Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

20 hours ago, ThreeHoler said:

10:1 I’m passed over.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

shit dude, hopefully thats not the case. Promotion rates are pretty high for this year. And you dont have to compete against below-the-zone folks. Less people to worry about. I think you'll be ok unless your PRF said something like... "nice guy, good worker, on track for DO"

18 hours ago, pawnman said:

I ain't shy.  The whole forum knows what happened to me last time.  Including what my PRF said.

that sucks man. I just saw. 1 APZ with a P right? What level are you at, above or below the wing?  If you met the board as a 1apz with a P and your at a squadron lvl then chances are pretty slim. But if you're at a MAJCOM and got a decent last line then you have a chance. My buddy got it last year and he also had a P. 

On 8/28/2020 at 7:01 PM, BKANO said:

ok so..... who is bold enough to come on here and post their results.... whichever way it goes?

I’m confident that I did not get picked up as a 3APZ with a P. At least I think I’m 3APZ. Either way, it doesn’t matter. No way I got picked up. I will come back and confirm whenever the results are released though.

Here's my bottom-line:

#1/1 eligible; excelling at national agcy...highly trusted, combrat proven leader we need as an O-5--Definitely Promote

At least I got a #1 strat!

Edited by 14N Guy

18 hours ago, BKANO said:

that sucks man. I just saw. 1 APZ with a P right? What level are you at, above or below the wing?  If you met the board as a 1apz with a P and your at a squadron lvl then chances are pretty slim. But if you're at a MAJCOM and got a decent last line then you have a chance. My buddy got it last year and he also had a P. 

I met the board as the Deputy IG, so at the Wing, with a P.  5/10 eligibles.  I made my peace with being a major for the rest of my career soon after I got passed over the first time.  I am definitely not in the 1% of people who are going to get promoted APZ with a P.

I got a nice assignment now...that's all I can ask for.  I can be done volunteering for one-off projects and additional duties trying to earn a strat...just do my job, to the best of my ability, and let the young'uns knife fight over strats.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

On 8/30/2020 at 10:16 AM, pawnman said:

I met the board as the Deputy IG, so at the Wing, with a P.  5/10 eligibles.  I made my peace with being a major for the rest of my career soon after I got passed over the first time.  I am definitely not in the 1% of people who are going to get promoted APZ with a P.

I got a nice assignment now...that's all I can ask for.  I can be done volunteering for one-off projects and additional duties trying to earn a strat...just do my job, to the best of my ability, and let the young'uns knife fight over strats.

Let us know how the next, "You could do so much better with more pieces of flair" initial/mid-term feedback goes.

On 8/29/2020 at 7:28 PM, 14N Guy said:

I’m confident that I did not get picked up as a 3APZ with a P. At least I think I’m 3APZ. Either way, it doesn’t matter. No way I got picked up. I will come back and confirm whenever the results are released though.

Here's my bottom-line:

#1/1 eligible; excelling at national agcy...highly trusted, combrat proven leader we need as an O-5--Definitely Promote

At least I got a #1 strat!

dude thats crazy, they actually wrote one of one? i think you learn not to do that in SOS. did they include the "Combrat" typo in there as well or was that just a typo for you? 

On 8/30/2020 at 9:16 AM, pawnman said:

I think a nice assignment kind-of makes it easier to accept. By that point you really dont care about OPRs and strats anymore. We have about 5 guys in my org that were passed over and are just focused on the next "post-AF" job. 

I think its unfortunate that the majority of leadership doesn't give honest feedback. Knowing what your chances are and that you are not on the "leadership" vector early helps you make better decisions for you and your family. 

4 hours ago, VariEze said:

Ha haaa he said “feedback”. I think that’s the thing on your OPR where you just pick a random date and put it in the blank while you’re writing it for yourself....

Check sarcasm detector! 😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BKANO said:

I think a nice assignment kind-of makes it easier to accept. By that point you really dont care about OPRs and strats anymore. We have about 5 guys in my org that were passed over and are just focused on the next "post-AF" job. 

I think its unfortunate that the majority of leadership doesn't give honest feedback. Knowing what your chances are and that you are not on the "leadership" vector early helps you make better decisions for you and your family. 

