Fighter pilot IMAX

Guest Dirt Beater

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for being here...I too had to laugh at some of the Hollywood crap put in the movie. However, I went to the movie with my 12-year-old cousin who absolutely loved it and wants to be a fighter pilot someday, so I had to bite my tongue for most of the movie. I make fun of this stuff and the close-trail BFM in Top Gun, but sadly enough, when I was a kid these films are what me want to be a fighter jock someday...

"It appears my hypocricy knows no bounds."

Was it an AWACS scope or a briefing playback? Range data can be 3d-ified. Good for explaining to the ranking types why they want to buy more Raptors.

And 130J's

And KC-767's

And oh shit--we're buying an entire new Air Force all at once! Honey, where did I leave the checkbook?

But I digress.

Originally posted by gimmeaplane:

Was it an AWACS scope or a briefing playback? Range data can be 3d-ified.

No, it was supposed to be real time. We use ACMI all the time, and this was a step above that. The AWACS controllers were watching aircraft route around 3-D terrain and trying to deconflict flightpaths and determine who was dead. It was a decent job at portraying the chaos of an RTO, but the graphics were silly.

• 5 months later...

I saw it today. I thought it was funny that all of the ABMers had pilot wings on. That was great. Also every time the "fighter pilot" took off he was cleared unrestricted to FL250.

Originally posted by AFUPTstud:

I saw it today. I thought it was funny that all of the ABMers had pilot wings on.

Those aren't pilot wings...they are ABMer wings. Pilots have radiators, ABM'ers have....well, who the hell cares what they have on their wings.

I saw it earlier this year at the Boeing IMAX when it premiered. I thought there were great parts along with some expected cheesy bits. I was able to talk with Maj. Novotny who was the briefer, etc. HOLY SHIT that guy is full of himself...I was amazed . Although he is accomplished (F-15 test pilot, ABM, etc) he just acted like everyone should bow at his feet.

Guest Bullmastiff
Originally posted by MrHarvester:

The movie is worth seeing, but I was expecting a lot more cool footage than it actually had. Ditto on the cheese factor. I especially liked the scene where the ABM and some other guy in the back of the AWACS were confused about what the different colored airplanes meant on the radar screen.

That is not a AWACS(that I have ever known about). I was on AWACS 6 years, and unless this s a new test bed, it was complete BS... We definetely didnt have plasma's hanging up in theback of the jet so you could see the bigpicture

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AirGuardian

At least you can decide who gets gas and who doesn't Berg! Nice to be in control once in awhile!

"E is for E-model, not Evil...and you have to pay first, before we pump!" - Bergman

Bergman - Gas Hooker of the sky!

Originally posted by AirGuardian:

Bergman - Gas Hooker of the sky!

He's actually kind of a gas pimp. His boom operator is his number 1 ho who sticks his boom into the customer's recepticle. I usually see him at the intersection of V118 and V230.

• 1 year later...

THREAD REVIVAL!!

I know you all are tickled pink that I revived this thread, but I picked up the DVD a few days ago when I bought my new 61" JVC TV at the BX. I just had to see what all the fuss was about!

Well, despite wanting to on several occassions, at least it wasn't quite as bad as the Iron Eagle series. Felt like a recruiting commercial to me, and as we all know those are always 100% truthful and correct.

It's always nice to see Hawgs in action, even with the cheesy pyrotechnics. I was surprised that no one tried to sneak in picking their nose or something similar, everybody was on their best behavior (I am sure they were all warned by the "leadership" beforehand that any ****ing around would not be tolerated!). But for the most part the criticisms noted here are all true....but my kids loved it!

Cheers! M2

I just now got my vision back from all the flares I saw in the movie.

Two favorite parts: the B-2 low level, and the crew chief saluting thing.

The Iron Eagle w/ the brit, japanese, german pilots was more realistic.

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by M2:

[QB]I was surprised that no one tried to sneak in picking their nose or something similar, everybody was on their best behavior (I am sure they were all warned by the "leadership" beforehand that any ****ing around would not be tolerated!). /QB]

Yep. That wasn't a real Red Flag mass brief. Those weren't real controllers on AWACS. They pretty much shut down Nellis (test, schoolhouse, AGOS, everything) and shuttled everyone in a bag over to support the thing. Lots of griping but no one felt safe enough to slip in an "inadvertant extended middle finger", which bummed me out when I watched it.

I gave some of my bros shit about it after I saw it and they collectively groaned "Dude, you have no ****ing idea" and they all looked down at their boots and fell silent. I let it drop.

• 4 weeks later...

My guy took our young boys to an IMAX theatre to see it when it came out. I had never seen it so since it's out on DVD now he bought it and brought it home and we all watched it tonight.

To your average bear (and I guess I'm semi-average), it looked 'Top Gun' cool. My guy was getting annoyed having to pause it with me because I kept asking questions and throwing the bullsh*t flag on the field at many events - the pilot parachuting down to play the mock downed pilot, the F-15s doing all those rolls, doing the FOD walk on the runway, how 'nice' everybody was in the briefing...they looked like Stepford pilots in comparison to the guys I know!

Anyway...it's probably a good recruiting video. I kept waiting to see the reaction from the guys sent home early from the dance, though.

• 2 years later...

A friend of mine is the nephew of the guy that did the pyro work for this movie, as well as countless airshows (Rich Gibson of Rich's Incredible Pyros). He helped out on this movie too and told me of a scene that didn't even make it on the movie. They packed a target tank with a crapton of AMPHO and set it off. Took out several of those pricey IMAX cameras too.

It might not be the most technically accurate flick out there but I'll take it as entertainment. I can't count how many movies have been made about the Army, Navy and Marines but there are very, very few Air Force movies around. We recently started getting cameos in movies like Iron Man and Transformers but not too many flicks with a central Air Force theme. Baby steps...someday we'll have our "Platoon" "Full Metal Jacket" or "Top Gun" etc. hell I'd settle for an Air Force comedy like the Army's "Stripes" or Navy's "Down Periscope"