Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

35 minutes ago, 14N Guy said:

Same here. Looking at reserve and ANG openings. Everybody is telling me to push through the last 4.5 years but I don’t know if I can sit in some back office, in some job nobody cares about, that doesn’t have any meaningful work to do just to collect a paycheck.

I don’t want to have to PCS 1-2 more times to sit in jobs I have no motivation to do and, frankly, don’t care about just to retire at 20.

As far as my push line went (for anybody interested in comparing), I had 2 WG/CC strats (both top 35%), Sq/CC and SDE push. I also had the magic C on my other bullets. My first 8 OPRs didn’t have any strats in them but my last 6 have. The strangest thing to me is that on my O-4 PRF I was a DP and my records have improved since then.

oh well. Good luck to everyone else.

Not my place to offer advice, but...

That check of the month club is not something to just write off with 4.5 left.  Hurts now; pays off for a lifetime later (been there, done that).

Not ever a 14N, however, there are lots of either meaningful and/or personally rewarding niche jobs out there for 14Ns.  Worked with 'em lots - Green door stuff, three-letter agencies, etc. that The Man has to fill but doesn't care about.  Get in there or somewhere like that, do a good job, and your post-AF career will take care of itself.  The clearance(s) and contacts are worth $$.  Don't just toss 'em.

This isn't about The Man anymore; this is about you and your family and what is best for them.

If you have post-AF plans/dreams, by all means, disregard all.

If not, set yourself up now for doing well after hanging up the uniform.  Big Blue doesn't care now and won't then.  

Hang tough; it's not personal (however much it feels that way), just numbers on a excel somewhere.

Edited by brickhistory
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, brickhistory said:

That check of the month club is not something to just write off with 4.5 left.  Hurts now; pays off for a lifetime later (been there, done that).

Not ever a 14N, however, there are lots of either meaningful and/or personally rewarding niche jobs out there for 14Ns.  Worked with 'em lots - Green door stuff, three-letter agencies, etc. that The Man has to fill but doesn't care about.  Get in there or somewhere like that, do a good job, and your post-AF career will take care of itself.  The clearance(s) and contacts are worth $$.  Don't just toss 'em.

This isn't about The Man anymore; this is about you and your family and what is best for them.

If not, set yourself up now for doing well after hanging up the uniform.  Big Blue doesn't care now and won't then.  

Hang tough; it's not personal (however much it feels that way), just numbers on a excel somewhere.

All excellent points.

I think most of it is me being a queepy little b**** right now.

• Haha 1

I'm right there with you man.  Expecting my second rejection on Tuesday.  Hoping it isn't as painful as the first time around but sure it's still going to be a kick square to the junk all the same.  Hopefully they're offering continuation.  Since that first rejection and post stages of grief, it's been liberating to no longer chase after that next "must do this for promotion" job though. I'll always do what needs to be done to not let down my unit or Bros but I can focus on doing stuff that's more meaningful to me and prep for life post USAF.  It's also fun speaking ones mind with little fear of pissing off the boss, cause what's he gonna do, not promote me?  Best of luck in figuring it all out though, it's never easy.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, soupafly06 said:

I'm right there with you man.  Expecting my second rejection on Tuesday.  Hoping it isn't as painful as the first time around but sure it's still going to be a kick square to the junk all the same.  Hopefully they're offering continuation.  Since that first rejection and post stages of grief, it's been liberating to no longer chase after that next "must do this for promotion" job though. I'll always do what needs to be done to not let down my unit or Bros but I can focus on doing stuff that's more meaningful to me and prep for life post USAF.  It's also fun speaking ones mind with little fear of pissing off the boss, cause what's he gonna do, not promote me?  Best of luck in figuring it all out though, it's never easy.

Right there with ya.  I might have an “I’m going to the airlines! Freedom!” party this Wednesday. 

Praying they thoroughly jack it up and deny me continuation too.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 14N Guy said:

Same here. Looking at reserve and ANG openings. Everybody is telling me to push through the last 4.5 years but I don’t know if I can sit in some back office, in some job nobody cares about, that doesn’t have any meaningful work to do just to collect a paycheck.

I don’t want to have to PCS 1-2 more times to sit in jobs I have no motivation to do and, frankly, don’t care about just to retire at 20.

As far as my push line went (for anybody interested in comparing), I had 2 WG/CC strats (both top 35%), Sq/CC and SDE push. I also had the magic C on my other bullets. My first 8 OPRs didn’t have any strats in them but my last 6 have. The strangest thing to me is that on my O-4 PRF I was a DP and my records have improved since then.

oh well. Good luck to everyone else.

Interesting.  I’m in a similar boat with bad OPR for the first 6 years.    Nothing but good ones since, but I didn’t get a DP to Major.... didn’t even make Major actually.  

But now I think I’m set up rather well for Lt Col when ipz hits.  

If your wg/cc strats were Maj strats, then that rather odd.   

As someone already said, 75% DP rate to major is much different than the 50% rate to Lt Col 

Yea, I think what I was trying to say about the DP is that I didn’t understand how I got a DP for my O-4 board (based on my records leading to that point), then my records have improved every year since then and still got passed over for O-5 IPZ and now APZ. I should have clarified that I wasn’t trying to compare the DP rates and I can see how it came across like that.

