Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

15 hours ago, Homestar said:

if a guy goes from BPZ DP to IPZ P something has happened. Either the individual’s record changed significantly or a bunch of rock stars moved in during the year. 

Or, which happened to I, back in the day I had plans outside the organization, was leaving in 3 months, and a new Sq/CC, Gp/CC, and Wg/CC had just arrived. Despite doing some of the best work I’d ever done and working my tail off to keep things afloat for the new CC, my ranking went down and I lost a strong push I’d had the previous year.

Sq/CC’s explanation? “You don’t need it. You’re heading down a different path now.” Referring to my school selection and PCS out of his org. Reiterated by Wg Execs.

On top of that, we had a terrible new control freak Chief Exec who was the perfect combo of, “You shouldn’t write your own OPR,” and, “I’ve never written an OPR before.” So we had that expert writing my OPR and PRF for the CC and heismaning all my efforts to help him.

So just pointing out that 💩 happens.

✈️

14 minutes ago, Klepto said:

Or, which happened to I, back in the day I had plans outside the organization, was leaving in 3 months, and a new Sq/CC, Gp/CC, and Wg/CC had just arrived. Despite doing some of the best work I’d ever done and working my tail off to keep things afloat for the new CC, my ranking went down and I lost a strong push I’d had the previous year.

Sq/CC’s explanation? “You don’t need it. You’re heading down a different path now.” Referring to my school selection and PCS out of his org. Reiterated by Wg Execs.

On top of that, we had a terrible new control freak Chief Exec who was the perfect combo of, “You shouldn’t write your own OPR,” and, “I’ve never written an OPR before.” So we had that expert writing my OPR and PRF for the CC and heismaning all my efforts to help him.

So just pointing out that 💩 happens.

✈️

Brutal confluence of events but I could totally see it -- you need some senior rater luck in this game.  I'm off to school this summer with a DP 1-below and I'm fully anticipating a P out of the school MLR next year IPZ but whatevs.   I'm just hoping by virtue of being in school during IPZ that I'll have a good chance.  But hearing this story stings!   

Brutal confluence of events but I could totally see it -- you need some senior rater luck in this game.  I'm off to school this summer with a DP 1-below and I'm fully anticipating a P out of the school MLR next year IPZ but whatevs.   I'm just hoping by virtue of being in school during IPZ that I'll have a good chance.  But hearing this story stings!   

How many people have you ever heard of getting passed over for promotion while attending or having finished in-res IDE?
  • Downvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
Saw an email that said for the upcoming O-5 board, it’s an 85% promotion opportunity. 

Great. They really need to just break pilots out of the LAF for promotion purposes. This is just Fingers not willing to publicly acknowledge that we need to retain pilots. Everybody is a warrior!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

Great. They really need to just break pilots out of the LAF for promotion purposes. 

TTX for this is going on now at Randolph. Expect table slap at Fall Corona if it all goes well. The Army’s figured it out, can’t be that hard.

Also two line PRFs.  #execLove

Chuck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Chuck17 said:

TTX for this is going on now at Randolph. Expect table slap at Fall Corona if it all goes well. The Army’s figured it out, can’t be that hard.

Also two line PRFs.  #execLove

Chuck

Absolutely agree we need to break our operators from support in terms of determining promotion. It’s ridiculous to expect a finance/contracting officer to understand the nuances of growing up in ops and vice versa. 

With regard to 2 line prfs, the usaf already has a hard time getting it right when it comes to understanding an officer’s pedigree in 9 lines.  With only 2 lines, we might as well only promote wing execs, aide de camps and the like.  

3 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

Absolutely agree we need to break our operators from support in terms of determining promotion. It’s ridiculous to expect a finance/contracting officer to understand the nuances of growing up in ops and vice versa. 

With regard to 2 line prfs, the usaf already has a hard time getting it right when it comes to understanding an officer’s pedigree in 9 lines.  With only 2 lines, we might as well only promote wing execs, aide de camps and the like.  

It's not only the nuances.  It's the fact that in many support jobs, just staying in long enough to hit a 1 BPZ or IPZ board is enough to get squadron command.  Then we rack-and-stack pilots who are flight commanders or ADOs against support officers in command and wonder why the aviator promotion rates lag the support officer promotion rates.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Saw an email that said for the upcoming O-5 board, it’s an 85% promotion opportunity. 
Pretty sure that's what it's been for the last several years. Remember, that doesn't mean they'll promote 85% of IPZ. It means the total number of people they'll promote is 85% of the number of IPZ, but the BPZ and APZ folks eat into that.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Great. They really need to just break pilots out of the LAF for promotion purposes. This is just Fingers not willing to publicly acknowledge that we need to retain pilots. Everybody is a warrior!

Saw traffic that I think they are doing a mock board just like this along with the real board to see how this would turn out before executing. Smart move for once. Testing before executing and all.

On 2/28/2019 at 11:52 AM, bennynova said:

Yeah, it’s not far off from the norm

where does this email come from?

Buddy going up for his 1APZ board showed it to a couple of us. Didn’t see where it came from. My sq/cc said he’d seen the same thing, too. 

On 2/28/2019 at 9:49 AM, olevelo said:

Pretty sure that's what it's been for the last several years. Remember, that doesn't mean they'll promote 85% of IPZ. It means the total number of people they'll promote is 85% of the number of IPZ, but the BPZ and APZ folks eat into that.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

+1 on this. Historical averages have been similar to this. If you’re in the zone with a DP it’s about 99% promote rate. IPZ with a P is about 45%. APZ with a P is less than 4%. 

On 2/28/2019 at 5:48 PM, Skitzo said:

Saw traffic that I think they are doing a mock board just like this along with the real board to see how this would turn out before executing. Smart move for once. Testing before executing and all.

Are you talking about the MLR? Wing commanders have been coming together for years to stage a mock board at the MLR.

7 hours ago, Ash said:

Are you talking about the MLR? Wing commanders have been coming together for years to stage a mock board at the MLR.

I corroborate his hearsay, its not the MLR nor for the MLR's function. Instead to gather empirical data of new vs old way of PRFs against two promotion boards. Senior leaders needs data before a decision to make PRFs much shorter...

9 hours ago, Swizzle said:

I corroborate his hearsay, its not the MLR nor for the MLR's function. Instead to gather empirical data of new vs old way of PRFs against two promotion boards. Senior leaders needs data before a decision to make PRFs much shorter...

I think he’s actually referring to the mock board for competitive categories, i.e. aviators only competing against aviators for promotion.

2 minutes ago, Klepto said:

I think he’s actually referring to the mock board for competitive categories, i.e. aviators only competing against aviators for promotion.

I've heard they want to do that too before seperating the LAF into functional fields promotion categories.

Which if they did that... How would the institutional job requirements (i.e. school instructors, Recruiters, etc.) be promoted? And against who? I believe they'd be short-changed and even worse off than before. If communities don't value institutional positions now, what would seperating them out do!?!  Or would they fight over a promotion aggregate like an AF MLR notion?

8 hours ago, Swizzle said:

Which if they did that... How would the institutional job requirements (i.e. school instructors, Recruiters, etc.) be promoted? And against who? I believe they'd be short-changed and even worse off than before.

Yep. Probably.

The pendulum swings yet again.