Protesters at soldier's funerals

Guest Sundowner

Browsing the boards, they seem to be pretty scattered around the country, but centralized around military installations (which makes sense...)

I was noticing that as well. I work on an Army post, so maybe there will be a few around here.

• 1 year later...

THREAD REVIVAL:

Looks like these pieces of shit got a nod from a federal court to keep it up. Good on Missouri for trying.

Link

Washington (CNN) -- Missouri's tight restrictions on protests and picketing outside military funerals were tossed out by a federal judge Monday, over free speech concerns.

A small Kansas church had brought suit over its claimed right to loudly march outside the burials and memorial services of those killed in overseas conflicts. The state legislature had passed a law to keep members of the Topeka-based Westboro Baptist Church from demonstrating within 300 feet of such private services.

Church members, led by pastor Fred Phelps, believe God is punishing the United States for "the sin of homosexuality" through events including soldiers' deaths. Members have traveled the country, shouting at grieving family members at funerals and displaying such signs as "Thank God for Dead Soldiers," "God Blew Up the Troops" and "AIDS Cures Fags."

The Supreme Court last year had granted a temporary injunction blocking enforcement of the law until it could be challenged. The justices will hear a similar challenge this fall involving the same church.

Judge Fernando Gaitan in a 19-page order, dismissed the state legislation.

The laws, said the Kansas City-based judge, "could have the effect of criminalizing speech the mourners want to hear, including speech from counter-protesters to plaintiffs' [the Westboro Church's] message. As the law burdens substantially more speech than is necessary to further the government's interest, [the law] violates the free speech clause of the First Amendment."

Phelps, his daughter, Shirley Phelps-Roper, and other church members had protested near the August 2005 funeral of Army Spc. Edward Lee Myers in St. Joseph, Missouri. The married Army Airborne Ranger died while on patrol in Samarra, Iraq, when an improvised explosive device detonated near his Humvee military vehicle. He was 21, and in addition to his wife, he left behind a daughter. He was later buried at Leavenworth National Cemetery in Kansas.

In response to that protest, Missouri lawmakers passed the "Spc. Edward Lee Myers Law," criminalizing picketing "in front or about" a funeral location or procession.

Phelps-Roper then went to federal court to ask for a preliminary injunction to block enforcement of the statute until its constitutionality could be reviewed. A federal appeals court eventually agreed. That court did not address the broader First Amendment claims, but noted the law was overly intrusive, since it "restricts expressive activity not just within or on the premises of a cemetery of a church, but also on traditional public fora such as the adjacent public streets and sidewalks."

The Supreme Court has never addressed the specific issues of laws designed to protect the "sanctity and dignity of memorial and funeral services," as well as the privacy of family and friends of the deceased. But the justices in October will hear an appeal from the father of a U.S. solider killed in Iraq, after members of the Westboro Church conducted an angry demonstration at his son's burial service in Maryland. The family of the Marine had won a $5 million judgment from the protesters, which was overturned by lower federal courts.

At issue is a balancing test between the privacy rights of grieving families and the free-speech rights of demonstrators, however disturbing and provocative their message. Several other states besides Missouri have attempted to impose specific limits on when and where the church members can protest.

The justices are being asked to address how far states can go to justify picket-free zones and the use of "floating buffers" to silence or restrict the speech or movements of demonstrators exercising their constitutional rights in a funeral setting. Various jurisdictions across the nation have responded to the protests with varying levels of control over the church protesters.

According to a legal brief it filed with the Supreme Court, church members believe it is their duty to protest and picket at certain events, including funerals, to promote their religious message: "That God's promise of love and heaven for those who obey him in this life is counterbalanced by God's wrath and hell for those who do not obey him."

The congregation is made up mostly of Phelps and his family. The pastor has 13 children, and at least 54 grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren. He described himself as an "old-time" gospel preacher in a CNN interview in 2006, saying, "You can't preach the Bible without preaching the hatred of God."

The church has also protested at least since 1993 at funerals of gay persons, those who died from AIDS, and others whose lifestyles are deemed sinful but were touted as heroic upon their death.