While I was AD still (about 31 days ago) cyber/comm had started to push along these lines, but seems to have stalled.  Each DT 2 (or 4, can't remember) Year Groups would have their records gone through and be ranked top/middle/bottom.  It would also include generic vectors/advice for career improvement.  The sig block would also indicate which group your packages were evaluated by so you could (theoretically) call one of the Col's up for feedback.  Any of you guys have this?  I'd be shocked if it was my AFSC only.

It was a good start to getting the career-feedback process right, because Sq/CC's seem to know fuck-all about it unless they're a 3%'er.  My first 3 Sq/CC's did, and it led to me planning, and pushing correctly (plus coattails).  I've had 1 that didn't, and their guidance sucked (along with their general CC abilities).

Because I knew that placement (top 3rd), had feedback from my boss (Lt Col) and his boss (Col), I knew what was the likely outcome for the next 5 years.  It didn't work for my family, and I punched.  Dream was to be a Sq/CC, got to be a DO...it's ok!  AF changed their promotion timelines, and I didn't want to be exiting service at 45-yrs-old coming off my first command tour (maybe).  OODA looped my future, and the outside world is so nice.

Telling someone they suck is easy; telling them why and how to improve it for a future career in the USAF is challenging since things keep changing.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, pawnman said:

I've heard of DT boards, but I've never gotten any kind of feedback from one about where my records stood or what I could do to improve.

oh, you mean writing "MAJCOM" on some obscure link on AMS in 8 pt font wasn't the feedback you were looking for? /sarcasm 😂

btw, that was also all the feedback about where I stood that I ever got as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/1/2020 at 11:59 AM, BKANO said:

dude thats crazy, they actually wrote one of one? i think you learn not to do that in SOS. did they include the "Combrat" typo in there as well or was that just a typo for you? 

I want to say that’s my typo, but I don’t have my PRF with me at home to verify.

21 minutes ago, bennynova said:

I was 100% 1/1 eligibles on my bottom line.    Then 2/7 overall majors....  the #1 in that instance is a Lt Col (s) waiting time pin on.     Lucky me.     

This is bothersome.  They should've given you the #1 and gotten creative with the Lt Col (s)'s strat since it was of no importance to him and great importance to you.  EVERY command I have been a part of would've done this. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, celtic020 said:

This is bothersome.  They should've given you the #1 and gotten creative with the Lt Col (s)'s strat since it was of no importance to him and great importance to you.  EVERY command I have been a part of would've done this. 

Everyone I have been apart of does it like you say too.  Except my current senior Military O6  

13 hours ago, bennynova said:

Everyone I have been apart of does it like you say too.  Except my current senior Military O6  

Yikes. Id take them the AFI - it specifically addresses this in discussing stratification.
Then at least your O6 has to look you in the eye and tell you that they knowingly ranked you #2 behind a guy that’s already being promoted. 

Chuck

One of mine got a surprisingly negative DT feedback (bottom 1/3 language, although they don't come out and say it).  Had a ~20% O-6 primary strat out of previous assignment, so a surprise to both of us (expecting center-of-mass).  AFPC reaching straight to the officer with a shit sandwich like that sucks.  I realize some leaders are incapable of legit feedback, but damn at least give us a few days advanced notice.

Does anyone have info about the 5 year promotion zone for Lt Col?  By my calculations, a Major is in sanctuary after the fifth look which means they no longer have to be continued if not promotion eligible.  I assumed that AFPC was getting their shit in one sock and would publish more guidance but I haven't heard much about it since it was announced a while back.

Does anyone have info about the 5 year promotion zone for Lt Col?  By my calculations, a Major is in sanctuary after the fifth look which means they no longer have to be continued if not promotion eligible.  I assumed that AFPC was getting their shit in one sock and would publish more guidance but I haven't heard much about it since it was announced a while back.

Confused. If you’re in sanctuary, why would you need continuation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, CaptainMorgan said:

Confused. If you’re in sanctuary, why would you need continuation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's my point.  It seems like they do not intend to involuntarily separate majors anymore but I am wondering if I am missing something.