Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

5 hours ago, Shakermaker said:

My understanding is you are not responsible to pay back any un-earned bonus payments in this situation.  I would call the AvB office though and give them your specific situation and they will be able to advise you with the most current guidance.

You are correct, with a small caveat. I just spoke with the office. Her response:  “If you are twice passed over, and have already received your annual payment, there will be no recoupment of the unearned portion IF you separate on the MSD established by the board. Her understanding is if I elect to retire 1ish month after the board results, I would require a SAF waiver

When I was passed over the first time there was a doc on MyPERs that stated that certain AFSCs are in high demand and will be given continuation. So if you’re worried I’d try to find that doc for a warm fuzzy. I think it’s in the promotion section.

I’m not a fan of how the AF doesn’t give you continuation until the second time you’re passed over as it puts you in limbo for a year or so. With that said IF you do get passed over again AND not offered continuation I think you should be able to piece together an AD retirement in the guard/reserves as you only will have 2.5 years to go… someone please correct me if I’m wrong. 

Edited by Lifer

22 hours ago, Lifer said:

When I was passed over the first time there was a doc on MyPERs that stated that certain AFSCs are in high demand and will be given continuation. So if you’re worried I’d try to find that doc for a warm fuzzy. I think it’s in the promotion section.

I’m not a fan of how the AF doesn’t give you continuation until the second time you’re passed over as it puts you in limbo for a year or so. With that said IF you do get passed over again AND not offered continuation I think you should be able to piece together an AD retirement in the guard/reserves as you only will have 2.5 years to go… someone please correct me if I’m wrong. 

After doing the math, I SHOULD be good for sanctuary. If the board meets for APZ for me next year in March and results come out around July or August, and then I add 6 months to that, I will be within 2 years of retirement. 

All that said I've started grinding away on ACSC. Maybe the board's thoughts on APZ next year won't be so negative and the short tour I'm doing will be seen as valuable or at least enough so to warrant promotion. Thing is, this job is actually fairly busy so it's not like I just sit a desk all day, I actually gotta work a bit. I think I can finish ACSC in 6 months if I put in full weekends and some after work time. It is more to show the board that I'm not giving the AF the middle finger by ignoring ACSC even if they choose not to promote me.   

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Slow-Smooth-Fast said:

Selective continuation board details posted yesterday for CY22B Major LAF-A,F,I,N,X and CY22B Captain LAF-J.... does not list any Critical AFSCs like previous years.... something to read into there?

Yes

• Haha 1

Selective continuation board details posted yesterday for CY22B Major LAF-A,F,I,N,X and CY22B Captain LAF-J.... does not list any Critical AFSCs like previous years.... something to read into there?

IIRC, I don’t think they did for CY21 LtCol either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found the attached on AFPC's public website as I was trying to find some info for a mentee (not related to promotion non-selection, thankfully). There are a handful of helpful inputs; however, this document contradicts itself many times and may reflect what's wrong with the Air Force. 

I especially take umbrage with the part mentioning that officers should advocate for themselves to receive strats, awards, or be pushed for jobs. AFPC thinks it is wrong for officers to believe the system will take care of them. In one sense, they are correct. A system cannot take of someone, but leaders can. I don't think it's too much to expect leaders to build, teach, or lead those in their charge. 

Take a look. I'm interested to see what others think.

OfficerPromo_LLs.pdf

Edited by Muscle2002
Additional thoughts on AFPC's "Lessons Learned"
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, Muscle2002 said:

I found the attached on AFPC's public website as I was trying to find some info for a mentee (not related to promotion non-selection, thankfully). There are a handful of helpful inputs; however, this document contradicts itself many times and may reflect what's wrong with the Air Force. 

I especially take umbrage with the part mentioning that officers should advocate for themselves to receive strats, awards, or be pushed for jobs. 

OfficerPromo_LLs.pdf 127.53 kB · 5 downloads

Conspicuously absent from that document is literally anything about primary job performance. 

Basically if you want to get promoted, know how to make yourself look as good as possible on paper:

strats

additional duties

awards

squadron/group positions in the immediate orbit of the commander

and don't you dare fuck up the formatting 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

So many gems in that doc, it's hard to pic just one.  Although I enjoy the reference to the "rhythm" of Air Force life.

Link for the doc on the AFPC site.  

Many excellent Captains became anonymous Majors--especially in 2nd tier staff roles and those outside the rhythm of Air Force life (no quarterly, annual, AFSC-specific awards).

On 4/13/2022 at 5:18 PM, Blue said:

So many gems in that doc, it's hard to pic just one.  Although I enjoy the reference to the "rhythm" of Air Force life.

Link for the doc on the AFPC site.  

Hilarious, because when I was passed over on my IPZ look to Lt Col, they told me it was because I didn't have any of those 2nd tier staff jobs...

Edited by pawnman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Muscle2002 said:

I'm gonna be petty and judge individuals. 

If you look in the properties of that linked .pdf, it shows the author.  If you look up the author in Linkedin, you see someone who was probably successful based on all of the things outlined in that doc (additional duties, awards, and I counted three Masters Degrees).

It's all so very bizarre.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 3:18 PM, Blue said:

Many excellent Captains became anonymous Majors--especially in 2nd tier staff roles and those outside the rhythm of Air Force life (no quarterly, annual, AFSC-specific awards).

So what the heck is a 2nd tier staff job and how do I sign up for this anonymous major thing?

• Upvote 1

On 4/14/2022 at 5:30 PM, artvandelay43201 said:

Heard the same (~22 Apr)

20th is a no go. Let's see about the 22nd.

MyPers shows that the board still hasn't been received by the Office of the Sec Def.

It's going to be freaking June before this thing comes out. Bureaucracy is extremely frustrating. 

Just now, BrightNeptune said:

It's going to be freaking June before this thing comes out. Bureaucracy is extremely frustrating. 

For the life of me, I do not understand why it takes 3+ months from the time a board concludes to the time the results are published. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, 08Dawg said:

For the life of me, I do not understand why it takes 3+ months from the time a board concludes to the time the results are published. 

In 2020 the results came out in February. The board adjourned on 14 Dec. It is now 20 Apr. That is 4+ months. 127 days. 

It is almost like everyone up and down the chain has an incentive to make the process take forever so it looks like they're busy. 

Edited by BrightNeptune

6 hours ago, 08Dawg said:

The board results need Congressional confirmation. 3 months are rookie numbers for Congress!

9 hours ago, frog said:

The board results need Congressional confirmation. 3 months are rookie numbers for Congress!

My airline buddies say their jobs yield the most amount of money for the least amount of work.  Wrong!…we found the actual winners. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2