Jump to content

Promotion and PRF Information


Guest e3racing

Recommended Posts

Literally it’s 5 posts up.
But on another note: I’d consider all this to be beside the point b/c there’s no way the AF will not continue someone who is just shy of 18 yrs at 2xFOS+6 mos. I know it happened to a bunch of Majors awhile ago in the 2012 force shaping or somesuch, but the AF is bleeding people at the top right now, so don’t worry about it. And if you do make it to sanctuary doubly don’t worry about it (b/c you’re protected).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/28/2022 at 7:32 PM, dream big said:

Just playing devil’s advocate, why not just knock out ACSC, at least by your second look? It wasn’t that much work, granted I knocked it out in 4 months while sitting a desk deployed.  I understand everyone has valid priorities like family but is it worth risking the chance of not being continued at 17.5 years in, so close to that check of the month stability? 

Was this done before ASU started running the program?  I ask because with the way they run the proctored classes now it would be very difficult to get it done in 4 months, if even possible, due to how the pre-reqs for the follow on classes is structured currently.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/25/2022 at 11:41 AM, Nodeskjobs said:

For clarification, if you’re twice passed over, do you get to get payments that were already distributed?

 

thanks!

My understanding is you are not responsible to pay back any un-earned bonus payments in this situation.  I would call the AvB office though and give them your specific situation and they will be able to advise you with the most current guidance.

Edited by Shakermaker
I suck at grammar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Shakermaker said:

My understanding is you are not responsible to pay back any un-earned bonus payments in this situation.  I would call the AvB office though and give them your specific situation and they will be able to advise you with the most current guidance.

You are correct, with a small caveat. I just spoke with the office. Her response:  “If you are twice passed over, and have already received your annual payment, there will be no recoupment of the unearned portion IF you separate on the MSD established by the board. Her understanding is if I elect to retire 1ish month after the board results, I would require a SAF waiver

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I was passed over the first time there was a doc on MyPERs that stated that certain AFSCs are in high demand and will be given continuation. So if you’re worried I’d try to find that doc for a warm fuzzy. I think it’s in the promotion section.
 

I’m not a fan of how the AF doesn’t give you continuation until the second time you’re passed over as it puts you in limbo for a year or so. With that said IF you do get passed over again AND not offered continuation I think you should be able to piece together an AD retirement in the guard/reserves as you only will have 2.5 years to go… someone please correct me if I’m wrong. 

Edited by Lifer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Lifer said:

When I was passed over the first time there was a doc on MyPERs that stated that certain AFSCs are in high demand and will be given continuation. So if you’re worried I’d try to find that doc for a warm fuzzy. I think it’s in the promotion section.
 

I’m not a fan of how the AF doesn’t give you continuation until the second time you’re passed over as it puts you in limbo for a year or so. With that said IF you do get passed over again AND not offered continuation I think you should be able to piece together an AD retirement in the guard/reserves as you only will have 2.5 years to go… someone please correct me if I’m wrong. 

After doing the math, I SHOULD be good for sanctuary. If the board meets for APZ for me next year in March and results come out around July or August, and then I add 6 months to that, I will be within 2 years of retirement. 

All that said I've started grinding away on ACSC. Maybe the board's thoughts on APZ next year won't be so negative and the short tour I'm doing will be seen as valuable or at least enough so to warrant promotion. Thing is, this job is actually fairly busy so it's not like I just sit a desk all day, I actually gotta work a bit. I think I can finish ACSC in 6 months if I put in full weekends and some after work time. It is more to show the board that I'm not giving the AF the middle finger by ignoring ACSC even if they choose not to promote me.   

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Selective continuation board details posted yesterday for CY22B Major LAF-A,F,I,N,X and CY22B Captain LAF-J.... does not list any Critical AFSCs like previous years.... something to read into there?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Slow-Smooth-Fast said:

Selective continuation board details posted yesterday for CY22B Major LAF-A,F,I,N,X and CY22B Captain LAF-J.... does not list any Critical AFSCs like previous years.... something to read into there?

