Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

1 hour ago, Dogs-N-Guns said:

Most people I work with expect me to be on the O-6 list this summer. However, I think I am done, enrolled in TAP, planning retirement. Assuming I get selected, would I be an idiot for walking away and retiring at 20?

Every day you show up to work past 20 years, you're working for $60K less since you'd get that $60K in retirement to just have a heart beat.  If you think you might be done, you're probably done. 

Retiring as an O-6 at 30 years just doubled your retirement pay to $120K and you stand a chance to full up retire in your early 50's if you're good with money.  But by then most peoples kids will have moved to college and you'll have missed much of their childhood with queep the boss 'needs tonight'.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Retiring as an O-6 at 30 years just doubled your retirement pay to $120K and you stand a chance to full up retire in your early 50's if you're good with money.  But by then most peoples kids will have moved to college and you'll have missed much of their childhood with queep the boss 'needs tonight'.

That sounds really fatiguing.
  • Haha 1

I’m not an O-6 but I ask that if you stay AD, do it because you enjoy the AD life and will do your best to improve the enterprise. If you are doing it purely for retirement benefits, just move on to the next thing because I’m sure you won’t enjoy it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danger41 said:

I’m not an O-6 but I ask that if you stay AD, do it because you enjoy the AD life and will do your best to improve the enterprise. If you are doing it purely for retirement benefits, just move on to the next thing because I’m sure you won’t enjoy it. 

Definitely don't do it for the retirement benefits. Its chump change compared to what's out there on the outside. Your exit options will be significantly more limited as a 30 year O-6 as well, and you will have only 10-15 years your second career, the one that is going to be significantly more lucrative. 

4 hours ago, Dogs-N-Guns said:

Most people I work with expect me to be on the O-6 list this summer. However, I think I am done, enrolled in TAP, planning retirement. Assuming I get selected, would I be an idiot for walking away and retiring at 20?

I recommend sticking around.  At O-6, you can make changes to better the organization in tangible ways for the future.  Follow your core value of “Service Before Self” and you can never go wrong.

• Haha 11
  • Downvote 1

Your statement “I think I’m done” is telling. If you do make 0-6, life, work and expectations only going to get larger. You’ve punched the golden 20 year ticket, get out and enjoy the next phase of your life.
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Chida said:

Other thing about going for O-6. First you need to compete, then get on the list, then pin-on, then in 3 yrs you can retire (if you’re looking to get the biggest high-36). Total evolution: 4-5 yrs. 

Don't forget they like to PCS O-6's right at 2 years so there is another 2 year ADSC. Hard to cut it to less than 4 years unless you can snag the first assignment overseas then it's only a 1 year commitment to come back stateside.

There are only 3 optimum points to get out:

-the moment your pilot training commitment is up. 

-at exactly 20 years 

-when they kick you out for High year tenure. 

Any other point on the timeline and you’re giving something up. 

Edited by HossHarris
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 4

On 4/20/2023 at 7:48 PM, Dogs-N-Guns said:

I pin on next week. In the 2022 YG, they promoted 307 LAF-A’s, still the largest AFSC group… and I know a solid bakers dozen 11X’s personally that are walking or have walked away right as they pinned on or just prior. And I don’t know that many people! 

As has been said, stay or go, make the choice for YOU. I chose to stay because my wife is still in (ANG), we’ve got young kids who are flexible, my folks are in good health, and there’s command opportunity and the chance to maybe fly again - and I have no desire to be an airline pilot. But I tell you, I’ve never in my time thought about being done as much as I have in the last two years. 

Don’t make a snap decision, but be ready for anything. And if you stay, you’ll be surprised at the opportunity/responsibility thrown your way. 24 years (post group command) is the real cliff in old guy retention… So long as you make the right choice for you and your family, you can’t go wrong. 

