congrats on Hercs, great cross spectrum of mission sets and she's a lot of fun to fly.

You will not go through Little Rock, they ended that a couple years ago for HC/MC-J guys.  After pilot training you'll head direct to Kirtland AFB in Albuquerque, NM for HC-130J Pilot Initial Qual Course.

  I'm an MC-130 guy so my knowledge of HC-130 stuff is all second hand info; if you have any other HC-130 specific questions that you can't get answered by actual HC-130 guys on this board let me know and I'll ask around here (I'm currently in ABQ doing an MC-J transition course).  Good luck at UPT and study hard.

Thank you, I appreciate it! I'm deployed right now so I haven't had a ton of contact with the unit so far. Just ready to get back and start meeting everyone so it'll feel a little more real. Still feels pretty surreal even though it's been a month and a half. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/24/2021 at 6:36 AM, DirkDiggler said:

The full IQ/MQ course is 151 training days, ends up being 8-9 calendar months at KABQ.

Thanks for the info, can't wait to get there. I've heard it's a rigorous course, but focusing on one thing at a time. Gotta get out of AD and into the California guard before anything else. Just ready to be flying already

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 10 months later...
1 hour ago, streak said:

maybe their messaging was more reassuring this time than it was during the last fleetwide grounding three years ago?
 

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2022/09/30/air-force-grounds-most-c-130hs-due-to-cracked-propeller-barrels/

It isn’t.  The slides showing the data/scale of the problem are kinda shocking really.  I’ve been out of legacy for over a year now but I feel for my brothers still there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, streak said:

maybe their messaging was more reassuring this time than it was during the last fleetwide grounding three years ago?
 

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2022/09/30/air-force-grounds-most-c-130hs-due-to-cracked-propeller-barrels/

The H model has become a dump can. 1950s technology with at the most 1970s avionics. It is way passed its prime. The Air Force has got to stop prolonging these aircraft to the point of failure. Same for the B-1s, KC-135s, Buffs, etc.  

Hard to listen to the CSAF lecture about accelerate change or lose when our Air Force Life Cycle Management is utter trash. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/1/2022 at 6:50 AM, dream big said:

The H model has become a dump can. 1950s technology with at the most 1970s avionics. It is way passed its prime. The Air Force has got to stop prolonging these aircraft to the point of failure. Same for the B-1s, KC-135s, Buffs, etc.  

Hard to listen to the CSAF lecture about accelerate change or lose when our Air Force Life Cycle Management is utter trash. 

Too bad DoD can't have an adult conversation about how the money is spent/split up.  People lose their minds if you ask why we have Service Academies, two land armies (or why the Army is so big when its mission is to defend other people's border and not our own), 4 air forces, why the Army and Marines buy different tactical trucks, why we have so many camo uniforms, whether or not PME is money well spent, etc. I think DoD has plenty of money; what it lacks is the ability to prioritize (Congressional meddling throws a monkey wrench in there too).   If it could, maybe the AF wouldn't be flying such old iron....

Edited by pbar
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Champ Kind changed the title to C-130 Hercules questions
6 hours ago, dream big said:

The H model has become a dump can. 1950s technology with at the most 1970s avionics. It is way passed its prime. The Air Force has got to stop prolonging these aircraft to the point of failure. Same for the B-1s, KC-135s, Buffs, etc.  

No arguments there, but the way the article reads, the issue is more a maintenance / depot screw up?  Improper etching of the prop barrel, or similar?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, dream big said:

The H model has become a dump can. 1950s technology with at the most 1970s avionics. It is way passed its prime. The Air Force has got to stop prolonging these aircraft to the point of failure. Same for the B-1s, KC-135s, Buffs, etc.  

Hard to listen to the CSAF lecture about accelerate change or lose when our Air Force Life Cycle Management is utter trash. 

I'm triggered😀 What's wrong with 50s technology?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

...or rather your perspective is an overhead panel that's a train wreck...

Best the 60s had to offer. Hey, when you’re moving from a 1950s plane to a 1960s one, it looks like an improvement.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not a herk guy but I peed in one in flight so that's gotta count for something.   

