Volunteering

ColoradoAviator

Hey guys. I have a simple question.

I keep hearing people say "Volunteer for community service" or stuff along those lines.

So I am wondering what kind of stuff did you do?

What would you recommend?

-Nick :salut:

You can do pretty much anything... but it might help you boost your package so to speak if you do something different than the norm. I went to the shithole slums outside Tegucigalpa, Honduras and built houses for the poor. I did that before I even thought about applying to the Air Force, more for the excuse to have a cheap trip to a country I had never been to than anything else. Lots of people have been impressed with it... they think it was a miserable trip when it was really a total blast. Just find something you enjoy and the rest will fall in place.

This summer I am coaching football at my old high school as part of their summer program. Builds hours and looks great because it looks like you are giving back to a part of the community that has helped to shape you to the person you are today. Ahh nothing better than having the oppotunity to warp.. er.. shape young minds.

• 10 months later...

I'm looking to do some volunteer work with veterans. The nearest VA facility is an obvious first choice, but when I emailed the facility in my hometown for some volunteering information, they said that you must volunteer a minimum of 4 hours a week for a minimum of six months. Going to a college 4 hours from my hometown, that won't work.

Anyone have a good way to do some volunteer work with veterans?

-Port Dog

Intregity first. Generally boards will know if you are bullshitting them.

Reminds me of my favorite awards package under review. I seriously thought it was a joke...the bullet read:

"Saves lives and feeds thousands" - volunteer with some doctors across the world organization.

This was truly blown way out of proportion and it was quite obvious to the board that it was impossible for this individual to have personally accomplished this. If you donate $5 to their cause, don't through their mission statement from the website on your OPR/awards package. True, I do not fully know his/her involvement, but come on buddy.

Volunteer, and do it often, but do what you love. Someone else will think you are crazy because they do not enjoy that, but you will have fun. Also, doing a good deed only to make yourself look good somewhat defeats the purpose. And personally, those are not fun people to "volunteer" with because of the constant attitude while accomplishing the task.

As far as the VA commitment, go ahead and commit to it. They will more than likely allow you to be flexible. They just probably don't want to have to screen you as a volunteer and have you show up for only one hour. Once they accept you as a volunteer, they will allow you to work around your school schedule. It will be worth it and the stories you will gain from those men and women will amaze you.

Good luck and enjoy!

• 1 year later...

Not to say that people on this website don't contribute enough as it is by being in the military. But I've recently decided to get off my ass and start getting involved and it has proven to be incredibly rewarding. Helped out Forgotten Soldiers Outreach yesterday with putting together some "care packs" to be sent to Iraq and helped out Habitat for Humanity in the afternoon.

Spent my Saturday working for free and it was great. Helped others in a small way, met people (great chick to guy ratio :salut:) and learned some skills. :rock:

Guest boredwith9to5

I got a question about volunteering..

I've volunteer'd for many groups and activities through out my life for various reasons or another. The last couple of years though, I slacked off after getting married. My package is due in Sept for the 10-01 board. If I started mass volunteering over the next few months, will 'they' know that I've only been at it for a few months and will it look bad? Just a thought.

Edited by boredwith9to5