Jump to content

Promotion and PRF Information


Guest e3racing

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, 14N Guy said:

Yea, I think what I was trying to say about the DP is that I didn’t understand how I got a DP for my O-4 board (based on my records leading to that point), then my records have improved every year since then and still got passed over for O-5 IPZ and now APZ. I should have clarified that I wasn’t trying to compare the DP rates and I can see how it came across like that.

I didn’t expect a DP for any of my O-5 PRFs but what bugs me the most is that when I ask for any type of feedback on why I got passed over, all I get from my leadership is, “I don’t know, all boards are different”.

The strats were DO strats. In the 14N world, DOs are boarded positions and I’m not 100% sure that translates to big blue.

Wow.  That sucks dude.  I remember sitting bitch queep work at wing CAG and reviewing the incoming 14N Lt/Jr Capt OPR's with no strats and discussing forcefully with the Sq/CC's they needed to get the good people numbers.  Never got that done.  I've talked with a few 14N Lt Col's afterwards and they all said no one gets strats at that level.

I still don't understand it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

Wow.  That sucks dude.  I remember sitting bitch queep work at wing CAG and reviewing the incoming 14N Lt/Jr Capt OPR's with no strats and discussing forcefully with the Sq/CC's they needed to get the good people numbers.  Never got that done.  I've talked with a few 14N Lt Col's afterwards and they all said no one gets strats at that level.

I still don't understand it.

I actually had an O-6 get visibly upset with me when I asked why I didn’t get a strat after winning FGOY at the A2 level. The A2 took it as me questioning its command decision instead of me asking what else I needed to do to get a strat.

In the 14N community strats are like fight club. They are never spoken of by ratees.

Edited by 14N Guy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any details on any of you getting passed over?  P?  DP?  I'm a 4 APZ with a DP.. 

If you look at the past stats on AFPC, having the DP is what’s important. If your IPZ or 3APZ, doesn’t really matter, just having the DP is vital. Good luck brother
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/5/2018 at 4:01 PM, brickhistory said:

 

Not my place to offer advice, but...

That check of the month club is not something to just write off with 4.5 left.  Hurts now; pays off for a lifetime later (been there, done that).

Not ever a 14N, however, there are lots of either meaningful and/or personally rewarding niche jobs out there for 14Ns.  Worked with 'em lots - Green door stuff, three-letter agencies, etc. that The Man has to fill but doesn't care about.  Get in there or somewhere like that, do a good job, and your post-AF career will take care of itself.  The clearance(s) and contacts are worth $$.  Don't just toss 'em.

This isn't about The Man anymore; this is about you and your family and what is best for them.

If you have post-AF plans/dreams, by all means, disregard all.

If not, set yourself up now for doing well after hanging up the uniform.  Big Blue doesn't care now and won't then.  

Hang tough; it's not personal (however much it feels that way), just numbers on a excel somewhere.

How hard has it been to find Reserve jobs with a steady availability of title 10 orders?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/5/2018 at 8:23 PM, Chicken said:

Any details on any of you getting passed over?  P?  DP?  I'm a 4 APZ with a DP.. 

I'm a 1 APZ passed over with a P.  I was optimistic with so many pilots punching that my chances would be improved for this look...I guess last years 3% promote rate of APZs with a P still holds true. I'm considering reserve transition to get a real chance at O-5.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Ash said:

I'm a 1 APZ passed over with a P.  I was optimistic with so many pilots punching that my chances would be improved for this look...I guess last years 3% promote rate of APZs with a P still holds true. I'm considering reserve transition to get a real chance at O-5.  

Did you do ASBC, then SOS in correspondence, then SOS in residence, then get a Masters, then ACSC in correspondence? 

Or did you just fail a PT test?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IDALPHA said:

Did you do ASBC, then SOS in correspondence, then SOS in residence, then get a Masters, then ACSC in correspondence? 

Or did you just fail a PT test?

 

No ASBC. SOS-C/R, Masters and ACSC-C complete.  Never a failed PT test

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, matmacwc said:

Statistically, you'd be wrong.

I realize that!

  I’ll update you in 1.5 years.  I’ve got 5  Major strats from deployments and wg/gp levels

fgoq x5 so far at different places. 

 Fgoy x1 so far 

perhaps all that matters is what your record looks like as an LT/early Captain....  very possible

Link to comment
Share on other sites


perhaps all that matters is what your record looks like as an LT/early Captain....  very possible


I am very curious to find out what happens to you as I will be in the same situation in a few years. I made O4 as a 1 APZ and my last 3 OPRs are far superior to my first 6. But if LT/early Captain are all that matters I should bounce and not play the game.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bennynova said:

I realize that!

  I’ll update you in 1.5 years.  I’ve got 5  Major strats from deployments and wg/gp levels

fgoq x5 so far at different places. 

