C-130 Hercules questions

Champ Kind

Guest bikerdood

Not sure who told you that you can get a Herc out of T-1s, but they had old info.

I just left T-1s after 4 years, and we hadn't gotten a C-130 in the drop for at least two years. If you want a Herc that bad, FAIP to T-1s. That's your best bet (still not guaranteed, though).

Not sure who told you that you can get a Herc out of T-1s, but they had old info.

Not necessarily...a CB stud in 08-14 got one.

Edited by day man

Guest viper24

I know for a fact its possible, Ive seen it happen two times in the past month....

Can anyone with experience or personaly know someone who has done this comment (no I know a buddy who is on BaseOps and knows someone who knows someone...)? Would the most likely path be a slick tour and then try for a AFSOC bird. Thanks for the info

:beer:

It is possible to get a Herk out of Tones, but it's rare. As far as AFSOC goes, chances are even worse.

As always, put it on your dream sheet. If that doesn't happen, you can still try for a slick or FAIP and try to get AFSOC after that.

HD

I know for a fact its possible, Ive seen it happen two times in the past month....

Can anyone with experience or personaly know someone who has done this comment (no I know a buddy who is on BaseOps and knows someone who knows someone...)? Would the most likely path be a slick tour and then try for a AFSOC bird. Thanks for the info

Your best bet is to tell everyone you can in your T-1 Squadron (By everyone I mean Flt/CC and IPs). Before you fill out your dream sheet you will be given a "Special Considerations" sheet to fill out that goes to your Flt/CC and eventually AFPC. For most people it consists planned vacation after UPT/marriages/family reunions that you want AFPC to know about when scheduling your follow-on training. It is also a medium to make special requests. One guy in my T-1 class put down a request for U-28s. Since that assignment is pretty much open to all who "Request" it (With Flt/CC help) that's what he got. I would recommend doing the same for C-130s. If you want something specific say it...but also be open to flying slicks first. Also, can't speak for Js, but if you want AFSOC 130s...you better be open to Cannon. Pretty sure people in that community aren't begging to leave Hurlburt to go to Cannon, so they might take you there.

Edit: We just had a FAIP go MCs...another option. But we also had a FAIP put 130s first and end up in a 17.

Edited by XL0901

Let your flt cc know early. My buddy got a slick out of T-1s a couple of months ago. He worked hard, did well and his commander got a herc for him. Don't know about AFSOC birds though. Generally, from what I've heard, once you're in the community it’s easy to go to the dark side. All that being said, bikerdood is right, AD dudes seldom/never get a 130 in the drop. The one VFR was referring to here at Vance, and most all the other ones, are guard. What class are you in by the way?

Guest TacAirDrvr
Let your flt cc know early. My buddy got a slick out of T-1s a couple of months ago. He worked hard, did well and his commander got a herc for him. Don't know about AFSOC birds though. Generally, from what I've heard, once you're in the community it’s easy to go to the dark side. All that being said, bikerdood is right, AD dudes seldom/never get a 130 in the drop. The one VFR was referring to here at Vance, and most all the other ones, are guard. What class are you in by the way?

Dude, go track T44s, thats the way to go to get Hercs. You will love the training, no stand-ups, laid back training, etc, i think you'll be a better instrument pilot too! you are rolling the dice out of T-1s plus you're flirting with the ol UAV option, you go to corpus, and you're set and they have spec ops drop almost every class! Plus, the dudes that have the toughest time at the Herc FTU here are all the T-1 C-21 dudes who don't know anything about props. Well actually I guess everyone knows about them with the T-6, I guess I should say multienegine Props. If you get stuck in T1s, then you better start praying and be #1 and know somebody!!!

Did I mention you get to live on the beach!!! OH YEah and NO UAVS!!!

Shit you already tracked, oh well you're, F%^ked

Edited by TacAirDrvr

Dude, go track T44s, thats the way to go to get Hercs. You will love the training, no stand-ups, laid back training, etc, i think you'll be a better instrument pilot too! you are rolling the dice out of T-1s plus you're flirting with the ol UAV option, you go to corpus, and you're set and they have spec ops drop almost every class! Plus, the dudes that have the toughest time at the Herc FTU here are all the T-1 C-21 dudes who don't know anything about props. Well actually I guess everyone knows about them with the T-6, I guess I should say multienegine Props. If you get stuck in T1s, then you better start praying and be #1 and know somebody!!!

Did I mention you get to live on the beach!!! OH YEah and NO UAVS!!!

Shit you already tracked, oh well you're, F%^ked

Better instrument pilot, too??? You're kidding, right? :nob: Corpus grads are historically weak in instrument procedures...why do you think AMC spent millions developing an instrument approach trainer for the FTU?

you're baiting. gotta be baiting. must . . . not . . . respond . . .

