C-130 Hercules questions

Champ Kind

I'm in a similar situation; I'm a T-1 guy and would like to try to get a CV-22 out of here (as a first choice of any AFSOC). I’ve heard from a reliable source that it is/may-be technically possible but I don’t think it’s been done before. I know they take fixed wing guys from other MWS’s without sending them through helo school, but like above, what else can I do beyond the standard tell everyone?

I'm in a similar situation; I'm a T-1 guy and would like to try to get a CV-22 out of here (as a first choice of any AFSOC). I’ve heard from a reliable source that it is/may-be technically possible but I don’t think it’s been done before. I know they take fixed wing guys from other MWS’s without sending them through helo school, but like above, what else can I do beyond the standard tell everyone?

Your best bet would've been to go UH-1s, then 44s, and then T-1s... and because they are only dropping a very limited number of Ospreys, I would say your chances are slim and none. I've never seen one out of Corpus, let alone a tone guy getting one...

the helo/tilt-rotor hot topics page on AFPC says they're only dropping 6 CV-22s a year to studs, which averages every other class at Rucker. They aren't going to take one of those 6 away from Rucker to give to someone else. The crossflow option after you fly in your MWS for a while may be your best bet.

I def agree as far as trying for the cv-22 and a 130 had better chances elsewhere, but more u28s and NSAs have been on the toner side. Let's say worst case, I don't get it. How hard is it to cross over from A non AFSOC MWS versus staying as a FAIP?

After I got 'fired' from MC-12s I had a ton of AFSOC stuff up front, Ospreys included. From what I understood, the various pipelines (NSA, U-28, ect) are fairly backed up. I'm surprised they aren't dropping MC-12s with AFSOC type jobs. Seems most of the guys that wanted one or the other, would have gladly flown either.

I still think they should not have follow-on's for MC-12s, more studs might be interested. I've heard dudes say "I'd fly MC-12s if I wasn't shoehorned into KC-135s.."

I digress. If two dudes want to swap assignments before they graduate, I don't see what the big deal is. We're just numbers at that point.

I def agree as far as trying for the cv-22 and a 130 had better chances elsewhere, but more u28s and NSAs have been on the toner side. Let's say worst case, I don't get it. How hard is it to cross over from A non AFSOC MWS versus staying as a FAIP?

No one here knows the answer because that world is too fluid to know what will be available to FAIPs 4 years from now. The floodgates briefly opened but the mass push towards those airframes is over and I don't see it coming back since they have enough for now. The best that I can tell you is that if you do well at whatever assignment you are given you will have a very good chance to go where you want on your second tour; and I'm speaking from experience. No one really knows if you have a better chance as a FAIP or MWS dude to get your top pick, it all depends on timing, your boss and your performance.

Good luck, these jobs need guys like you who really want them.

Edited to add-- if you can go anything AFSOC do it over anything else. It's easier to move you around inside the MAJCOM and you'll like anything you get.

Edited by tac airlifter

I would take an MC-12 in a second if I had an AFSOC follow on, or no follow-on for that matter. Heard a rumor that they should have a home picked in the next half year or so. How "solid" is that follow-on?

All MC-12 drops are now with a follow on assignment. Mostly C-17s and KC-135s from what I've seen. That said, time will tell once these new MC-12 studs finish their 179.

The guys who went through IQT before June still have no follow on and probably wont find out till they are done.

I don't think they'll have a stateside home. My guess is that 90% of the folks in them are just doing a 179 and going someplace else after.

Wouldn't be surprised if this program only lasts a few years or is turned over to the Army. (just my opinion)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Hueypilot812

Anyone hear the news that the AMP is as good as dead? That and they are reducing the number of J-model squadrons. Originally in 07 both Dyess squadrons were going J, along with Yokota, but now they are saying only one J squadron at Dyess (the other will keep their H1s) and Yokota will remain legacy. I guess it's time to pull some of those E-models back out of AMARG? Even if we still retire all the Es, it'll be amazing that in 2010 and beyond we'll be operating airplanes with 1950s instrumentation...still. That will make transiting European airspace interesting considering they will not comply with future restrictions (RVSM, RNP, GATM, etc).

Also, anyone have gouge on the J-model associate units? I've heard BIX will be starting up soon, and Quonset will follow.

I'd also heard a rumor (probably on here) about the Baltimore unit being an associate unit - that wouldn't be bad either!

A while back someone said that the 41AS leadership was resistant to having "legacy" guys flow into the -J. Is this still the case? I'm about 1.5 years from PCSing and Js are at the top of my list.

I'd also heard a rumor (probably on here) about the Baltimore unit being an associate unit - that wouldn't be bad either!

A while back someone said that the 41AS leadership was resistant to having "legacy" guys flow into the -J. Is this still the case? I'm about 1.5 years from PCSing and Js are at the top of my list.

I don't think the bottleneck these days is what the leadership there wants as much as the limited numbers of training slots available. As of a few months ago, the only J model transition slots were going to Phoenix program-types and the leadership positions and I am pretty sure that is still the case.

I don't think the bottleneck these days is what the leadership there wants as much as the limited numbers of training slots available. As of a few months ago, the only J model transition slots were going to Phoenix program-types and the leadership positions and I am pretty sure that is still the case.

We've had 2 J-model slots (RMS and LRF) drop in the past month, so it is happening. One had just upgraded to IP, the other was an AC who didn't get to upgrade prior to PCSing.

Edited by Fifty-six & Two

Guest Hueypilot812

Baltimore is going to be an active associate unit, but not with the C-130J. They are supposed to give up their airplanes for the C-27J in a few years. From the rumor mill, the AD associate J-model squadrons are going to be Keesler and Rhode Island.

