Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

3 hours ago, Duck said:

I know I have to be separated by the last day of the 6th month, but would that be Nov or Dec? Someone told me it would be Nov based off the board being approved by OSD in May, but I thought it was from Notification.

USAF OPS NORMAL - Whichever way is worse for you

• Like 2

New lurker, new poster, trying to help straighten some things out.

AFI 36-3207
3.4. Officers Who Aren't Selected for Promotion. The DOS for officers not selected for promotion for the sec-ond time to the grade of captain, major, or lieutenant colonel normally falls no later than the last day of the 6th calendar month after the month in which the report of the board that considered them is approved. NOTE: This applies to officers twice not selected for promotion and selected for, but who decline, continuation on active duty.
3.4.1. The officers may request an earlier DOS once they know they weren't selected.
3.4.2. The MPF discharges regular officers and releases reserve officers from active duty.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Skitzo said:

I would love to see what percentage of what persons with what sort of adverse information.

DUI / Article 15 as a Lt vs a year prior to the board?

It consistently amazes me the way the USAF talks about needing leaders who can predict 2nd and 3rd order effects vs the decisions that are made. Now, once again because we can’t do that, it erodes the confidence again in the institution.

We could have plainly said 100% promote to O-4 caveat for UIF / derog info.

Wish the aircrew pulse survey was still open. I would cite this.

Fire, Ready, Aim!

Man, Fire, Ready, Aim! doesn't even do it justice.  If they were aiming after firing, I'd expect the next shot to be on target.

It's more like: fire, fire, fire, make a huge show out of adjusting the sights, fire, fire, complain about the target, fire, fire, complain about the equipment, and fire again.

Edited by pawnman
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sooooo... I just got off the phone with Officer Promotions at AFPC and I was not offered continuation. Now I don’t know what’s next. What does that mean other than a mandatory Separation on 30 Nov?

Anyone know how to press to test to see if they are dumb enough to pay me Separation Pay for non-continuation?

46 minutes ago, Duck said:

Sooooo... I just got off the phone with Officer Promotions at AFPC and I was not offered continuation. Now I don’t know what’s next. What does that mean other than a mandatory Separation on 30 Nov?

That means you just won the lottery, congrats. You're now authorized involuntary separation pay. It's a percentage of your base pay, I don't remember if it's 75% or 100%, it should be google-able though. Also I believe you get TAMP (6 months Tricare) for being involuntarily separated too.

3 minutes ago, Duck said:

Anyone know how to press to test to see if they are dumb enough to pay me Separation Pay for non-continuation?

It's federal law, so they'd be wise to pay out.

Edited by Waingro

It's federal law, so they'd be wise to pay out.

The caveat in the regs though is that if you caused your non-selection based on correspondence with the board, you aren’t eligible. My first board, I know that my PRF caused my non-selection, but this last board, it was obviously my letter. I don’t think I’m authorized, but figured since they non-continued me, I would at least try.

The caveat in the regs though is that if you caused your non-selection based on correspondence with the board, you aren’t eligible. My first board, I know that my PRF caused my non-selection, but this last board, it was obviously my letter. I don’t think I’m authorized, but figured since they non-continued me, I would at least try.

If they do pay it in error, they'll come after you later. Not worth it IMHO.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Duck said:

That's interesting. I'd be curious to see in what way they document that fact in your records going forward. Is it noted anywhere that your letter was explicitly what caused your non-selection? If I was in your shoes with $69,000 on the line, I'd at least make DFAS tell you no.

• Like 2

That's interesting. I'd be curious to see in what way they document that fact in your records going forward. Is it noted anywhere that your letter was explicitly what caused your non-selection? If I was in your shoes with $69,000 on the line, I'd at least make DFAS tell you no.

Yeah, that’s what I am wondering. Is it coded a certain way or whatever. If there isn’t a code or it’s not flagged then... worth a try.

Well I got the word from my old boss, which is interesting since I left that org over a month ago.  

EDIT - New boss called t0o.  This was the final requirement for "retiring happy."  It's all gravy from here.

Edited by 17D_guy

Duck, If you draw a guard/reserve retirement and/or any disability they will take the 69k back. Separately, for anyone contemplating Duck’s ADSC Grand Slam strategy I think the move away from PRFs has closed that loophole. I wrote the letter, still got promoted. Maybe others had different results?

• Like 1

Duck - the details will be in your non select paperwork from MPF. 

Also you get six six months of TAMP regardless if you get offered continuation and decline or are not offered it at all. 

Did you get this paperwork on the public release date? I went by our FSS and talked to Promotions and Separations. Both of them acted like they had no clue what I was talking about. It’s almost like no one had ever separated from my base... lol

• M2 locked this topic
  • M2 unlocked this topic