Not at all...I give instrument evals to about 25% of each MPD class, and the students who didn't go through Corpus are better instrument pilots hands down. Could be attributed to the lack of familiarity with the 11-217 and 202V3, or maybe the long BIT between Corpus and the FTU for non-LRF assigned studs. But even the Corpus grads going to the 50th/61st have more problems with basic instrument flying...

Guest TacAirDrvr
Not at all...I give instrument evals to about 25% of each MPD class, and the students who didn't go through Corpus are better instrument pilots hands down. Could be attributed to the lack of familiarity with the 11-217 and 202V3, or maybe the long BIT between Corpus and the FTU for non-LRF assigned studs. But even the Corpus grads going to the 50th/61st have more problems with basic instrument flying...

If you're the RASH that was with me at Elmo that wears a Patch, I will pay my respects and not argue this point, besides I am on the AMC side not the AETC side. (YET). Corpus I thought had a very heavy emphasis on Instruments though. I think they may be weak on AF regs, but I would say, the pilots I get down here going through MQT, the T-1 bubbas tens to need a little help, especially when it comes to NDBs, non-p approaches.

welp looks like everyone refuted me, so it looks like I am F*^ked. oh well, I liked living on the beach and not having to worry about formal release and only flying with the NATOPs and FAR/AIM. Just give up anyway, you're gonna be flying UAVS! Sorry dude!

If you're the RASH that was with me at Elmo that wears a Patch, I will pay my respects and not argue this point, besides I am on the AMC side not the AETC side. (YET). Corpus I thought had a very heavy emphasis on Instruments though. I think they may be weak on AF regs, but I would say, the pilots I get down here going through MQT, the T-1 bubbas tens to need a little help, especially when it comes to NDBs, non-p approaches.

welp looks like everyone refuted me, so it looks like I am F*^ked. oh well, I liked living on the beach and not having to worry about formal release and only flying with the NATOPs and FAR/AIM. Just give up anyway, you're gonna be flying UAVS! Sorry dude!

Nope. I agree with you. Took the -34/-44 path and loved it. I would have to say that many of the -44 folks can't fly an ILS as well as a Tone trained pilot, and don't know the AF regs as well, but from what I saw as an EP, they are overall better instrument pilots and have better airsense during approaches. However, as with all things, I have seen my fair share of abominations from the -44 side as well.

And to answer a question further up, I had a co-worker (AD) that was a Tone guy. That has been many years now though. We did have the occasional Tone guy in-process at my last flying squadron.

For all those wanting the J-model, now is the time for you...unless you're a C-130E/H dude. The 41 AS/CC has made it clear that he doesn't want any more E/H guys transitioning into the 41st. Sounds like white jet, t-one, t-44s, and faips have the best chance, if the CC has anything to say about it.

FF

For all those wanting the J-model, now is the time for you...unless you're a C-130E/H dude. The 41 AS/CC has made it clear that he doesn't want any more E/H guys transitioning into the 41st. Sounds like white jet, t-one, t-44s, and faips have the best chance, if the CC has anything to say about it.

FF

What's his beef with E/H guys? Wouldn't you want guys that have experience in like airframe/mission? I don't understand the thought process, but I guess that's why I'm not a sq/cc.

Guest Hueypilot812

Where did you hear that? That makes absolutely no sense. I am currently serving a 365 in Iraq and part of my drug deal was an assignment to the 41st.

So does it matter I've got 1,000 hours in C-21s? Let me get this straight...if I am coming from a C-21, that's cool. If I'm coming from an E-model, that's not. I would like to know his opinion on those of us that have flown other aircraft aside from the legacy Herks. I just don't see his point about the E/H thing. An airplane is an airplane...I've flown both the Lear and the old E/H Herks and I managed to do fine in both airframes.

I also disagree about the earlier post that C-21 guys can't make the transition easily. I had no problems, neither did the other C-21 guy in my PIQ class. There have been a handful of T-1/C-21 types that have struggled while I was at the schoolhouse, but I think they would have struggled in any airframe. There have been MANY T-44-trained kids that have struggled during my time at the 62d as well, so I really don't see much correlation.

Guest TacAirDrvr

FF

Well, that WAS.....look real big letters......WAS.... the case, but because AFPC realized that the AF is still going to fly the J model tactically, and all thats gone to the J is glass "trees get bigger, trees get smaller" guys, they are now sending E/H guys. I have heard this from the AFPC roadshow AND the Sim dudes up on the hill who has seem the shift back to herk dudes, like it SHOULD be!!! I may have new toys and a few less crewmembers, but if it smells like a Herk and looks like a Herk, IT MUST BE A HERK!!

As for the C-21/T-1 dudes go, it really isn't the instruments (although, I am glad someone else agreed and found the word, air sense for me), its more the assaults and TAC shtuff. Don't take it personally, I am not making a black and white comment, its more "in general"!!