 Fgoy x1 so far 

perhaps all that matters is what your record looks like as an LT/early Captain....  very possible

I hope it works out better for you then it did for me. My wins/strats were similar to what you posted, except I had 3 FGOY (Gp/A2 lvl), multiple Gp/A2 quarterlies and one MAJCOM FGOQ.

My Lt/Capt records were all average, no strats/only a couple quarterly awards and no negative indicators. I did have 2 OPRs where I didn't see eye-to-eye with my raters and my push lines were "ready for greater challenges" and "IDE look" (ironically, that same rating chain got me an O-4 PRF DP). I think those two OPRs really damaged my overall record.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, bennynova said:

Wow, thats pretty absurd, 14N

   Af gets it ring quite often though

for every 1 who should make it, there are 5 turds who do make it

I very well could be a turd too. I honestly don’t know if winning awards means anything. I don’t know how the AF considers one set of records to have more leadership potential than another set of records.

I should have done a lot of things differently in my career and I own my mistakes; I just wish somebody would have given me a road map (or I would have figured it out) on what I needed to do to not be in the bottom 30% of my year group at this point in my career. I think that’s what’s going to eat at me for a long time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This all of this is gross.

Pretty sure I was brought to the MLR with a better record than the dude who got a DP.

I got the “if I had one more DP to give” push. I’m not crying in my beer because of that.

However the fact that a dude could be a DO in a boarded position in his community and not get picked up is just beyond me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like lots of us are in the same boat. 

I've had consistent strats since my 2nd OPR, several yearly's, 3 FGOQs up to the 2-star level, 2x DG , was an evaluator, 1500 combat hrs, never bought a checkride downgrade and no PFT busts.  I honestly thought I was squarely in the middle of the bell curve.  I guess I can GTFO, though.. which I will gladly do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seriously, I don't get all this hand-wringing over staying in a career where you're shit on, unappreciated, kept in the dark about your future, and probably being paid half what you're worth

How many times do y'all have to eat shit and ask for seconds before you say enough is enough?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, joe1234 said:

Seriously, I don't get all this hand-wringing over staying in a career where you're shit on, unappreciated, kept in the dark about your future, and probably being paid half what you're worth

How many times do y'all have to eat shit and ask for seconds before you say enough is enough?

I’m gonna keep eating until they give me free money for the rest of my life

 

Pride comes second

Edited by bennynova
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, joe1234 said:

Seriously, I don't get all this hand-wringing over staying in a career where you're shit on, unappreciated, kept in the dark about your future, and probably being paid half what you're worth

How many times do y'all have to eat shit and ask for seconds before you say enough is enough?

Wolves vs sheep.... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/7/2018 at 8:15 PM, MDDieselPilot said:

Sounds like lots of us are in the same boat. 

I've had consistent strats since my 2nd OPR, several yearly's, 3 FGOQs up to the 2-star level, 2x DG , was an evaluator, 1500 combat hrs, never bought a checkride downgrade and no PFT busts.  I honestly thought I was squarely in the middle of the bell curve.  I guess I can GTFO, though.. which I will gladly do.

From what I was told 3+ years ago... not much of that matters to be honest.  The awards should be a mechanism to push you to a senior rater strat.  With no strat they don't mean much by themselves.  The board cares about strats period.  Who they are from.. what kind of strat... etc.  Your flying has little to do with an O5 board.  They care about leadership potential.. so evaluator, combat hours, checkrides... matters for not much for your O5 board.  Not my words.. just what I've been told. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Aren't the HPOs picked pretty much by the time they are senior captains? Seems like if you aren't identified as being on that path, well, awards and strats don't mean really anything at the FGO level.

The AF becomes a little more fun once you've gotten passed over and realize you don't have to play the game any more. Freedom to pursue what you find rewarding/meaningful, especially now when rated manning is in such bad shape.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A lot of people believe getting awards and strats put you on the path to being an HPO. It’s actually the other way around. Being an HPO wins you awards and gets you the killer strats. Unfortunately, there is NOTHING you can do to become an HPO, it is gifted to you and once it is, it basically takes blatant sexual misconduct to pull you off the path.

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Chicken said:

From what I was told 3+ years ago... not much of that matters to be honest.  The awards should be a mechanism to push you to a senior rater strat.  With no strat they don't mean much by themselves.  The board cares about strats period.  Who they are from.. what kind of strat... etc.  Your flying has little to do with an O5 board.  They care about leadership potential.. so evaluator, combat hours, checkrides... matters for not much for your O5 board.  Not my words.. just what I've been told. 

All true, and I agree.  I mention some of that queep for context, not because i thought combat time was going to get me picked up for anything.   I got senior rater (Gp/CC and wg/cc) strats, as either #1 or #2 joint officer the last 3 years leading up to my IPZ PRF.  Apparently something else on my PRF read like a steaming pile of dogsh1t, though.

Anyhow, no one GAF.  just throwing it out there for anyone curious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • M2 locked this topic
  • M2 unlocked this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...