Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

15 hours ago, celtic020 said:

Non-concur.  I was a P on my major PRF, no SOS DG (or any DG), not a school select off my O-4 board and in my third look for school I got selected for CGSC and heading to my 1BPZ O-5 board with a DP.  The first change CSAF made for IDE selection directly helped me by elimating school selects off the O-4 board and broadening the candidate pool (not sure about this recent DA change though).   Of course, there are still made guys who are on the way to multiple BPZ promotions, command and in-res school programs...but I'd like to think this track starts around year 12 or 13 now instead of year 7 or 8.    I'd also like to think its highly possible, if not highly probable, that a lot of those made guys are actually really solid....of course a few douche canoes get through....would be the case in any system in any org.  

I think you're overly optimistic about the timeline.  I'll have 14 years in June.  I'm past my third look for school (happened last year) and this year is my IPZ to Lt Col.  If guys are going to get multiple BPZ promotions and in-res school slots, it's going to have to start NLT year 10.

• Like 1

Seems that way.  I totally get working staff prior to going back to command an ops unit, but I have a hard time seeing value added in ACSC besides the box to check.
Any IDE grads on here care to share whether it was actually valuable for your leadership development and career beyond the checked box?

I was a third look non select picked up off the alternate list. Lucked out and went to joint school (NIU).

It was a great year and I learned a ton about how the IC works, visited pretty much all the three-letters and had a fairly diverse class to include all the services (including Coasties), and folks from most of the IC agencies.

The degree was a cross between generic leadership training, IC specific classes, and a poly sci masters. Lots of reading and writing. Thesis over 100 pages and required 80% of the writing done in the SCIF, although it is entirely possible to write an unclass thesis.

Still, I worked about 3.5 days a week and had a very generous leave/VOCO policy. Definitely a break from squadron ops.

Still, nothing there “prepped” me for command (and certainly no guarantee of getting one). I did make some good contacts which may or may not help me later on.

I don’t think IDE is built around making someone a better candidate for flying sq command. It’s more helpful for learning some doctrine and how staff jobs are organized. Still won’t make you a staff genius since that’s all built around relationships and working with people.

TLDR: Fun year, nice break from the ops world, and some cool experiences outside of the USAF bubble, but should not be a pre req for command in the flying community.

Went to CGSC...took away a couple of nuggets that have really helped me understand my successive Joint (spelled A-R-M-Y) assignments But overall a huge waste of time, although the DLI program, the electives and the SOF branch-off after holiday break were pretty good. In-Res IDE might put you in the ballpark (on someone's command list) for SQ/CC but no guarantees. I was a draft pick to be named later so I went out and found myself a job. 

Just remember, there is no "ONE" path and timing is everything (Life Rule #1).

Cooter

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

The MyPers board status states current as of 29 March, with the O-5 board still not showing as adjourned.  Longest board ever? 

Perhaps due to all the additional exercises they’re doing based of the Corona decisions...

zb

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:17 PM, dream big said:

Seems that way.  I totally get working staff prior to going back to command an ops unit, but I have a hard time seeing value added in ACSC besides the box to check.

Any IDE grads on here care to share whether it was actually valuable for your leadership development and career beyond the checked box?

ACSC was not useful for improving leadership skills.  However, ten months of being on the golf course by 11:30 was not a bad gig.  SAMS is a completely different story - I thought it was a great program for developing officers who would command squadrons and battalions.

Anyone have any insight into the IDE nomination procedure? I had heard that either you get nominated on your first look (fast burner) or third look (any other nom), but the second look was pretty much a throwaway. Any truth to that?

23 minutes ago, MechGov said:

Anyone have any insight into the IDE nomination procedure? I had heard that either you get nominated on your first look (fast burner) or third look (any other nom), but the second look was pretty much a throwaway. Any truth to that?

A bit.  It's luck and timing, performance, and who you know (how close you are to your senior rater).  Fast burners that don't get picked up or nominated on first look for whatever reason are likely to get nom'ed second, and if not then, due to timing or other factors, then will get pushed hard on third look.

On 4/1/2019 at 6:10 PM, zach braff said:

The MyPers board status states current as of 29 March, with the O-5 board still not showing as adjourned.  Longest board ever? 

Perhaps due to all the additional exercises they’re doing based of the Corona decisions...

zb

Anymore intel on what took them so long?

I didn’t even see my PRF until April. Not sure if that’s because I had PCSd and the execs had overlooked sending it to me, or if the entire process was delayed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/18/2019 at 9:50 PM, ihtfp06 said:

I didn’t even see my PRF until April. Not sure if that’s because I had PCSd and the execs had overlooked sending it to me, or if the entire process was delayed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like a douchebag because I kind of chuckled at my CC. My boss thinks I will be promoted. She didn't see my final PRF, but asked would I still retire when (not if) promoted. I told her I'm pulling chocks. Not sure if the Wing King or someone at NAF suggested they remove the awards line in my PRF and insert killing more bad guys of an HVI level. 

