C-130 Hercules questions

Champ Kind

Guest rotorhead

This keeps getting confused, so here is the scheme one more time: AFPC does NOT drop particular assignments to particular UPT bases, nor do they figure merit/class rank, nor do they care who specifically gets what specific aircraft...those are AETC functions.

Once AFPC drops x total aircraft to AETC for a particular class drop, AETC divides them between bases. Let's say that the drop does indeed include a LRAFB and a PAFB slick 130. AETC (and the leadership between the UPT bases) can swap/argue all they want, and change names a zillion times, and AFPC could not care less UNTIL the email from AETC to AFPC that says match Joe to LR and Bob to Pope. Once AFPC starts working the magic, the only way to change up is to have CSAF DNA or similar. AFPC is not going to discuss switching....that is a (losing) argument to take up with AETC BEFORE they email AFPC with the matches.

[ 08. July 2005, 00:51: Message edited by: rotorhead ]

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by MajorMadMax:

Rainman

Good one, I laughed my ass off! anim_lol.gif

Cheers! M2

VS.

Originally posted by AFUPTSTUD:

I guess I dont get it.

Iron Ass Reagan Baby Old School humor. You know you're old when only the crusty old bastards in the room get your jokes.

Guest HueyPilot

Hey now, I got that joke too! I'm only 32!

Anyways, I seriously doubt AFPC will let you trade...HOWEVER, there is a pilot here at Dyess who was supposed to go to Elmendorf and she traded while at the FTU for here...WHY, I don't know. Personally I think she's crazy to give up AK for the-middle-of-nowhere TX. But that's the rumor on how I saw her wearing a 517th patch at LRAFB and now she's here at Dyess.

Guest KoolKat
Originally posted by Rainman A-10:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by MajorMadMax:

Rainman

Good one, I laughed my ass off!

Cheers! M2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VS.

quote:

Originally posted by AFUPTSTUD:

I guess I dont get it.

Iron Ass Reagan Baby Old School humor. You know you're old when only the crusty old bastards in the room get your jokes.

As G.I Joe says, "Knowing is half the battle." :D

[ 08. July 2005, 22:27: Message edited by: KoolKat ]

• 1 month later...
Guest lovelacm

11M2B - I'm an E-Model dude, but it shouldn't matter.

11M3B is for A/Cs.

K11M3B is for IPs.

Q11M3B is for EPs.

Feel free to *thwap* me in the nugget if I'm smokin' crack again.

- Countin' down the days!

Cheers!

Linda

[ 24. August 2005, 16:16: Message edited by: Linda ]

Guest Slilock

All Herc drivers, except the J-Model guys,have the same AFSC.

11M2B - C-130 Copilot

11M3B - C-130 Aircraft Commander

K11M3B - Instructor A/C C-130

Q11M3B - Evaluator A/C C-130

W11M3B - Weapons Officer A/C C-130 (Must have attended WIC Course at Little Rock)

S11M3B - Safety Officer A/C C-130 (Must have attended Safety course at Kirtland AFB)

C11M3B - Commander (who is a C-130 pilot)

Originally posted by Slilock:

All Herc drivers, except the J-Model guys,have the same AFSC.

NOT True. All Slick C-130 Herc drivers may have the same AFSC, but they are all different for SOF. For example mine in the AC-130H is W11S3C

• 1 year later...

I was certain this had been discussed before, but my search didn't work (maybe cuz im on a PDA that is quirky sometimes).

But just curious, Can a C-130 pilot be transferred to any 130 platform say HC-130? or is the training totally different, given the different mission, or given its not improbable is it an often occuring thing?

Thanks just was curious!

Herk drivers can transfer to other Herk platforms. Some changes are easy and some aren't. For example, it is easier to go from slicks to AFSOC than it is to go from AFSOC to slicks. It all depends on what going on in the assignment cycle and how backed up the schoolhouses are.

It's common to see slick drivers go off to AC/MC/HC/MC assignments. You don't see as many AFSOC guys coming over to slicks, they're more likely to bounce to a different AFSOC bird.

The training between the variants is widely different when it comes to the aircraft's mission, but it's still a Herk. Almost all IQ students (regardless of type) will spent some time at LR getting qual'd.

HD

Edited by HerkDerka

The quick answer is yes.

But if you know you want to do an AFSOC, Hurricane, or Electronic Combat mission, I would reccomend trying to get that right out of UPT. In the last few years at least, most guys I knew in slicks who were wanting to fly something different (primarily Talons, Gunships, and Shadows) were told the slots weren't there, and were told to persue slicks, white jets, or UAVs.

Kind of unrelated, kind of related question here:

1. Do all 130 crew get trained at Little Rock, to include USN, USCG, USMC? Is this initial qual for these guys and they get follow-on training from their own services? Or do they train their own from scratch?

2. Is it true that the USMC uses enlisted personnel as Navs on their 130s?

Not being in the community, I've always wondered.

Guest A.M.F.

From my sources:

1) Not sure about pilots/FEs, whatever. But USMC loads train at the rock

2) Yes. At least before they converted to J models

From my sources:

1) Not sure about pilots/FEs, whatever. But USMC loads train at the rock

2) Yes. At least before they converted to J models

When I was stationed at LR I used to see USMC Pilots being trained at the FTU. I know the J-Model squadron (48 AS) actually has a Marine Capt who's a IP there. Dunno about Engineers, I would assume so.

When I was stationed at LR I used to see USMC Pilots being trained at the FTU. I know the J-Model squadron (48 AS) actually has a Marine Capt who's a IP there. Dunno about Engineers, I would assume so.

I haven't seen any Marine Engineers going through the schoolhouse, but yeah pilots/loads are quite common though a little less common now that the J came online.