Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

Everyone's gotta make a call on what's best for them and their families -- I certainly don't begrudge anyone deciding to get out or deciding to stay in....but trading information that can strengthen your record, PRF, and chances for promotion on future boards is worthwhile to me and I appreciate the discussion.  To those bouncing to greener pastures, fly safe and hook me up with a buddy pass....Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

13 hours ago, celtic020 said:

Everyone's gotta make a call on what's best for them and their families -- I certainly don't begrudge anyone deciding to get out or deciding to stay in....but trading information that can strengthen your record, PRF, and chances for promotion on future boards is worthwhile to me and I appreciate the discussion.  To those bouncing to greener pastures, fly safe and hook me up with a buddy pass....Cheers!

Are you a pilot?

No transferable? I have trouble believing that. I know there aren’t navs or flight engineers in civi world any longer but I would say your time to a regional has to be easier than the average civilian. Your skills can translate to getting your pilot qual’s and licensees. Buy a plane and fly while still on active duty and build your time.

1 hour ago, Guardian said:

No transferable? I have trouble believing that. I know there aren’t navs or flight engineers in civi world any longer but I would say your time to a regional has to be easier than the average civilian. Your skills can translate to getting your pilot qual’s and licensees. Buy a plane and fly while still on active duty and build your time.

I’ve met several prior WSO/CSO types that were doing contractor RPA work (sensor operator) either as school house instructors or line fliers. $100k+ jobs 

Edited by viper154
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Guardian said:

You make it sound so easy...

• Like 1

I hope you guys get promoted!

But. (Devils Advocate)

You committed to 20 as a major by taking the bonus. Do you think the bean counters want you to promote? Plenty of O-4’s taking over as DO nowadays. No reason to hand out more money when you already took a little extra and signed a contract....

But. (Devils Advocate)
You committed to 20 as a major by taking the bonus. Do you think the bean counters want you to promote? Plenty of O-4’s taking over as DO nowadays. No reason to hand out more money when you already took a little extra and signed a contract....

You’re not committed if you decline continuation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone who get passed over, and can swing it, should leave for the ARC to get promoted.  Too many silly games and half truths by commanders to stick around that swamp.  I think your good deal train is over once that happens, maybe even a year or so before official notice.

additionally, any officer can get a great job on the outside, your bullshit OPR and PRF looks really good on a civilian resume, they don’t know any different, at least most of them. 

Edited by matmacwc
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

And pay the remaining bonus back? While finding a new job?

You don’t have to pay it back. You only have to pay back the unearned portion of what you’ve received. So if you take the lump sum...then you might have a good sized payback. If you didn’t...then you might have a partial year to pay back depending on your bonus anniversary date.
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, IDALPHA said:

But. (Devils Advocate)

Every rated* 0-4 I know of that is a DO is one of the shiny penny type that’s about to go to school / staff or is already an 0-5 select. 

Edit to include rated.

Edited by dream big

5 hours ago, IDALPHA said:

But. (Devils Advocate)

I'm not yet cynical enough to think my bonus status is even a consideration to the board.

Every Pilot 0-4 I know of that is a DO is one of the shiny penny type that’s about to go to school / staff or is already an 0-5 select. 

I’m sorry... what’s your definition of shiny penny again? Because you just threw out three different categories of people in that statement, all of which fall into very different rankings in my opinion.
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Champ Kind said:

I’m sorry... what’s your definition of shiny penny again? Because you just threw out three different categories of people in that statement, all of which fall into very different rankings in my opinion.

Sorry let me be more clear: the only rated  O-4s I have seen as DOs are school selects, or are most likely getting picked up for school.  Of those, most will likely go to staff after.  These are the people I’m referring to as shiny pennies (not in a bad way, but their careers are pretty much taken care of.)   There are a few other 0-4 DOs but they are usually already 0-5 selects (may or may not be shiny pennies.) 

Asking for a friend.

Has there been any guidance for the next O-5 board barring the use of the Silver Bullet ? Ie “If I had one more DP to give?”

He’s in a group of three ITZ and one got the DP neither he or the other P got the silver bullet.

Is his SR an idiot or is there guidance to not use that phrase from HAF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk