Jump to content

Promotion and PRF Information


Guest e3racing

Recommended Posts


 You just never know what the current crop of 0-6/0-7s grading your record care about nor what the board as a whole is asked to place emphasis in.  It’s the largest smoke and mirrors game.  


Had a boss show me where I could find the generic memorandum of instruction for promotions (it's on mypers in the promotion section). Good read on what the boards are told to value when scoring. His take was to try and have your OPR touch on all of the points in the MOI if possible.

They also added (in the last year) career fields expectations as well that outlines what each career field values at different points in your career. Also found on mypers in the promotion section.

That being said, "job performance" can be nebulous like you mentioned.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Nodeskjobs said:

Good deal. I believe I have a good understanding. My only ADSCs are PCS (Jul 2022), and Bonus (Apr 2023). Assuming it was this board, If I declined continuation, I would have to retire NLT 1 Jan 2022.

If I accepted continuation to say 24 years (May 2024), then the 2 ADSCs would remain?

The way I understand it, yes, if you accepted continuation to 24 your two ADSCs remain. If you didn’t they don’t. 
 

If you are actually in this situation please verify with MPF/etc. This was the case last year so I don’t know if the rules changed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the notification period is 18-22 June, then in my experience, the LATER you are notified, the more likely you are to be a NO GO for promotion.

Likewise, a phone call out of the blue vs a scheduled meeting.    If you are scheduled a meeting, the more likely you are a NO GO.

 

that being said, i am scheduled for a meeting on Tuesday!  I also already know through back channels that I am a NON-promote

 

Received a P on overall recommendation

Bottom Line of 2-line PRF:  “#2/3 I/APZ; #2/11 Majs--beyond ready for Lt Col; Def Promote (verbiage)”

Last 7 OPRs:

#1/8 CGOs, (Flt/CC)

#1/4 USAF Majs, Deployed OSD SES; #6/26 Majs (Gp/CC)

#24/144 Majs (Wg/CC)

#7/153 Majs (Wg/CC)

#1/2 Majs (Div/CC)

#3/7 Majs (SES)

#2/10 Majs (SES)

--11x FOGQ and 2x FGOYs

zero negative indicators ever (pt, DUI, anything)

 

I'm not sure what they are looking for strat wise.  even when they have changed all stratifications to exclude the 2nd and 3rd tier strats, i don't even have any of those; i thought i'd be "good to go".

 

 

 

 

Edited by bennynova
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, bennynova said:

If the notification period is 18-22 June, then in my experience, the LATER you are notified, the more likely you are to be a NO GO for promotion.

Likewise, a phone call out of the blue vs a scheduled meeting.    If you are scheduled a meeting, the more likely you are a NO GO.

 

that being said, i am scheduled for a meeting on Tuesday!  I also already know through back channels that I am a NON-promote

 

Received a P on overall recommendation

Bottom Line of 2-line PRF:  “#2/3 I/APZ; #2/11 Majs--beyond ready for Lt Col; Def Promote (verbiage)”

Last 7 OPRs:

#1/8 CGOs, (Flt/CC)

#1/4 USAF Majs, Deployed OSD SES; #6/26 Majs (Gp/CC)

#24/144 Majs (Wg/CC)

#7/153 Majs (Wg/CC)

#1/2 Majs (Div/CC)

#3/7 Majs (SES)

#2/10 Majs (SES)

--11x FOGQ and 2x FGOYs

zero negative indicators ever (pt, DUI, anything)

 

I'm not sure what they are looking for strat wise.  even when they have changed all stratifications to exclude the 2nd and 3rd tier strats, i don't even have any of those; i thought i'd be "good to go".

 

 

 

 

Without seeing the rest of your record or the full OPRs and just going off those strats, the result doesn’t make sense.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, bennynova said:

If the notification period is 18-22 June, then in my experience, the LATER you are notified, the more likely you are to be a NO GO for promotion.

Likewise, a phone call out of the blue vs a scheduled meeting.    If you are scheduled a meeting, the more likely you are a NO GO.

 

that being said, i am scheduled for a meeting on Tuesday!  I also already know through back channels that I am a NON-promote

 

Received a P on overall recommendation

Bottom Line of 2-line PRF:  “#2/3 I/APZ; #2/11 Majs--beyond ready for Lt Col; Def Promote (verbiage)”

Last 7 OPRs:

#1/8 CGOs, (Flt/CC)

#1/4 USAF Majs, Deployed OSD SES; #6/26 Majs (Gp/CC)

#24/144 Majs (Wg/CC)

#7/153 Majs (Wg/CC)

#1/2 Majs (Div/CC)

#3/7 Majs (SES)

#2/10 Majs (SES)

--11x FOGQ and 2x FGOYs

zero negative indicators ever (pt, DUI, anything)

 

I'm not sure what they are looking for strat wise.  even when they have changed all stratifications to exclude the 2nd and 3rd tier strats, i don't even have any of those; i thought i'd be "good to go".

 

 

 

 

Tell me the system is still broken without telling me the system is still broken.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, bennynova said:

If the notification period is 18-22 June, then in my experience, the LATER you are notified, the more likely you are to be a NO GO for promotion.

Likewise, a phone call out of the blue vs a scheduled meeting.    If you are scheduled a meeting, the more likely you are a NO GO.

 

that being said, i am scheduled for a meeting on Tuesday!  I also already know through back channels that I am a NON-promote

 

Received a P on overall recommendation

Bottom Line of 2-line PRF:  “#2/3 I/APZ; #2/11 Majs--beyond ready for Lt Col; Def Promote (verbiage)”

Last 7 OPRs:

#1/8 CGOs, (Flt/CC)

#1/4 USAF Majs, Deployed OSD SES; #6/26 Majs (Gp/CC)

#24/144 Majs (Wg/CC)

#7/153 Majs (Wg/CC)

#1/2 Majs (Div/CC)

#3/7 Majs (SES)

#2/10 Majs (SES)

--11x FOGQ and 2x FGOYs

zero negative indicators ever (pt, DUI, anything)

 

I'm not sure what they are looking for strat wise.  even when they have changed all stratifications to exclude the 2nd and 3rd tier strats, i don't even have any of those; i thought i'd be "good to go".

 

 

 

 

The only thing I see as a potential flag is your final CGO strat being at the flight commander level which is a little strange to me. For one, I would ask why you were under a flight command as a senior Captain. By this point most are graduated flight commanders. Secondly, usually by this point you've attrited enough of the totem poll to get a wing or group level strat. Especially since you move off the wg/gp role the next year. Everything else looks fine to me. Shit tons of FGO awards. Were they all at the squadron/division or higher? If so then I'm instantly discounting every fricken rater who has given feedback that FGO awards are important. (I already suspect they're not since a lot of staffs did away with that category.) 

 

Edit: Should disclaimer I rarely know what I'm talking about and this is in no way meant to be feedback. I'm as much curious about this boards decision as anyone else here. 

Edited by FLEA
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, FLEA said:

The only thing I see as a potential flag is your final CGO strat being at the flight commander level which is a little strange to me. For one, I would ask why you were under a flight command as a senior Captain. By this point most are graduated flight commanders. Secondly, usually by this point you've attrited enough of the totem poll to get a wing or group level strat. Especially since you move off the wg/gp role the next year. Everything else looks fine to me. Shit tons of FGO awards. Were they all at the squadron/division or higher? If so then I'm instantly discounting every fricken rater who has given feedback that FGO awards are important. (I already suspect they're not since a lot of staffs did away with that category.) 

 

Edit: Should disclaimer I rarely know what I'm talking about and this is in no way meant to be feedback. I'm as much curious about this boards decision as anyone else here. 

great catch, and you are correct.   I didn't have many strats at all as a Lt.  and as a Jr. Capt.  I DID have a lot of strats as a mid-grade Captain.  As such, i was passed over for Major, and was a Capt for 4 years too long.  During that time, i wasn't "allowed" to have any jobs that showed progression (as they took away from others having that opportunity).   During that time i was an "Assistant Flt Commander" for an OPR and then an ADO with other Majors (but i didn't get the ADO name, i stayed an Assistant Flt/CC..... both rated on by a Capt!  

I also wasn't eligible for awards during that time, because i had no AF future.    Seems as though they were right.  I have no future.  

I've learned 2x lessons out of this.   

1.  We are ALL better than the AF and should not be defined by what the AF thinks of your promotion package.  

2.  It ONLY matters what you do as an Lt and young Captain.  after that, its a self-licking ice cream cone in one direction or the other, and NOTHING you can do will change that momentum.    

Edited by bennynova
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, bennynova said:

great catch, and you are correct.   I didn't have many strats at all as a Lt.  and as a Jr. Capt.  I DID have a lot of strats as a mid-grade Captain.  As such, i was passed over for Major, and was a Capt for 4 years too long.  During that time, i wasn't "allowed" to have any jobs that showed progression (as they took away from others having that opportunity).   During that time i was an "Assistant Flt Commander" for an OPR and then an ADO with other Majors (but i didn't get the ADO name, i stayed an Assistant Flt/CC..... both rated on by a Capt!  

I also wasn't eligible for awards during that time, because i had no AF future.    Seems as though they were right.  I have no future.  

I've learned 2x lessons out of this.   

1.  We are ALL better than the AF and should not be defined by what the AF thinks of your promotion package.  

2.  It ONLY matters what you do as an Lt and young Captain.  after that, its a self-licking ice cream cone in one direction or the other, and NOTHING you can do will change that momentum.    

I’m in a similar boat (no progression). Didn’t chase a “future” in the AF. Did what I loved, and completely happy with my results.  Being prior-E I knew early my promotion opportunities would be capped unless I wanted to give more than 20.  During my airline interviews, I was never asked about any of my office jobs. I did have plenty of flying stories though. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, bennynova said:

great catch, and you are correct.   I didn't have many strats at all as a Lt.  and as a Jr. Capt.  I DID have a lot of strats as a mid-grade Captain.  As such, i was passed over for Major, and was a Capt for 4 years too long.  During that time, i wasn't "allowed" to have any jobs that showed progression (as they took away from others having that opportunity).   During that time i was an "Assistant Flt Commander" for an OPR and then an ADO with other Majors (but i didn't get the ADO name, i stayed an Assistant Flt/CC..... both rated on by a Capt!  

I also wasn't eligible for awards during that time, because i had no AF future.    Seems as though they were right.  I have no future.  

I've learned 2x lessons out of this.   

1.  We are ALL better than the AF and should not be defined by what the AF thinks of your promotion package.  

2.  It ONLY matters what you do as an Lt and young Captain.  after that, its a self-licking ice cream cone in one direction or the other, and NOTHING you can do will change that momentum.    

Point #1 is huge and been a big focus of my own introspection for several years. The AF has a way of making you feel like they define your value as a human being. They in fact do not, and the AF has proven time over it is actually very poor at determining any human value (i.e. talent) at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, bennynova said:

2.  It ONLY matters what you do as an Lt and young Captain.  after that, its a self-licking ice cream cone in one direction or the other, and NOTHING you can do will change that momentum.    

Disagree man—if that were the case for me, then I wouldn’t have made O-5.  I was a Top 1/3 graduate at SOS and was a Wing CGO/qtr, but had very few strats as a Lt and Capt (and those weren’t anything great).  As a Major in a staff job I just did my normal stuff, but I guess that was enough for my O-6 to give me a couple of solid Major strats and pulled a DP on my IPZ board from the 2-star…which is what really matters to your O-5 board IMO.  That and a breadth of different experiences (ie duty titles)/leadership roles.  I’ve also since been a Wing DS and had a voice on the wing strat meetings…a Major can get a solid push if the bosses think they deserve it, regardless of their prior record.

But I’ll also add this—competition is everything.  If you’re competing with weak swimmers, it’s much easier to look good and that can be a make or break when it comes to strats, awards, and getting a P vs a DP.

Sucks to hear about you and other good guys and gals getting passed over.  I just wanted to add a bit of a different perspective.  Good luck!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just got the call-No-go for me 😂. Now 1 more non-select 🤞  here’s to hoping they don’t change the twice passed over rule next board. Funny thing is they denied my ADSC waiver to retire. Oh well. Best of luck to everyone out there

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, bennynova said:

If we are now in the 5 IPZ years to O5, then I don’t see how the 2 and out rule applies. 
 

I am sanctuaried for retirement now.  And punching out first chance. 

From my last discussion with AFPC they still have the twice passed over rule. It doesn’t make sense to me which is why I’m trying to find out from someone that’s on their 2nd look this board

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, bennynova said:

If we are now in the 5 IPZ years to O5, then I don’t see how the 2 and out rule applies. 
 

I am sanctuaried for retirement now.  And punching out first chance. 

 

8 hours ago, Nodeskjobs said:

From my last discussion with AFPC they still have the twice passed over rule. It doesn’t make sense to me which is why I’m trying to find out from someone that’s on their 2nd look this board

The AF still has to follow federal law (DOPMA), which stipulates the amount of looks officers get.  I'm guessing this is part of the reason why the 5 IPZ idea hasn't been implemented.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Slow-Smooth-Fast said:

 

The AF still has to follow federal law (DOPMA), which stipulates the amount of looks officers get.  I'm guessing this is part of the reason why the 5 IPZ idea hasn't been implemented.

