Jump to content

Promotion and PRF Information


Guest e3racing

Recommended Posts

All the “good records” of APZ (multiples years worth) were promoted last year, so I’d expect it to go down some.   

True. But you still have the problem of the SR’s who still think APZ’s can’t be promoted so they don’t give them any push at all.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Scrolled=get your name on the list (scroll) that goes to Congress for Reserve commission approval.

It used to be that the MPF would just give you a reserve commission based on converting your Regular commission, if you had one, or if not, then you obviously were a reserve officer on EAD and thus already had a reserve commission. Around the 2006 timeframe, all officers on EAD had their commissions converted from reserve to regular. And then the SECDEF came out with a policy that Regular officers had to get congressional approval to pick up a reserve commission if they transfer from the Active component to a Reserve component.

Congress signs the scroll every quarter. So you need to get with an in-service reserve or guard recruiter to get your name on the scroll as soon as possible because it could take ~4 months for you to be approved for a reserve commission. I don't know how long the scroll is valid, but that should be step 1 for anyone who is about to separate. Once you are scrolled, you can separate and activate your reserve commission the next day and thus have no break in service.

Why do you care about avoiding a break in service? The main reason for a 2x passed over regular officer is promotion. The rules state that to meet a board, you must have at least 1 year of continuous service (regular list and reserve active status list). So if you have a break in service when you switch to ARC, you will not meet the next promotion board in the ARC which occurs in the following year, which means your board will be your 2nd year in the reserve (because you will then have had 1 year of continuous service on the reserve active status list).

BLAB (bottom line at the bottom): scroll now or you will get less money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Chida said:

Scrolled=get your name on the list (scroll) that goes to Congress for Reserve commission approval.

It used to be that the MPF would just give you a reserve commission based on converting your Regular commission, if you had one, or if not, then you obviously were a reserve officer on EAD and thus already had a reserve commission. Around the 2006 timeframe, all officers on EAD had their commissions converted from reserve to regular. And then the SECDEF came out with a policy that Regular officers had to get congressional approval to pick up a reserve commission if they transfer from the Active component to a Reserve component.

Congress signs the scroll every quarter. So you need to get with an in-service reserve or guard recruiter to get your name on the scroll as soon as possible because it could take ~4 months for you to be approved for a reserve commission. I don't know how long the scroll is valid, but that should be step 1 for anyone who is about to separate. Once you are scrolled, you can separate and activate your reserve commission the next day and thus have no break in service.

Why do you care about avoiding a break in service? The main reason for a 2x passed over regular officer is promotion. The rules state that to meet a board, you must have at least 1 year of continuous service (regular list and reserve active status list). So if you have a break in service when you switch to ARC, you will not meet the next promotion board in the ARC which occurs in the following year, which means your board will be your 2nd year in the reserve (because you will then have had 1 year of continuous service on the reserve active status list).

BLAB (bottom line at the bottom): scroll now or you will get less money.

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These numbers do not fill me with hope as a 12B.


It all comes down to the DP vs P. And apparently if you are a P you need the silver bullet or some other stratified P or else your ed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For those of you who didn’t make the cut, I would call AFPC immediately and talk to the promotions counsellor (believe her name is Autumn Foley). If you see or find a mistake in your record, you can submit a request to meet a supplemental board. It’s worth a shot. As one who didn’t make the grade, it’s a shitty feeling, but not the end of your career. If you choose to stay in, find the job that’s best for you and your family. And realistically, unless you can earn a APZ DP, your not getting promoted. It’s an imperfect, brutal system.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, MDDieselPilot said:

Pretty sure no issue with posting this.. let me know if there is.

 

LAF 18b.JPG

laf 18b1.JPG

laf18b2.JPG

So in summary, the USAF is CRITICALLY short of pilots and we are going to institute a flying only career path.  HOWEVER, if you are a major who has completed all your squares but did not get the shinny penny DP (because why would they waste it on a fly only guy or girl), then your chance of promotion to Lt Col is only 41%.  Choose wisely my friends.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The best advice I ever received on AD was from a SQ/CC who is a great dude, pilot, and officer...he was also a HPO on the rocket ship, and he got there without wearing a single knee pad or being anyone's bitch boy.  He is the type of person who the AF should promote to senior leadership, so they got it right at least once.  That all said, here he sat as a HPO SQ/CC with a "bright" future (and he has gone on to do great things), telling me I hit a fork in the road at my UPT commitment.  He painted his career path so far, then what it could be in the guard.  He then unequivocally told me I should without a doubt get off the train at that stop and not be "trapped" into said track like he was.  Best decision I ever made, and I'm thankful every day he gave me that talk early enough that I hadn't made any decisions yet that may have hurt my ARC options.  Bottom line, when a dude like that is saying these things, you're only hurting yourself by not listening...and this was 5 years ago, things have mostly gone downhill since.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

So in summary, the USAF is CRITICALLY short of pilots and we are going to institute a flying only career path.  HOWEVER, if you are a major who has completed all your squares but did not get the shinny penny DP (because why would they waste it on a fly only guy or girl), then your chance of promotion to Lt Col is only 41%.  Choose wisely my friends.

Truer words couldn’t be spoken in this current day. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Choose wisely my friends.

The question is still hanging out there: With all the AFI changes out there, is continuation still a thing?

Handgrips are raised, standing by to squeeze triggers. 

(Yes, I’m old and flew the tweet)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, FourFans130 said:

The question is still hanging out there: With all the AFI changes out there, is continuation still a thing?

Handgrips are raised, standing by to squeeze triggers. 

(Yes, I’m old and flew the tweet)

You should have received info if they offered you continuation or not when you got your letter saying you didn’t make it for the second time. If you didn’t get anything I’d be asking the mpf what’s up.

Yes it is still a thing I knew of one guy of was offered it and turned it down on the O-4 board. He’s out now and starts training at a regional next month. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The question is still hanging out there: With all the AFI changes out there, is continuation still a thing?
Handgrips are raised, standing by to squeeze triggers. 
(Yes, I’m old and flew the tweet)

Yeah, as said above it should have been mentioned in the letter if you were 1APZ. You have 60 days to accept. On myPers, under Promotion, then Selective Continuation Information, there’s some general information, then at the bottom a link to the specific 18B Major’s Board for this particular board. That’s where it lists this board’s critical skills, such as all pilots, a couple of CSO’s, engineers, and a few others like folks in degree programs. Those are the folks that are supposed to be offered 24 years, everyone else just 20. However, I fall in two of those critical buckets and my letters only said 20 and everyone’s trying to figure out why. Yes letters, because I got one from my previous Wing CC, one from AFIT, and one from the ROTC Det CC at the school where I’m attached to while in school! And yeah, the 20 versus 24 matters because I’m trying to make sure they don’t kick me out of the PhD program if I’m continued to 20!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What is the DP vs P spread at each rating period? I assume unlimited P, is there a threshold for how many DP are available? I.e., a squadron has 10 O-4s, does that mean only one, two, etc? 



It’s based on the senior rater, not squadron. Most senior raters are Wing Commanders, sometimes Group Commanders. At MAJCOM level they are usually the respective A1/2/3 directors.

75 is normal for O-4 (before the 100% era) and 50-55 for O-5.

Senior raters get DPs based on how many ITZ they have. If the result is say 2.5, the SR gets 2, and the .5 goes back to the MLR and they add all the .5s together from around the MAJCOM to determine how many ML DPs there are. Then they have a knife fight to award those DPs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • M2 locked this topic
  • M2 unlocked this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...