Where did you hear that? That makes absolutely no sense.

From the horse's mouth. If it were up to me, it would be a different story. I don't know how much input he has into who comes to the squadron.

Right now it sounds like we're sitting at roughly 30-50% prior E/H dudes and the rest from white jets, UPT, FAIPs, and crossflow. Talking to some of the dudes who think they're "ready to be and AC," based on the fact they were and AC in the C-17 or KC-10, it's kinda scary. But it's sorta good too, because this airplane is a whole new animal. It takes a new type of herk driver, but it's still a herk. Right now everyone seems to identify with their prior aircraft as opposed to identifing with the J.

We'll see who it pans out.

FF

P.S. FWIW our CC is a prior KC-135 dude.

Not at all...I give instrument evals to about 25% of each MPD class, and the students who didn't go through Corpus are better instrument pilots hands down. Could be attributed to the lack of familiarity with the 11-217 and 202V3

I'll agree that familiarity with AF regs is a problem for Corpus studs, they spend the real learning portion of UPT flying in a service that has little more published besides the FARs. Not to mention there is usually a healthy BIT from Corpus to the Rock. On the other side, I still think Corpus studs have better instrument SA solely based on their comfort with flying IAPs with the added stress of partial-panel.

Guest TacAirDrvr
On a side note about Herk Assignments

Has anbody heard any scuttle butt on the associate unit in Alaska

very interested in the assignment and have only heard rumors

Well My mother's uncle's friend's ex girlfriend's lesbian lover told me that it wasn't gonna happen with Herks, it is gonna happen with the F22s and the C-17s!

Well My mother's uncle's friend's ex girlfriend's lesbian lover told me that it wasn't gonna happen with Herks, it is gonna happen with the F22s and the C-17s!

F22s are Reserve associate, C-17s are Guard associate. 'Cause it makes absolute sense for a Guard unit (state defense) to have a strategic airlifter, whereas there is no clear state role for an F22 pulling actual alert. I digress.

Far as the Herc's, here's what's facts (granted I haven't read BRAC in a while and have no intention of doing so)

- Guard already flies Herc's at Kulis (on ANC Int'l), entire wing will be on Elmo in '10, Kulis handed over end of FY11

- BRAC mandated active associate unit to fly Guard Herc's

- BRAC supposed to be done by end of FY11

- BRAC is law, no tinkering allowed

- C17s moving buildings mid O9, building gets significantly enlarged for Herc unit (plus others), done some time in '10.

Reality

- As far as I can tell there's already been a ton of BRAC violations with no consequences so who TF knows. How's that Pope Army Airfield project moving along?

Scuttlebutt

- Start moving active duty ADVON in FY10 for an FY11 standup

- Huge rumor that they'll bring enough guys to hand over a guidon, then hand it back over. Apparently BRAC only makes you stand up a unit, nothing prevents you from immediately standing it back down. Why would they do that? No idea, I just hear it a lot

Interestingly, on the active side no one here talks about it at all, it's easy to forget it's even supposed to happen.

Helpful? I didn't think so. I'd start watching assignments middle of 09. If it's going to happen that's when they'll drop.

Guest TacAirDrvr
F22s are Reserve associate, C-17s are Guard associate. 'Cause it makes absolute sense for a Guard unit (state defense) to have a strategic airlifter, whereas there is no clear state role for an F22 pulling actual alert. I digress.

Far as the Herc's, here's what's facts (granted I haven't read BRAC in a while and have no intention of doing so)

- Guard already flies Herc's at Kulis (on ANC Int'l), entire wing will be on Elmo in '10, Kulis handed over end of FY11

- BRAC mandated active associate unit to fly Guard Herc's

- BRAC supposed to be done by end of FY11

- BRAC is law, no tinkering allowed

- C17s moving buildings mid O9, building gets significantly enlarged for Herc unit (plus others), done some time in '10.

Reality

- As far as I can tell there's already been a ton of BRAC violations with no consequences so who TF knows. How's that Pope Army Airfield project moving along?

Scuttlebutt

- Start moving active duty ADVON in FY10 for an FY11 standup

- Huge rumor that they'll bring enough guys to hand over a guidon, then hand it back over. Apparently BRAC only makes you stand up a unit, nothing prevents you from immediately standing it back down. Why would they do that? No idea, I just hear it a lot

Interestingly, on the active side no one here talks about it at all, it's easy to forget it's even supposed to happen.

Helpful? I didn't think so. I'd start watching assignments middle of 09. If it's going to happen that's when they'll drop.

and thats why I knew I shouldn't listen to my mother's uncle's friend's ex girlfriend's lesbian lover!!!! Thanks for the info man!!!