Missouri officials said the appeals court improperly balanced the free speech rights of both sides in favor of the church.

"Mourners cannot avoid a message that targets funerals without forgoing their right to partake in funeral or burial services, so are appropriately viewed as a captive audience" that is simply unable to shut out the offensive message, said state attorneys.

The case is Phelps-Roper v. Koster (06-4156-cv).

I don't see how this 'group' can't get hit by hate speech laws.

Our nation's enemies have always tried to use our own laws against us. I'm not sure who would categorize this filth as citizens.

I don't see why this group doesn't git hit by one or two of these...2927260.jpg

Worst part is if we and a bunch of Patriot Guard riders were to say, protest at the Westboro Baptist Church, the same judge would probably find against us for disrupting their rights.

WTF.

exactly

My wife asked a great question: "Why is the government bending over backwards so as not to violate the rights of 30 or so f*cking idiots?"

• 2 months later...

Worst part is if we and a bunch of Patriot Guard riders were to say, protest at the Westboro Baptist Church, the same judge would probably find against us for disrupting their rights.

WTF.

Nah. If somebody used the exact same method of "peaceful protest" on public land in front of his church shithead brainwashing center, I would defy any judge to come up with a plausible legal reason as to why such turnabout is not fair play.

Nah. If somebody used the exact same method of "peaceful protest" on public land in front of his church shithead brainwashing center, I would defy any judge to come up with a plausible legal reason as to why such turnabout is not fair play.

I'm sure it has been said already, but quite a few of the "shithead"-douchenozzles at this "church" are lawyers who just want to sue if their rights are violated. I'm sure Karma will come back to bite them at some point. Maybe we could ship them overseas to search for IEDs.

Guest Flyinrock

I'm surprised that all their vehicles don't have flat tires with holes in the sidewalls that can't be fixed. Not that I am enciting any illegal activity or suggesting anything untoward. There is a cost for everything and the funerals are an indicator of ultimate price paid by our military. Those who choose to denigrate that sacrifice are scum.

I'm surprised that all their vehicles don't have flat tires with holes in the sidewalls that can't be fixed. Not that I am enciting any illegal activity or suggesting anything untoward. There is a cost for everything and the funerals are an indicator of ultimate price paid by our military. Those who choose to denigrate that sacrifice are scum.

haha... about time!

http://joemygod.blogspot.com/2010/11/oklahoma-westboro-church-gets-tires.html

Members of Westboro Baptist Church returned to their minivan to find its tires slashed after their picket of the funeral of a McAlester, Oklahoma soldier. And every shop in town refused to make any repairs.

• 3 weeks later...

Marion Man Accused Of Stalking Westboro Church Members

Wounded veteran arrested this week

A wounded veteran is being held in the Sedgwick County jail after being accused of stalking members of Topeka's Westboro Baptist Church.

Police pulled over Ryan Newell of Marion in downtown Wichita after he was seen following a vehicle carrying church members. The "Wichita Eagle" reports investigators found a rifle, a handgun and more than 90-rounds of ammunition in the suspect's car.

The 26-year-old Newell told authorities he was providing security for the church members and that he was a reserve police officer. When that didn't check out, they arrested him.

Newell has been booked into jail on suspicion of stalking and false impersonation. His bond was set at $500,000.

Edited by ClearedHot

A wounded veteran is being held in the Sedgwick County jail after being accused of stalking members of Topeka's Westboro Baptist Church.

Police pulled over Ryan Newell of Marion in downtown Wichita after he was seen following a vehicle carrying church members. The "Wichita Eagle" reports investigators found a rifle, a handgun and more than 90-rounds of ammunition in the suspect's car.

The 26-year-old Newell told authorities he was providing security for the church members and that he was a reserve police officer. When that didn't check out, they arrested him.

Newell has been booked into jail on suspicion of stalking and false impersonation. His bond was set at $500,000.

I read that in our local paper- but it was a bit more in depth.

He was charged with three counts of "Criminal use of weapons" - meaning either he had the guns concealed and doesn't have a CCH permit, or he had suppressors on the guns or a combo of both according to the state statute.

