Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

2 hours ago, soupafly06 said:

Promotion stats are out on AFPC.  IPZ and APZ select rates with a P went down while BPZ rates went up.  Good news for HPOs but sucks for the rest of us working stiffs.

Link? I don't see it posted on www.afpc.af.mil

Or do you mean on RAW?

Edited by Swizzle

1 hour ago, MDDieselPilot said:

How big a deal is that waiver? I'm guessing if a unit really wants you it makes the waiver less of an issue..

As of last August (2017), that waiver is only required by the Guard, not reserve. 

I’m told difficulty to get it depends more on cost of training and benefit to the unit, ie do they have to pay for a full qualification in a new jet v current and qualified, are you filling a full time v traditional slot, how many years do they see you working in the unit. 

The concern is that you’ll transition, then get passed over again twice and now you’re out of the guard/ reserve too. Unless something unforeseable like a pilot shortage or something happens...

The retirement gouge is wrong. If you're a guy with a commissioning date before 06 You re a legacy guy, you don't get forced into BRS. that initial entry into military date doesn't change with a break in service. The only guys affected are those who had the choice to opt in, did so, then left the military. With a break in service you don't get a do over on the opt in if you decide to come back. You re auto enrolled. If you never did enroll, you don't get auto enrolled even as a post 06 guy. Only initial entry guys of 18 and beyond are. 

• Upvote 2

Sorry for bad gouge but yeah it's available in RAW.

I was going to ask the same thing. Can someone take screenshots or something? I don’t have NIPR access for the next 3 years, and RAW isn’t available on the neutered AFPC Secure. I could always ask someone else to email it but figure there’s a bunch of other folks on here who would like to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the “good records” of APZ (multiples years worth) were promoted last year, so I’d expect it to go down some.   

True. But you still have the problem of the SR’s who still think APZ’s can’t be promoted so they don’t give them any push at all.

Scrolled=get your name on the list (scroll) that goes to Congress for Reserve commission approval.

It used to be that the MPF would just give you a reserve commission based on converting your Regular commission, if you had one, or if not, then you obviously were a reserve officer on EAD and thus already had a reserve commission. Around the 2006 timeframe, all officers on EAD had their commissions converted from reserve to regular. And then the SECDEF came out with a policy that Regular officers had to get congressional approval to pick up a reserve commission if they transfer from the Active component to a Reserve component.

Congress signs the scroll every quarter. So you need to get with an in-service reserve or guard recruiter to get your name on the scroll as soon as possible because it could take ~4 months for you to be approved for a reserve commission. I don't know how long the scroll is valid, but that should be step 1 for anyone who is about to separate. Once you are scrolled, you can separate and activate your reserve commission the next day and thus have no break in service.

Why do you care about avoiding a break in service? The main reason for a 2x passed over regular officer is promotion. The rules state that to meet a board, you must have at least 1 year of continuous service (regular list and reserve active status list). So if you have a break in service when you switch to ARC, you will not meet the next promotion board in the ARC which occurs in the following year, which means your board will be your 2nd year in the reserve (because you will then have had 1 year of continuous service on the reserve active status list).

BLAB (bottom line at the bottom): scroll now or you will get less money.

29 minutes ago, Chida said:

Scrolled=get your name on the list (scroll) that goes to Congress for Reserve commission approval.

It used to be that the MPF would just give you a reserve commission based on converting your Regular commission, if you had one, or if not, then you obviously were a reserve officer on EAD and thus already had a reserve commission. Around the 2006 timeframe, all officers on EAD had their commissions converted from reserve to regular. And then the SECDEF came out with a policy that Regular officers had to get congressional approval to pick up a reserve commission if they transfer from the Active component to a Reserve component.

Congress signs the scroll every quarter. So you need to get with an in-service reserve or guard recruiter to get your name on the scroll as soon as possible because it could take ~4 months for you to be approved for a reserve commission. I don't know how long the scroll is valid, but that should be step 1 for anyone who is about to separate. Once you are scrolled, you can separate and activate your reserve commission the next day and thus have no break in service.

Why do you care about avoiding a break in service? The main reason for a 2x passed over regular officer is promotion. The rules state that to meet a board, you must have at least 1 year of continuous service (regular list and reserve active status list). So if you have a break in service when you switch to ARC, you will not meet the next promotion board in the ARC which occurs in the following year, which means your board will be your 2nd year in the reserve (because you will then have had 1 year of continuous service on the reserve active status list).

BLAB (bottom line at the bottom): scroll now or you will get less money.

Thanks!

These numbers do not fill me with hope as a 12B.

It all comes down to the DP vs P. And apparently if you are a P you need the silver bullet or some other stratified P or else your ed.

For those of you who didn’t make the cut, I would call AFPC immediately and talk to the promotions counsellor (believe her name is Autumn Foley). If you see or find a mistake in your record, you can submit a request to meet a supplemental board. It’s worth a shot. As one who didn’t make the grade, it’s a shitty feeling, but not the end of your career. If you choose to stay in, find the job that’s best for you and your family. And realistically, unless you can earn a APZ DP, your not getting promoted. It’s an imperfect, brutal system.

• Upvote 1