Protesters at soldier's funerals

Guest Sundowner

If you do some research on the "church" you'll find out that they're really not much of a church in the sense that most of us know it.

They are the same thing to Christianity what suicide bombers and terrorists are to Islam.

Guest AF2ANG

This absolutely makes me sick to my stomach.

Number one, how dare they protest the funeral of someone who is A) a selfless soldier who lost his life protecting those very people and B) a fellow American - And number two, how do they do this in the name of God? :confused:

Sickening.

I think we should all find the address to this church and each of us write them a letter.

-Michaela

Guest AF2ANG

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Westboro Baptist Church with bannerWestboro Baptist Church is a controversial religious organization (and alleged cult) based in Topeka, Kansas, USA, headed by minister Fred Phelps. The church is located in the basement of his home, which sits in the middle of a large fenced compound occupied by nine of his thirteen children and their spouses.

Nearly every time that a massive tragedy or disaster strikes in which people are killed or wounded, Westboro Baptist Church quickly thereafter releases a statement that inevitably says that its members are celebrating the deaths and injuries. Church members claim to achieve "divine enjoyment" hearing stories of pain and suffering befalling people, and that their only regret when such incidents occur is that more people hadn't died; they further claim that they pray for tragedy such as murder, rape, terrorist attacks car accidents, plane crashes, natural disasters, and health problems to befall people so that they may ridicule them on their website and, hopefully, picket them. Their writings - "Epics" describing their picketing activities, and letters in response to people who have written to them are collected on their website.

The group is notorious for its website GodHatesFags.com, and its related public statements that God hates all gay people, no matter what. They are adamant in this belief, and are equally adamant in the belief that everyone needs to hear it and believe it. According to its website, "'God hates fags' [...] is a profound theological statement, which the world needs to hear more than it needs oxygen, water and bread." The group has attracted controversy for welcoming both individual murders and large-scale disasters as divine retribution against homosexuals and their "enablers". The group has been recognized by the IRS as a tax-exempt church for several years. In 2000 the group nearly lost its status, but was saved by a series of lawsuits it filed against the IRS citing religious persecution. As of 2000, the church began steadily losing its privileges (see below section "The Compound") and remains in constant risk of losing its tax-exempt status altogether.

Fred Phelps has worked with leaders of the racist and antisemitic Christian Identity movement, and some of his theological pronouncements mirror core tenets of Identity, a theology adhered to by at least two persons who joined Phelps' congregation.

Guest Wxpunk

Personally, I'd don a mask and take care of business after the funeral. One by one they'd visit the hospital, then the dentist. If it were my family member's funeral, they might even visit the morgue.

Fvck 'em all!

-----------

Wxpunk

Guest flecth033

These a$$holes came to our school for a debate about a year and half ago. I didn't get to the event early enough to make it in. Listened to some of thier sh!t over the speakers and just ended up leaving out of disgust. These people have lawyers with them and make their money off of the people fighting with them. Truthfully after hearing about them protest at a service members funeral, I don't think they will be able to be protected much longer. Some family member will soon not be able to take them protesting a funeral.

[ 24. July 2005, 21:05: Message edited by: flyguy ]

20050704_super-picket8.jpg

I don't want to make a joke of ANYTHING on that site, but you have to admit, that's a funny picture. Regardless, I wonder how hard they'd be praying for more casualties if it was their own sick people being killed. I just can't believe they get away with this stuff among the local population when they have their little "protests." (What EXACTLY are they protesting again?) It was one thing with the whole "Baby Killers" movement during Vietnam, but this is way, way worse. Anyone got an extra JDAM they can let go of?

Guest flecth033

After looking at their website you can tell it won't be long before something happens with these sick bastards (dumbasses post their protest schedules). It looks like most of their stuff is aimed toward Gays which the gays are used to. However, picketing service members funerals is going to spell disaster because some dudes buddies aren't going to put up with it.