 

That’s an excellent point. The NDAA authorized the 5 looks, but if it conflicts with DOPMA, which takes precedent? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This, BigRed, and AF doesn't understand all the implications yet, the 5 yr look is NOT yet mandatory but recommended legally I believe (prob. to get the glacier moving that way before legally mandatory)

Edited by Swizzle
Quoting BigRed
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:


5 IPZ hasn’t started yet


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

5 hours ago, Slow-Smooth-Fast said:

 

The AF still has to follow federal law (DOPMA), which stipulates the amount of looks officers get.  I'm guessing this is part of the reason why the 5 IPZ idea hasn't been implemented.

 

There is a pseudo 5-year now in that you can opt out of IPZ consideration up to 3 times for specific circumstances. Once you complete your IPZ look however you can't Opt Out of your APZ look. Not the "5 year IPZ window" they promised but it may be useful for some people. Data on MyPers.

 

The ‘Opt Out’ authority allows officers in the grade of captain through lieutenant colonel to request to opt out of promotion consideration to the next higher grade for one or more of the following reasons:

  • To allow an officer to complete a broadening assignment; or
  • To allow an officer to complete a Department of the Air Force-funded resident graduate-level education program (e.g. Masters or PhD); or
  • To allow an officer to complete a career progression requirement, the accomplishment of which has been delayed by either a broadening assignment, a Department of the Air Force-funded resident graduate-level education program, or crossflow to a new career field; or
  • To allow an officer to complete another assignment of significant value to the Department of the Air Force

 

 

Edited by KWings06j
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Swizzle said:

This, BigRed, and AF doesn't understand all the implications yet, the 5 yr look is NOT yet mandatory but recommended legally I believe (prob. to get the glacier moving that way before legally mandatory)

Learning has occurred, I misunderstood it to mean the NDAA mandated the 5 years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, 14N Guy said:

Quick update; 1550 day before official release and I still have not received official notification of my non-selection. Maybe tomorrow morning?

Doubtful for tomorrow morning.  I'd expect a call today/tonight.  If you do somehow make it to public release without official notification, I'd say that's a positive sign for your chances.  It's a pretty big breach of etiquette to let a non-select see the results without prior notification he/she didn't make it.  Good luck man 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, celtic020 said:

Doubtful for tomorrow morning.  I'd expect a call today/tonight.  If you do somehow make it to public release without official notification, I'd say that's a positive sign for your chances.  It's a pretty big breach of etiquette to let a non-select see the results without prior notification he/she didn't make it.  Good luck man 

I found out on Friday through unofficial channels that I was not selected. It is what it is, unfortunately.

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/21/2021 at 9:30 AM, bennynova said:

If the notification period is 18-22 June, then in my experience, the LATER you are notified, the more likely you are to be a NO GO for promotion.

Likewise, a phone call out of the blue vs a scheduled meeting.    If you are scheduled a meeting, the more likely you are a NO GO.

 

that being said, i am scheduled for a meeting on Tuesday!  I also already know through back channels that I am a NON-promote

 

Received a P on overall recommendation

Bottom Line of 2-line PRF:  “#2/3 I/APZ; #2/11 Majs--beyond ready for Lt Col; Def Promote (verbiage)”

Last 7 OPRs:

#1/8 CGOs, (Flt/CC)

#1/4 USAF Majs, Deployed OSD SES; #6/26 Majs (Gp/CC)

#24/144 Majs (Wg/CC)

#7/153 Majs (Wg/CC)

#1/2 Majs (Div/CC)

#3/7 Majs (SES)

#2/10 Majs (SES)

--11x FOGQ and 2x FGOYs

zero negative indicators ever (pt, DUI, anything)

 

I'm not sure what they are looking for strat wise.  even when they have changed all stratifications to exclude the 2nd and 3rd tier strats, i don't even have any of those; i thought i'd be "good to go".

 

 

 

 

Jesus, bro...your strats are better than mine when I got picked up 1 APZ.  If you're ever in my area, drinks are on me.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found out on Friday through unofficial channels that I was not selected. It is what it is, unfortunately.


You’re more than 2x passed over, right? Many times people don’t care to notify you because they figure you already know you didn’t make it.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, ThreeHoler said:

 


You’re more than 2x passed over, right? Many times people don’t care to notify you because they figure you already know you didn’t make it.

 

Correct. He also went out of his way to get me a DP this time. I’m not upset, or anything, I’m just raising my eyebrow a little bit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...