Did you H model guys have CDI's?   

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Biff_T said:

Did you H model guys have CDI's?   

These 1950s instruments finally began to transition to glass in 2018.  We shared the same (tumbling) ADI as the T-38s.  Sometimes you had to tap on the CDI to knock loose the needle so the localizer would come off the wall. 

image.thumb.jpeg.31a32c1d466a699790c2ca504d8e9635.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, streak said:

.... Sometimes you had to tap on the CDI to knock loose the needle so the localizer would come off the wall. 

image.thumb.jpeg.31a32c1d466a699790c2ca504d8e9635.jpeg

That sounds familiar lol.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, streak said:

These 1950s instruments finally began to transition to glass in 2018.  We shared the same (tumbling) ADI as the T-38s.  Sometimes you had to tap on the CDI to knock loose the needle so the localizer would come off the wall. 

image.thumb.jpeg.31a32c1d466a699790c2ca504d8e9635.jpeg

But the picture you showed has an HSI not a CDI…that’s some high tech stuff compared to when I flew the Huey!  Though back then if I flew IFR vs special VFR then something was wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, HeloDude said:

But the picture you showed has an HSI not a CDI…that’s some high tech stuff compared to when I flew the Huey!  Though back then if I flew IFR vs special VFR then something was wrong.

Yeah.  I remember not trusting that CDI either (always trust your instruments) in the Huey.   I never wanted to have to fly a legit ILS with that thing.   Something about the vibrations magically knocking me back on course.   I also felt like I could have been using that thing to drop bombs on Hitler.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/1/2022 at 12:19 PM, Blue said:

No arguments there, but the way the article reads, the issue is more a maintenance / depot screw up?  Improper etching of the prop barrel, or similar?

Yes, they used a plasma laser etching machine instead of acid etching to serialize the parts.  This caused heat to radiate through the medal resulting in cracks on every one they have inspected so far.  NP2000 looks really good right about now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

NP2000 looks really good right about now.

I know what you’re saying.  Problem is, NP2000 isn’t going to look good for many months if not years for the entire H model fleet.  Think of the issues with keeping folks current and proficient.  Check rides?  The 189th at KLRF is grounded.  That’s the FTU…   

This is a major issue that will have lasting effects.  There are already countless requests for airlift that go unfilled.  The army will suffer greatly from the lack of jump support.  There are currently 5 ANG units that fly the C-130J and 3 of them are in conversion.  That limits their capabilities based on experience and pay statuses.  

Been a C-130 guy for 20 years now.  I know the sky is always falling and then it isn’t.  Things always work out.  But, this one is bad.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Yes, they used a plasma laser etching machine instead of acid etching to serialize the parts.

Can't wait to hear the background of how that got approved.

I'll withhold judgement until more info comes out, but sure sounds like shades of the depot failures that led to the 2017 KC-130T propeller failure that killed all on board.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, so not just a "few" in the fleet will have cracks, most likely all of 'em.  That's a boatload of prop dome assemblies to replace.  Gonna be a helluva ripple effect!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/3/2022 at 7:27 PM, lloyd christmas said:

I know what you’re saying.  Problem is, NP2000 isn’t going to look good for many months if not years for the entire H model fleet.  Think of the issues with keeping folks current and proficient.  Check rides?  The 189th at KLRF is grounded.  That’s the FTU…   

This is a major issue that will have lasting effects.  There are already countless requests for airlift that go unfilled.  The army will suffer greatly from the lack of jump support.  There are currently 5 ANG units that fly the C-130J and 3 of them are in conversion.  That limits their capabilities based on experience and pay statuses.  

Been a C-130 guy for 20 years now.  I know the sky is always falling and then it isn’t.  Things always work out.  But, this one is bad.  

I hope someone looks at the big picture (wishful thinking I know).  What is the timeline to manufacture 450+ NP2000 props versus the timeline to manufacture 450+ new legacy barrel assemblies.  If the timelines are even close it may be worth it to INVEST in the H's to keep them viable and FAR more capable for years to come.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...