It is one thing to post something on your site like this and that Michael Crook punk, but it's another thing to show up at someones funeral. Yes,I believe in free speech, but protesting a funeral is asking for one. If these a$$holes went and did their 9/11 protest right after it happened they wouldn't have made it long. Kansas has a big Army presence and I'm surprised these sick bastards haven't felt it yet.

Guest briscoe

This type protest was only a matter of time. It will be Vietnam all over again.... not sure I can handle that again. People disgust me. They have a right to protest but they do not have the right to infringe on the personal life of another. Protesting a funeral is certainly infringing on the personal rights of another. Do not confuse these people with real Christians. Put them in the same category of Jim Jones and David Koresh (not sure if I spelled his name right). In time it will be learned that the “Westboro Baptist Church” is not a church at all but a collection of deviates who have taken this road for financial gain only. Think of it… all it takes is for one grief stricken family member to justifiably slap one of these pathetic excuses of a human and the “church” will sue them and take everything. Why…? Because not only is the world full of people like these it is also full of people like these who go to law school. For the record… God does not hate homosexuals… he does not hate murderers or rapists… he hates what they do but he does not hate them. And he certainly does not hate a soldier who gives his life. I’m a pretty mild mannered individual… but… I think I would don black and visit pains upon their household at night were I to be given the chance. Maybe ship them here to Iraq and let them see how the Islamic radical does things. I would be the first in line to protest that funeral. Maybe they would slap me then I would get their money… hey, this ain’t such a bad idea… I might be on to something here. Not only could I effectively dissolve this excuse for a church… I could get rich to…. Hummm… I gotta go… I got plans to make.

Guest waxgoblin

i searched high and low for the picture from www.repentamerica.com with the protestors in SF during the gay marriages with the signs that said "aids cures gays," but i had to settle on this pic..

clearedhot6sl.jpg

Under the Patriot Act couldn't these people be considered terrorists? They are inflicting psycological(sp) terror and harm on the families of the soldiers. If that is the case then they should be arrested and charged with commiting acts of terror.

I am not as surprised at the protests by the Phelps clan as the previous posters have been. I grew up in Topeka and had to drive by the Phelps every Sunday on the way to church. They have protested at funerals of police officers, the funeral of Matthew Shepard (the gay kid that was beaten to death in Wyoming), and other events that get national attention, this is their standard fare. They are disgusting human beings and what they do is revolting.

For better or worse (I think probably worse) what they do is protected under Freedom of speech/religion/protest. Writing them letters or beating the shit out of them will only play into their sick and twisted desires. They crave the attention and get off on it. Don't feed the trolls.

As difficult as it may be I think that it is important to ignore the the Phelps protesters and focus on the lives and sacrifices made by those whose funerals they are protesting at. Don't let them steal the attention from those who deserve it.

Another sick situation happened at a Marine's funeral in Pennsylvania. http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/07/25/funeral.a...y.ap/index.html

[ 25. July 2005, 14:39: Message edited by: El Duderino ]

sadly i'm going to have to agree with the dude...it is protected by the 1st amendment. i may not like what they say or do, or even believe in it just like most of you...but you know what guys, that's why uncle sam pays us the big bucks to protect and give the right to protest for these assholes. i decided to check out their website from home rather than at work and was sickened by it. sadly they'll be protesting tomorrow at a funeral in utah for a fallen GI. instead of celebrating this soldiers death, they should be thanking his family for putting his life on the line for freedom and giving them a right that they abuse.

For all the peace protestors out there -

Peace Activist Etiquette

With all of this talk of impending war, many of us will encounter "Peace Activists" who will try and convince us that we must refrain from retaliating against the ones who terrorized us all on September 11, 2001, and those who support terror. These activists may be alone or in a gathering.....most of us don't know how to react to them. When you come upon one of these people, or one of their rallies, here are the proper rules of etiquette:

1. Listen politely while this person explains their views. Strike up a conversation if necessary and look very interested in their ideas. They will tell you how revenge is immoral, and that by attacking the people who did this to us, we will only bring on more violence. They will probably use many arguments, ranging from political to religious to humanitarian.

