When you are truly not guilty of a speeding charge?

Sean00xj

I was heading to Moab Utah in my lifted jeep when I got pulled over by a Utah trooper coming the other direction. He told me I was doing 82. I laughed outloud because me jeep would fall apart if I was going that speed. He didn't believe me but gave me a ticket for doing 74 in a 65. That is still BS cause I never speed in my jeep as it kills my gas mileage. I was more likely doing 62 than 82. I am still waiting for an OTS date after being selected for a pilot slot on 0505. I had two speeding tickets at that time when I was selected, those I deserved. This one I didn't. I didn't stay in Moab to protest to the judge as I need to be at work on monday. Any advise, will this hurt?

[ 09. October 2005, 17:43: Message edited by: Sean00xj ]

Guest Critical Mass

You could have asked to see the readout of your speed, they are required to produce it upon request. If you truly weren't going 82 then he wouldn't have be able to produce it...unless he accidentally targeted another car that was speeding but thought it was you. If it was radar, that's possible but unlikely, if it was laser then it is VERY unlikely that he targeted the wrong car (if it was used properly). But that doesn't help you now.

I would try some less bastardy tactics first because you won't win any friends doing this but radar is required to be tested using tuning forks prior to being employed. The cop should have annotated the test results somewhere. Request a copy of the results...if they can't produce them it will help your case in having the ticket thrown out.

However, thats the kind of thing you could have brought up in court. Now that you've waived your right to protest the ticket, I don't know how willing they are going to be to work with you.

Have you speed tested it since you lifted it? There are some sites on the internet that will compute your speedometer error based on the different tire size from your factory settings. Won't help you beat the ticket, but something you might want to know.

I havn't waived the right, I could miss two days of work, fly to grand junction colorado, rent a car, drive 2 hours to moab utah, next week....I am 100% certain of my speedo error, I have talked with a dozen jeepers that confirm 32 inch tires, with 4.10 gears and a 32 tooth speedo gear equal a 105% readout of actual speed on the speedo. And although not a source of hard evidence every time I drive by a 'your speed is' my speed is say 60 when my speedo shows 67. I'll try calling the DA tomorrow. If the AF wasn't waiting until 2008 to give me a class date I could have stayed in Utah until tomorrow, as I need my job until the AF provides me one I had to be back home in kansas city for work tomorrow.

[ 09. October 2005, 21:30: Message edited by: Sean00xj ]

Guest croftfam
Originally posted by Critical Mass:

You could have asked to see the readout of your speed, they are required to produce it upon request.

Total MYTH.

Originally posted by Sean00xj:

I could miss two days of work, fly to grand junction colorado, rent a car, drive 2 hours to moab utah, next week....I am 100% certain of my speedo error, I have talked with a dozen jeepers that confirm 32 inch tires, with 4.10 gears and a 32 tooth speedo gear equal a 105% readout of actual speed on the speedo. And although not a source of hard evidence every time I drive by a 'your speed is' my speed is say 60 when my speedo shows 67. I'll try calling the DA tomorrow. If the AF wasn't waiting until 2008 to give me a class date I could have stayed in Utah until tomorrow, as I need my job until the AF provides me one I had to be back home in kansas city for work tomorrow.

Sounds like a reason to just pay the damn ticket and get it over with.

Guest Rainman A-10

A couple thoughts here...

I have been cleared three times on tickets by politely and respectfully asking the officer a couple simple questions.

First, I ask him if he understands doppler shift and how it applies to his radar gun. If he was using a laser I ask him what he understands about side lobe energy.

Second, I ask him if his radar returns information about the fastest target, the closest target or the largest target.

Finally, if I need it, I ask him what the mil size of his targeting beam is and if he understands the principle of mils subtending a greater distance at longer slant ranges. I translate for him if he only knows the degrees.

There's always manuevering room in their answer somewhere. I don't try to seem like a know it all In fact, I make it seem like I'm "strong like bull, smart like tractor" but still capable of understanding these things even though I don't use radar guns for a living.

Don't try this if you don't know what you're talking about. Remember, you have to be the one who does the mnvrg in relation to his answers and you might look pretty stupid if you are, in fact, stupid on this stuff.

Probably too late now but you get nothing if you do nothing.

Good luck,

Rainman...A.K.A. Harvard Law

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by Hacker:

I'm trying to figure out how an A-10 guy has a good comprehension of target RCS and side lobe energy!

Don't try too hard. Most people (including myself) don't even try to figure it out, they have given it up to the idiot savant thing...

Mostly IDIOT with a few rare moments of savant sprinkled in.

How much does a candy bar cost? About a dollar.

How much does a new car cost? About a dollar.

243 toothpicks.