I didn’t expect a DP for any of my O-5 PRFs but what bugs me the most is that when I ask for any type of feedback on why I got passed over, all I get from my leadership is, “I don’t know, all boards are different”.

The strats were DO strats. In the 14N world, DOs are boarded positions and I’m not 100% sure that translates to big blue.

1 hour ago, 14N Guy said:

I didn’t expect a DP for any of my O-5 PRFs but what bugs me the most is that when I ask for any type of feedback on why I got passed over, all I get from my leadership is, “I don’t know, all boards are different”.

That’s weak management, AF standard...

1 hour ago, Spinner said:

That’s weak management, AF standard...

unfortunately it's also true.  good leaders are often just as surprised as everyone else when a good person gets passed over.  unless you're on the board (or it's clear from the record) it's often just a O-6 guessing as to why you were passed over.

6 hours ago, 14N Guy said:

Yea, I think what I was trying to say about the DP is that I didn’t understand how I got a DP for my O-4 board (based on my records leading to that point), then my records have improved every year since then and still got passed over for O-5 IPZ and now APZ. I should have clarified that I wasn’t trying to compare the DP rates and I can see how it came across like that.

The strats were DO strats. In the 14N world, DOs are boarded positions and I’m not 100% sure that translates to big blue.

Wow.  That sucks dude.  I remember sitting bitch queep work at wing CAG and reviewing the incoming 14N Lt/Jr Capt OPR's with no strats and discussing forcefully with the Sq/CC's they needed to get the good people numbers.  Never got that done.  I've talked with a few 14N Lt Col's afterwards and they all said no one gets strats at that level.

I still don't understand it.

2 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

Wow.  That sucks dude.  I remember sitting bitch queep work at wing CAG and reviewing the incoming 14N Lt/Jr Capt OPR's with no strats and discussing forcefully with the Sq/CC's they needed to get the good people numbers.  Never got that done.  I've talked with a few 14N Lt Col's afterwards and they all said no one gets strats at that level.

I still don't understand it.

I actually had an O-6 get visibly upset with me when I asked why I didn’t get a strat after winning FGOY at the A2 level. The A2 took it as me questioning its command decision instead of me asking what else I needed to do to get a strat.

In the 14N community strats are like fight club. They are never spoken of by ratees.

Edited by 14N Guy

Any details on any of you getting passed over?  P?  DP?  I'm a 4 APZ with a DP.. 

If you look at the past stats on AFPC, having the DP is what’s important. If your IPZ or 3APZ, doesn’t really matter, just having the DP is vital. Good luck brother

On 10/5/2018 at 4:01 PM, brickhistory said:

How hard has it been to find Reserve jobs with a steady availability of title 10 orders?

On 10/5/2018 at 8:23 PM, Chicken said:

Any details on any of you getting passed over?  P?  DP?  I'm a 4 APZ with a DP.. 

I'm a 1 APZ passed over with a P.  I was optimistic with so many pilots punching that my chances would be improved for this look...I guess last years 3% promote rate of APZs with a P still holds true. I'm considering reserve transition to get a real chance at O-5.  

15 minutes ago, Ash said:

I'm a 1 APZ passed over with a P.  I was optimistic with so many pilots punching that my chances would be improved for this look...I guess last years 3% promote rate of APZs with a P still holds true. I'm considering reserve transition to get a real chance at O-5.  

Did you do ASBC, then SOS in correspondence, then SOS in residence, then get a Masters, then ACSC in correspondence? 

Or did you just fail a PT test?

1 hour ago, IDALPHA said:

Did you do ASBC, then SOS in correspondence, then SOS in residence, then get a Masters, then ACSC in correspondence? 

Or did you just fail a PT test?

No ASBC. SOS-C/R, Masters and ACSC-C complete.  Never a failed PT test

2 hours ago, matmacwc said:

Statistically, you'd be wrong.

I realize that!

I’ll update you in 1.5 years.  I’ve got 5  Major strats from deployments and wg/gp levels

fgoq x5 so far at different places. 

Fgoy x1 so far 

perhaps all that matters is what your record looks like as an LT/early Captain....  very possible

perhaps all that matters is what your record looks like as an LT/early Captain....  very possible

I am very curious to find out what happens to you as I will be in the same situation in a few years. I made O4 as a 1 APZ and my last 3 OPRs are far superior to my first 6. But if LT/early Captain are all that matters I should bounce and not play the game.

1 hour ago, bennynova said:

I realize that!

I’ll update you in 1.5 years.  I’ve got 5  Major strats from deployments and wg/gp levels

fgoq x5 so far at different places. 

Fgoy x1 so far 

I hope it works out better for you then it did for me. My wins/strats were similar to what you posted, except I had 3 FGOY (Gp/A2 lvl), multiple Gp/A2 quarterlies and one MAJCOM FGOQ.

My Lt/Capt records were all average, no strats/only a couple quarterly awards and no negative indicators. I did have 2 OPRs where I didn't see eye-to-eye with my raters and my push lines were "ready for greater challenges" and "IDE look" (ironically, that same rating chain got me an O-4 PRF DP). I think those two OPRs really damaged my overall record.