2. In the middle of their remarks, without any warning, punch them in the nose.

3. When the person gets up off of the ground, they will be very angry and they may try to hit you, so be careful.

4. Very quickly and calmly remind the person that violence only brings about more violence and remind them of their stand on this matter. Tell them if they are really committed to a nonviolent approach to undeserved attacks, they will turn the other cheek and negotiate a solution. Tell them they must lead by example if they really believe what they are saying.

5. Most of them will think for a moment and then agree that you are correct.

6. As soon as they do that, hit them again. Only this time hit them much harder. Square in the nose.

7. Repeat steps 3 to 5 times until the desired results are obtained and the idiot realizes how stupid his/her argument is.

8. There is no difference in an individual attacking an unsuspecting victim or a group of terrorists attacking a nation of people. It is unacceptable and must be dealt with. Perhaps at a high cost.

We owe our military a huge debt for what they are doing for us and our children. We must support them and our leaders at times like these. We have no choice. We either strike back, VERY HARD, or we will keep getting hit in the nose.

Lesson over, class dismissed. GOD BLESS AMERICA !!

Those same jackasses came to my school sometime soon after 9/11 because a church in the area was inducting a homosexual bishop and they came to protest it. They were holding such signs as "Got Hates Fags" and "Thank God for 9/11" as they dragged American flags around in the mud. I, not so politely, loudly voiced my opinion of them and their organization to one of their upstanding members. I was extremely tempted to punch them right in the face, but there were many law enforcement officers around and I didn't feel like getting arrested. It is my personal opinion that these individuals are acting out of rage stemming from "coming up short".

[ 25. July 2005, 21:15: Message edited by: UPTBoundROTCGuy ]

Toro. That is freakin great. It is now hanging on my wall. But I have to know did you come up with that by your self or did Rainman help?

UPtBound there were students at my high school in Idaho who wore the Thank God for 9/11 shirts and others like them. Myself and some buddies did punch them in the nose. I dedicate one to you.

Myself and some buddies did punch them in the nose. I dedicate one to you.
I prefer to punch them in the back of the head, but to each their own. I think it might be amusing to suggest to them that THEY are card carrying members of the fudge packers union...kind of curious how they would react...

I think I might like to shit in Hanoi Jane's cereal on behalf of all the troops "that have told her to speak out". Giving her daughter a Rusty Fishhook with her watch might be appropriate too.

HD

Toro, you hit the nail on the head. I couldn't have said it better myself. With regards to the protesters, lets just say I'm glad that I have never seen them around any funeral I've attended. I would try to show restraint, but would most likely lose it with all the emotion surrounding a service member's death.

Personally, getting all huffy over some extremists like this is a complete waste of energy.

There is no argument you can make or velocity of punch you can throw which is going to make them change their opinion. They are so far beyond normal, rational thought that anything you do to show them just how far away from center they are will be completely ineffective.

Best to just recognize them for the whackos they are and, so long as they aren't causing any violation to anyone's life, liberty, or property, let 'em be.

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by Hacker:

Best to just recognize them for the whackos they are and, so long as they aren't causing any violation to anyone's life, liberty, or property, let 'em be.

Good point.

I'm an emotional guy with a bad temper. Not sure I could be quite so idealistic if they were protesting at my brother's or son's funeral.

Some things are just plain wrong.

I agree with Hacker. It's unfortunate that they're so sick, but no amount of reason or rationality will change them and bring them back to the light. So as long as they stay out of the garden, they are free to do what they do in peace and like it or not, it's up to us to make sure they have that right. ...and then we can appreciate all our own hard work when they come protest at our own funeral...on second thought - F_CK IT - maybe one of those B-2 pilots out there could sort of put their career on hold for awhile and accidentally plug in the "wrong" coordinates to one of five or so JDAMs in a drop and carbonize 'em for all of us. Sorry, that's just my immaturity talking. I understand, but I hate it.