Wing King asked me when I would be doing ACSC. I reluctantly shook my head at him. He said it's okay, you can tell me the truth. I told him I'm not doing it. It felt damn good to say it. Like you are walking out on top.

With no ACSC, I expected a "P" and that is what I received in my small Wing. I'm the only FGO going up for promotion. If they promote a guy with a clean record, DG, and some #1 CGO/FGO strats, then I want the board to report for mandatory (DDRP) drug testing.

Edited by Shazaam
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 4/18/2019 at 11:58 AM, Shazaam said:

It's been updated since.  Board adjourned 22 March I think, so about three weeks.  Two weeks is the average so with some of the new guidance/experiments three weeks checks.  I'll bet it takes a bit longer for release tho - my guess is late July/early August. 

zb

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Shazaam said:

I feel like a douchebag because I kind of chuckled at my CC. My boss thinks I will be promoted. She didn't see my final PRF. Not sure if the Wing King or someone at NAF suggested they remove my awards line and insert killing more bad guys of an HVI group level.

Wing King asked me when I would be doing ACSC. I reluctantly shook my head at him. He said it's okay, you can tell me the truth. I told him I'm not doing it. It felt good to say it.

With no ACSC, I expected a "P" and that is what I received in my small Wing. Only FGO going up for promotion. If they promote a guy with a clean record, DG, and some #1 CGO/FGO strats, then I want the board to report for mandatory (DDRP) drug testing.

ACSC is useless. Good for you. I had the same conversation prior to my PRF being submitted. Also sent up with a P. 

Edited by IDALPHA
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, IDALPHA said:

ACSC is useless. Good for you. I had the same conversation prior to my PRF being submitted. Also sent up with a P. 

And here my WG/CC removed/consolidated flying numbers to cram more awards and strats in.

I agree that ACSC is useless, but I'm one of the (apparently) few on this site looking to get promoted, so I did it anyway.  

On 4/19/2019 at 9:34 AM, pawnman said:

I agree that ACSC is useless, but I'm one of the (apparently) few on this site looking to get promoted, so I did it anyway.  

You’re not the only one trying to get promoted. This place is like 21 Jump Street where Channing Tatum’s character laughs and says “he’s trying, what a nerd!” Do what you gotta do and set yourself up for success.

Personal note: There’s no way I’m doing ACSC in correspondence. Or residence either, for that matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Danger41 said:

You’re not the only one trying to get promoted. This place is like 21 Jump Street where Channing Tatum’s character laughs and says “he’s trying, what a nerd!” Do what you gotta do and set yourself up for success.

Personal note: There’s no way I’m doing ACSC in correspondence. Or residence either, for that matter.

I get what you are saying.... but i don’t think it’s because we think ACSC (or trying) is uncool....    I think the system is broken....and people who don’t get promoted sometimes are better than some that are promoted.

We do like to complain as a whole 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bennynova said:

I get what you are saying.... but i don’t think it’s because we think ACSC (or trying) is uncool....    I think the system is broken....and people who don’t get promoted sometimes are better than some that are promoted.

Using a ballwash online course to determine who gets the nod for promotion is a perfect representation of what’s broken. That’s the point. Not complaint.

That said, if you’re a bonus takier, prior E locked to 20, or a non pilot I understand greasing the skids to get that pay bump. 

Edited by IDALPHA
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bennynova said:

We have some damn good flyers that are really intelligent and great leaders. Smart enough to know you don't have to do ACSC, yet you can become a civilian and thrive. People will actually listen to your ideas in the civilian job sector and not focus on rudimentary s$#@t like uniforms.

Our personalities and ability to lead gives us a great advantage over civilians. Everyone has value, don't let someone make you think a silver oak leaf matters in the end. We will all retire someday. Once you retire, you will be just like every other civilian and that silver oak leaf or title of Lt Col won't matter to anyone but you. You will still have to wait in line like everyone else at the Commissary, Walmart, and Target. No rock star parking for you.

Edited by Shazaam
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Shazaam said:

We have some damn good flyers that are really intelligent and great leaders. Smart enough to know you don't have to do ACSC, yet you can become a civilian and thrive. People will actually listen to your ideas in the civilian job sector and not focus on uniforms.

Our personalities and ability to lead gives us a great advantage over civilians. Everyone has value, don't let someone make you think a silver oak leaf matters. We will all retire someday. Once you retire, you will be just like everyone else and that oak leaf or title won't matter to anyone but you. You will still have to wait in line like everyone else at the commissary, Walmart, and Target. 

It's not about the color of the oak leaves.  It's about the extra $5k a year in retirement pay.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1