Yes

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Selective continuation board details posted yesterday for CY22B Major LAF-A,F,I,N,X and CY22B Captain LAF-J.... does not list any Critical AFSCs like previous years.... something to read into there?

IIRC, I don’t think they did for CY21 LtCol either.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found the attached on AFPC's public website as I was trying to find some info for a mentee (not related to promotion non-selection, thankfully). There are a handful of helpful inputs; however, this document contradicts itself many times and may reflect what's wrong with the Air Force. 

I especially take umbrage with the part mentioning that officers should advocate for themselves to receive strats, awards, or be pushed for jobs. AFPC thinks it is wrong for officers to believe the system will take care of them. In one sense, they are correct. A system cannot take of someone, but leaders can. I don't think it's too much to expect leaders to build, teach, or lead those in their charge. 

Take a look. I'm interested to see what others think.

OfficerPromo_LLs.pdf

Edited by Muscle2002
Additional thoughts on AFPC's "Lessons Learned"
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Muscle2002 said:

I found the attached on AFPC's public website as I was trying to find some info for a mentee (not related to promotion non-selection, thankfully). There are a handful of helpful inputs; however, this document contradicts itself many times and may reflect what's wrong with the Air Force. 

I especially take umbrage with the part mentioning that officers should advocate for themselves to receive strats, awards, or be pushed for jobs. 

Take a look. I'm interested to see what others think.

OfficerPromo_LLs.pdf 127.53 kB · 5 downloads

Conspicuously absent from that document is literally anything about primary job performance. 
 

Basically if you want to get promoted, know how to make yourself look as good as possible on paper:

strats

additional duties

awards

squadron/group positions in the immediate orbit of the commander

and don't you dare fuck up the formatting 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So many gems in that doc, it's hard to pic just one.  Although I enjoy the reference to the "rhythm" of Air Force life.

Link for the doc on the AFPC site.  

Quote

Many excellent Captains became anonymous Majors--especially in 2nd tier staff roles and those outside the rhythm of Air Force life (no quarterly, annual, AFSC-specific awards).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/13/2022 at 5:18 PM, Blue said:

So many gems in that doc, it's hard to pic just one.  Although I enjoy the reference to the "rhythm" of Air Force life.

Link for the doc on the AFPC site.  

 

Hilarious, because when I was passed over on my IPZ look to Lt Col, they told me it was because I didn't have any of those 2nd tier staff jobs...

Edited by pawnman
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Muscle2002 said:

Take a look. I'm interested to see what others think.

I'm gonna be petty and judge individuals. 

If you look in the properties of that linked .pdf, it shows the author.  If you look up the author in Linkedin, you see someone who was probably successful based on all of the things outlined in that doc (additional duties, awards, and I counted three Masters Degrees).

It's all so very bizarre.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/13/2022 at 3:18 PM, Blue said:

Many excellent Captains became anonymous Majors--especially in 2nd tier staff roles and those outside the rhythm of Air Force life (no quarterly, annual, AFSC-specific awards).

So what the heck is a 2nd tier staff job and how do I sign up for this anonymous major thing?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, BeefBears said:

So what the heck is a 2nd tier staff job and how do I sign up for this anonymous major thing?

Pull up the Reserve Vacancies list on the portal and find yourself an IMA job

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/14/2022 at 5:30 PM, artvandelay43201 said:

Heard the same (~22 Apr)

20th is a no go. Let's see about the 22nd.

MyPers shows that the board still hasn't been received by the Office of the Sec Def.

It's going to be freaking June before this thing comes out. Bureaucracy is extremely frustrating. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BrightNeptune said:

It's going to be freaking June before this thing comes out. Bureaucracy is extremely frustrating. 

For the life of me, I do not understand why it takes 3+ months from the time a board concludes to the time the results are published. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...