Here's the kicker- the guy is a double amputee.

edit- deleted redundant portion already covered by CH's post

Edited by Vertigo

I first read that as 90 POUNDS of ammo. Now that's stockpiling.

• 2 months later...

SCOTUS has ruled 8-1 in favor of the Westboro Baptist Church.

Funeral Pickets are Protected Speech

When I read the oral arguments a few months ago it was clear in my mind the Phelps had a much stronger case and did a much better job argumenting their side than the Plaintiff did. Sometimes my libertarian side disgusts me...

If you want to read the oral arguments, which I highly recommend you do as it gives a lot of insight as to what the supremes were looking for, here it is. Somewhat lengthy but a very good read.

Snyder vs Phelps oral arguments

SCOTUS opinion

Edited by Vertigo

Hooray for Freedom of Speech.

Sadly, it will only get worse.

Is the Westboro church distasteful, abhorrent, sickening...yes. Was the Supreme Court decision the correct one, yes.

"If men are to be precluded from offering their sentiments on a matter which may involve the most serious and alarming consequences that can invite the consideration of mankind, reason is of no use; the freedom of speech may be taken away, and dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washinton

“Free speech is intended to protect the controversial and even outrageous word; and not just comforting platitudes too mundane to need protection.” Colin Powell

This decision is what makes our country better than the majority of the rest of the world.

Coincidentally, it's been in the news the past couple of days that a renowned fashion designer was arrested in France and is being charged with making anti-Semitic remarks. Goes to show what level of protection the douches (rightly) get here that doesn't exist even in other Western countries.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

http://thehayride.com/2011/04/westboro-baptist-church-goes-to-mississippi-and-loses/

On Saturday USMC Staff Sgt. Jason Rogers, who was killed in action in Afghanistan April 7, was buried in Brandon, Mississippi.

That, by itself, is a sadly unremarkable – though certainly noteworthy and solemn – occasion for us to mark.

And in fact when Sgt. Rogers’ body returned to Brandon it was greeted by hundreds, or perhaps even thousands, of well-wishers who gathered at the roadside to honor the fallen American hero. The dashboard camera from Mississippi state trooper Elmo Townsend’s cruiser gives an indication of the scene last Thursday.

What is most notable about Sgt. Rogers’ funeral in Brandon, however, is what didn’t happen.

You see, the troglodytes from Westboro Baptist Church had threatened to spew their poison at Sgt. Rogers’ funeral.

But the Westboro mob wasn’t on the scene, and Sgt. Rogers was laid to rest without incident – thank God.

Why weren’t there protestors?

Planning ahead by the locals, as it turns out.

From an Ole Miss sports message board, a tidbit of information…

A couple of days before, one of them (Westboro protestors) ran his mouth at a Brandon gas station and got his arse waxed. Police were called and the beaten man could not give much of a description of who beat him. When they canvassed the station and spoke to the large crowd that had gathered around, no one seemed to remember anything about what had happened.

Rankin County handled this thing perfectly. There were many things that were put into place that most will never know about and at great expense to the county.

Most of the morons never made it out of their hotel parking lot. It seems that certain Rankin county pickup trucks were parked directly behind any car that had Kansas plates in the hotel parking lot and the drivers mysteriously disappeared until after the funeral was over. Police were called but their wrecker service was running behind and it was going to be a few hours before they could tow the trucks so the Kansas plated cars could get out.

A few made it to the funeral but were ushered away to be questioned about a crime they might have possibly been involved in. Turns out, after a few hours of questioning, that they were not involved and they were allowed to go on about their business.

Fred Phelps, the disbarred lawyer and Democrat activist who leads the Westboro congregation, will undoubtedly pursue some form of legal action for the way his people were thwarted in Brandon. Let him try. There isn’t a jury in Mississippi which will see things his way.

This is a template for how to handle the Westboro people. If lawsuits don’t work, other means will. Whatever it takes to keep them from harassing bereaved military families on the day their fallen loved ones are laid to rest.

W2Y2O.gif

On another note, the dash cam of the LEO is very, very inspiring.

• Upvote 2