Chuck

• Upvote 3

I also never had any desire to be an airline pilot. But when it came time to retire, I realized I had a skill set that the airlines wanted to pay pretty decent money to utilize. And it ain’t just about the money. My life is much happier now without all of the bs while I served. I had a great 29 years but I now realize that life is much better on the outside. I really love my retirement career.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, herkbum said:

I also never had any desire to be an airline pilot. But when it came time to retire, I realized I had a skill set that the airlines wanted to pay pretty decent money to utilize. And it ain’t just about the money. My life is much happier now without all of the bs while I served. I had a great 29 years but I now realize that life is much better on the outside. I really love my retirement career.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Ahem … PART TIME retirement job. 

• Like 4

On 4/21/2023 at 1:20 AM, General Chang said:

I recommend sticking around.  At O-6, you can make changes to better the organization in tangible ways for the future.  Follow your core value of “Service Before Self” and you can never go wrong.

The Chang parody is getting better, but principles are principles...

There are only 3 optimum points to get out:
-the moment your pilot training commitment is up. 

-at exactly 20 years 
-when they kick you out for High year tenure. 

Any other point on the timeline and you’re giving something up. 

I agree, but I would also offer that the something you may be giving up in the Air Force may be of a lesser value.

If you are at this point in your career, you (and your family) have been Service Before Self-ing for a lot of years.

All too often I’ve seen people take that remote or non-optimal assignment in the hopes that the Air Force will take care of them.

Sometimes it works out.

Other times not so much…either they are miserable in the job or their family is miserable because they are separated once again.

By all means please stay if it’s working for you and your family but you have to know when it’s time to fish, cut bait, or get out of the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

On 4/20/2023 at 6:48 PM, Dogs-N-Guns said:

Do you want to be an O-6?  

I'm not being sarcastic, but you really need to look in the mirror first, then at your family and honestly answer that question.  There are pros and cons to pinning on that rank.  What do you value and want?

I’m retiring right at O-6 pin on.  I also was never interested in the airlines, although I’m doing it now.  Turns out it’s better & more interesting than expected, and way better than what I was doing post SQ command.  I have zero regrets.  There was only one job I wanted as an O-6, which I actually landed, but after taking a genuine assessment of the impacts to my family it exceeded their tolerance threshold.  Also it wouldn’t have been as fun in my 40’s as it would have been in my 30’s.  I know that’s vague, sorry, but hope it helps.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, FourFans said:

All you people talking about pinning on O-6...you guys are F'in old.

No, what makes me feel f'in old is a 2d Lt I sponsored onto active duty when I was a captain is now a Lt Gen... 😮

Luckily, I look 10-15 years younger than I am!

going-for-me-which-is-nice.gif

• Like 1

Look folks, if all the good apples leave the service, where will we be when China invades Taiwan?  I applaud those sticking around who will insert themselves “into the breach” with me as front-line O-6s in WestPac as we beat back communist aggression for the next decade.  Absolutely it’s “Service Before Self.”  We will have a lot of good men and women making the ultimate sacrifice soon.  Man-up and step into the breach.

• Haha 5
  • Downvote 2

Chang, “service before self” doesn’t mean masturbation, I think your mixing up your terms.

But to play along with your delusion, yes, I’m servicing myself quite regularly. I appreciate you always checking up on the troops’ health & wellness sir 🫡🇺🇸

5 hours ago, General Chang said:

Look folks, if all the good apples leave the service, where will we be when China invades Taiwan?  I applaud those sticking around who will insert themselves “into the breach” with me as front-line O-6s in WestPac as we beat back communist aggression for the next decade.  Absolutely it’s “Service Before Self.”  We will have a lot of good men and women making the ultimate sacrifice soon.  Man-up and step into the breach.

Does this beautification project count?

image.thumb.png.bbaae5eedd7fc38b5b7ae169cae55fb7.png

6 hours ago, General Chang said:

If they really need me, they can call up the retired reserve.  I've got my kit cleaned and stored in easy reach.  We kept the wolf on his side of the fence during my 20 years.  Someone else's turn now.  For the present, I've put an end of the USAF stepping into MY breach. 

5 hours ago, nsplayr said:

Chang, “service before self” doesn’t mean masturbation, I think your mixing up your terms.

He said "step into the breach."   That can't be masturbation...can it?

Edited by FourFans
  • Upvote 1