Guest Critical Mass
Total MYTH.
And it is a total myth about radar calibrations and requests to see printouts and such.
Uh huh. Well, let me preface my statements with this. I am only 100% CERTAIN that this is the case in Colorado. I would assume that it is the same in Utah but can't be sure. Since I'm assuming you don't know my background, I worked for a police department in Colorado up until May of this year, and again, I'm making the assumption that every policy regarding traffic stops hasn't changed in the last few months. Horrible assumptions, I know.

Provide a printout of your speed? How about the cop just shows you the digital readout of your recorded speed...that would be much easier. I remember doing so plenty of times, along with recording the results from my tuning fork calibrations. I hope I wasn't wasting my time with a myth. But I'm not actually worried. I also remember at least one case that WAS thrown out because an officer in a nearby department couldn't produce his memo pad from the night of the stop, where he recorded his test results. But take it with a grain of salt, apparently I don't know what I'm talking about.

Guest AirGuardian

Speaking of the gifted like me!

What makes the grass grow, what makes the sky blue, how does a Posi Traction work...."it just does!" - JD's Dad

This works for my simplton @ss Rainmaster! You need to see Joe Dirt if you haven't!

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by Karl:

I've been pulled over countless times, but never recieved a ticket. Why? Because I'm respectful, honest, and I whip out the military id.

I've been yanked over seven times in the last year. Polite, respectful, keys out of the ignition and in my hands (both of which are in view) with my wallet and registration on the dash. Never received anything other than a "watch your speed", a handshake and a thank you.

No problem.

Guest thebronze
You could have asked to see the readout of your speed, they are required to produce it upon request.
WRONG!

Just because it may be that way in CO (or whatever city you worked), doesn't mean it's that way everywhere.

It's not that way in CA. There's no provision for a motorist to lawfully see the RADAR readout in the CA Vehicle Code.

Be careful of broad generalizations...

I cited a trucker one time and he demanded to see the RADAR and I told him "No" (I don't take kindly to people questioning my integrity). He made a big production about "See you in court, etc." "No problem, see you there, I get overtime for it". Guess what. He paid the ticket...

Heck in Nebraska, and some other states, we are not required to even lock the speed into the radar. All that is required is seeing that the person is speeding, hearing the radar tone and knowing that it is a "speeding tone" and seeing the radar read out.

Yet another piggyback... I haven't gotten a speeding ticket in almost six years. I've been pulled over seven times in that time. Every time, I've done basically what that web link above mentions. Being polite, admitting your mistake, and keeping the officer's safety obviously first go a very long way, along with having all the interior lights on when he walks up if it's dark outside. I don't retrieve anything until he asks to see it, and when I do, I tell him what I'm doing (got that from a CHiPs episode). Doesn't help the original poster now, but the point is, the cop has a choice on what to do with you when he pulls you over, and most of the time, it depends how the driver responds. I can see how asking to see a radar readout, or questioning him about his equipment would rub him the wrong way. STFSx2.

And also, the last time I got pulled over was pretty funny. On the way to base early morning a couple of weeks ago. It was a very rare occasion that I woke up late and was really hustling that early in the morning. So sure enough, there I was, pulled over for 51 in a 35 about a mile from the gate (though it was actually a 40 right where he got me - doesn't matter). All the standard protocol. He goes back to his car to check up on me when all of a sudden I hear his door swing open, followed immediately by the pounding of boots on the pavement, and the sounds of keys, weapons, and a heavy body being moved quickly towards me, which I confirmed in the sideview mirror. He throws my stuff back at me and in a deep Arkansas drawl blurts, "just slow it down, OK? I gotta go!" Before I could put a "yes sir, I sure will" together correctly, I can hear his wheels spinning in reverse and he backs onto the main road and takes off with lights on, max blast. I can hear lots of distant sirens, go through the gate, and turn back on the AM radio to hear, "...and it looks like we have an over-turned vehicle on 67 in Jacksonville, traffic is at a complete stop..." Rocker - 1, Jacksonville - 0. Always a reminder to me to stop speeding, though.

[ 11. October 2005, 19:40: Message edited by: Rocker ]

Originally posted by Rocker:

I don't retrieve anything until he asks to see it, and when I do, I tell him what I'm doing (got that from a CHiPs episode).

chips.jpg

I have nothing to contribute to this discussion, only the picture.

Originally posted by Rocker:

"...and it looks like we have an over-turned vehicle on 67 in Jacksonville, traffic is at a complete stop..." Rocker - 1, Jacksonville - 0. Always a reminder to me to stop speeding, though.

...and that's why I don't miss the Rock. Have fun at the Cowboy, fellas haha. Of course down here we have 98 instead of 67, so in terms of traffic I've actually increased my suffering.