There was a resistance at the 41st to letting legacy guys into the J. The former commander over there was a tanker dude, and from what I have heard he favored people with jet backgrounds (like fellow tanker guys, C-17 types and FAIP/OSA crossflows). That's going to change just out of necessity since more legacy Herk squadrons are eventually going to convert to the J...hence, all those legacy guys will have to go somewhere.

Anyone hear the news that the AMP is as good as dead? Originally in 07 both Dyess squadrons were going J, along with Yokota, but now they are saying only one J squadron at Dyess (the other will keep their H1s) and Yokota will remain legacy.

Also, anyone have gouge on the J-model associate units? I've heard BIX will be starting up soon, and Quonset will follow.

Yes, I had heard that about the AMP.

Wrong. Dyess presently is on track for both squadrons to still go J. No changes to that. Don't know about Yokota. When you say "they are saying only one J squadron at Dyess", who is they?

Don't know a timeline, but BIX will probably be 'soon' and I don't know that a decision has been made on Quonset yet.

Edited by Herk Driver

Guest Hueypilot812

Some of the AETC folks here at LRF went to the L-M plant in Georgia, and they were told only the 40th is getting the J. I guess the first DYS bird is complete and awaiting paint....maybe they are staying mum about the 39th so as to not count their chickens before they hatch...if only one squadron has been funded, it only takes Congress yanking some money to halt the two-squadron plan.

I know the FTU is looking forward to having the H1 AC packs and -15s.

The guys at the 48th have said BIX will be starting up next summer. I wouldn't mind going there after my LRF tour.

Guest Adam West

Baltimore has no plans for becoming an associate unit, sorry... C-130J's are leaving and C-27Js are coming in 2011. The dates are about as hard as quicksand, so stand by for changes.

Also, to answer a previous post, J's routinely fly in RVSM airspace with notable fuel savings and no re-routings.

Baltimore has no plans for becoming an associate unit, sorry... C-130J's are leaving and C-27Js are coming in 2011. The dates are about as hard as quicksand, so stand by for changes.

Also, to answer a previous post, J's routinely fly in RVSM airspace with notable fuel savings and no re-routings.

Where are Baltimore's Js going?

Guest Hueypilot812

Quite a few of us in the 53d are wondering why the AETC guys are getting the H1s. Care to explain the thought process on that one?

The original plan had the 62d remaining the Legacy FTU with H1s, and the 53rd was supposed to receive Js at some point. With all the Es supposedly being retired in a few short years (how they will do this if AMP dies and the J buy is scaled back I don't know), the oldest H-models were going to be FTU airplanes. I haven't heard anything definitive whether the plan to convert the 53rd to Js is still on track or not. If they are still pressing on with the intent to give you guys Js, there's no reason to give you H1s if you're only going to give them up in a few short years.

The original plan I had heard when I worked in XP a few years ago was the 41st, Ramstein, Dyess (both squadrons), Yokota and then the 53rd would receive C-130Js. All other units would receive AMP airplanes over the next decade or so. The H1s would be last to get AMP'd, since the ARANG was going to be the primary AMP FTU and the 62d would remain the Legacy FTU until they finally converted to AMP.

Rumors are flying...obviously there's a lot of talk about AMP getting axed, although I too have heard news of several AMP tails getting funded. I have heard that the powers that be are looking into scaling back the J-model buy, which would leave Dyess with one H1 squadron and one J-model squadron. Yokota may or may not get the J, and the only news I've heard about additional J squadrons at LRF is that they haven't made any changes to the original plan for the 53rd. I've also heard a rumor that if AMP dies, the 61st might get J's instead of another squadron.

So there's lots of stuff floating around out there, but I really don't have any official sources...which is why I asked the questions in the first place. Maybe someone has some real gouge.

As for Baltimore, yes, it's going to be a C-27J unit, however there is talk floating around out there about making it an active associate unit as well.

Where are Baltimore's Js going?

They will be distributed among the current and future J-model squadrons. Baltimore had a bunch of stubbys, and I heard a plan to try and place most of the stubbys with the FTU, since you can't practice zero-flap landings in the stretch. Plus why have the extra pallet positions stuck in an AETC squadron? Baltimore's Js may very well help fill out another squadron or two that otherwise wouldn't have the funding to buy new Js.

Edited by Hueypilot812

Its true about the Baltimore unit getting the C-27J. Found out Aug. drill that the first crew is supposed to leave for training in October. Followed with the OT&E and a deployment. As for the airplanes they had 8 when I was selected in April, first two left in June for LRF. The 135th is supposed to deploy in January taking stretch Channel Islands birds and leaving the stubbys at Channel Islands. The Hercs are due to hang around in order to keep the MX guys employed. Kinda hope I get the chance to fly them one day, it'd make me a 2nd Gen Herk Bum. Anyway, thats all I got.

Some of the AETC folks here at LRF went to the L-M plant in Georgia, and they were told only the 40th is getting the J. I guess the first DYS bird is complete and awaiting paint....maybe they are staying mum about the 39th so as to not count their chickens before they hatch...if only one squadron has been funded, it only takes Congress yanking some money to halt the two-squadron plan.

I know the FTU is looking forward to having the H1 AC packs and -15s.

The guys at the 48th have said BIX will be starting up next summer. I wouldn't mind going there after my LRF tour.

The first Dyess bird is just being assembled. As of today, Dyess is getting J's for 2 squadrons. Can't speak to any changes that may or may not happen. Today, both the 39th and 40th are getting J's. I'd be surprised to see that change at this point. Of course, if the overall J buy is scaled back, then where airframes are allocated could change again.

Yes, MX at Dyess can support the two airframes if the current plan stays intact. They could also support split ops, but not with current manning.

Edited by Herk Driver