Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

18 hours ago, FourFans130 said:

You think they care about convenience of proletariat, or anything even approaching common sense?  Much have you to learn, young padawan.

We must seize the means of production and promotion!

• Like 2

100% consideration for major was supposed to be determined by last Friday. Now it's pushed to the end of this week for a decision.
The old heads hate the fact individuals were promoted for doing absolutely nothing. The hate is real. This experiment will come back and bite us all. 

You're very opinionated.

~Bendy
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, FourFans130 said:

You think they care about convenience of proletariat, or anything even approaching common sense?  Much have you to learn, young padawan.

Haha fair enough.  I'm still suffering under the delusion I stand a chance after already being passed over once.  The better question for me is do I accept continuation of nah?

3 hours ago, soupafly06 said:

The better question for me is do I accept continuation of nah?

I'm right there with you.  I'm leaning toward accepting it as it allows me to time my exit.  But that works for my unique situation of being within 19 months of my ADSC right now.  Being forced to separate in the spring of 2019 only compresses any of my separation/retirement plans. 

If denying continuation allows you to bail on a significant ADSC, that's a pretty sweet ace to have in your hand.  Play it wisely.  The private sector, while lucrative, is unforgiving to the unprepared.

Since it has been brought up, has anyone heard any rumors about the current LTC board regarding promotion rates? I have heard that it will be a 91% promotion rate, but don't know if that includes APZ like the majors board did, or it will be 91% for IPZ and the standard 3% for APZ. Either way, I have a plan, but would like be able to figure out what I am doing for the next 4 to 5  years without waiting on AFPC or HAF A1s timeline.

Since it has been brought up, has anyone heard any rumors about the current LTC board regarding promotion rates? I have heard that it will be a 91% promotion rate, but don't know if that includes APZ like the majors board did, or it will be 91% for IPZ and the standard 3% for APZ. Either way, I have a plan, but would like be able to figure out what I am doing for the next 4 to 5  years without waiting on AFPC or HAF A1s timeline.

I like my chances at 91%.

10 hours ago, ruckerstud said:

So O-5 is the new O-4

Edited by panchbarnes

1 hour ago, ThreeHoler said:

Previous boards had ~75% total promotion rate so ~90% is a pretty big leap. Time will tell.

I don't think the increased promo opportunity is as significant as you think. I suspect the overall promotion opportunity will increase by just 6%. 

The overall promotion opportunity for the CY 17 O-6 LAF board was 85% (1,224 selected, out of 1439 IPZ eligibles). 

It just so happened that 122 were selected BPZ, and 57 were selected APZ, which meant just 72.6% (1,045 out of 1439) were selected IPZ. 

A 6% increase in promotion eligibility (from 85% to 91%) wouldn't be anything to sneeze at, but I don't think we're looking at a 15% increase in promotion rates to O-5 next board as you suggested in your post.

My (highly uneducated) guess---The AF will dip ever-further into the BPZ pool:

- They will have already promoted any quality APZ types, leaving the choice of selecting bottom-of-the-barrel (but experienced) IPZ types or high-speed (but  less experienced) BPZers. Seems more likely Big Blue will go with the youth movement. 

I know current CCs & DOs (as well as ADOs, etc., that work for them) have far less experience than their predecessors did 5 or 10 years ago, but it'll get even worse.

TT

Edited by TnkrToad
Fixed BPZ & APZ numbers

16 minutes ago, ThreeHoler said:

I thought BPZ was limited to 10% but maybe I was mistaken.

Looks like you're right; BPZs were 122 out of 1,224 total selected in the CY17 board (I realized I transposed the BPZ & APZ numbers in previous post--went back & fixed it). 

Quality control is gonna be tough. The pool of quality APZs will be used up, and Big Blue won't be able to promote any more  high-speed BPZers than they already are (maxed out at 10%). 

For those who meet the board in the zone, it'll be "no major left behind"--especially if the promo opportunity increases to 91%.

TT

On 7/13/2018 at 10:06 AM, TnkrToad said:

I don't think the increased promo opportunity is as significant as you think. I suspect the overall promotion opportunity will increase by just 6%. 

The overall promotion opportunity for the CY 17 O-6 LAF board was 85% (1,224 selected, out of 1439 IPZ eligibles). 

It just so happened that 122 were selected BPZ, and 57 were selected APZ, which meant just 72.6% (1,045 out of 1439) were selected IPZ. 

A 6% increase in promotion eligibility (from 85% to 91%) wouldn't be anything to sneeze at, but I don't think we're looking at a 15% increase in promotion rates to O-5 next board as you suggested in your post.

My (highly uneducated) guess---The AF will dip ever-further into the BPZ pool:

- They will have already promoted any quality APZ types, leaving the choice of selecting bottom-of-the-barrel (but experienced) IPZ types or high-speed (but  less experienced) BPZers. Seems more likely Big Blue will go with the youth movement. 

I know current CCs & DOs (as well as ADOs, etc., that work for them) have far less experience than their predecessors did 5 or 10 years ago, but it'll get even worse.

TT

We have already had DOs in our community who are 06 year group majors.

Edited by pawnman

Is there some hint here that increasing the "opportunity" to O-5 is a desirable thing? That's going to make any kind of difference...who gives a shit? It's purely a number in grade game, and O-5 becomes more vacant by the day and the number competing becomes lower as well.

"Best of what's left?"...please, that's always been true. It's a fact, used in sarcasm as some kind of point for those that feel they need it.

Every SQ/CC (with 2 exceptions) I've ever hooked up, is now flying for delta...make O-5, get command, join the line behind the passed over major.

Do what makes you happy and what you enjoy...I for one appreciate the people...I won't have these kinds of relationships in my next career...I'll missed that a lot.
The money will probably help, but I'll still miss them.

Last year captain is where it's at...if you move, blast straight to squadron command. There's no joy in ADO'ing; DO'ing for sure, but definitely not ADO'ing, unless your at a UPT base and hide in a flight as a chief pilot. (I don't know how to do this, it's just something I've heard happens).

~Bendy

• Like 2

No PSDM drop yet for the next majors board? I learned a few months back our flight docs do not receive a PRF. A letter is submitted for them. "Met all reqs. Promote!" "Did not meet all reqs, attempted to pop a cyst, thinking it was a pimple. DO NOT PROMOTE!" Just that simple.

A doc was asking me about whether or not he needs to submit a  PRF before his PCS. I was close to saying, "Damit Jim, I'm a pilot snacko, not a doctor." I made a call, and low and behold, no PRF for them. Just like SOS is optional for flight doctors.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

No PSDM drop yet for the next majors board? I learned a few months back our flight docs do not receive a PRF. A letter is submitted for them. "Met all reqs. Promote!" "Did not meet all reqs, attempted to pop a cyst, thinking it was a pimple. DO NOT PROMOTE!" Just that simple.

A doc was asking me about whether or not he needs to submit a  PRF before his PCS. I was close to saying, "Damit Jim, I'm a pilot snacko, not a doctor." I made a call, and low and behold, no PRF for them. Just like SOS is optional for flight doctors.

Well, it’s pretty hard to keep doctors around, so we had better find a way to retain that talent and experience. The Air Force has to be cautious with these kinds of things. Imagine an Air Force without doctors! Plus all of that specialized training and licensing, along with continually making life or death decisions...

And yet here we are, 11Xs.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, war007afa said:

Well, it’s pretty hard to keep doctors around, so we had better find a way to retain that talent and experience. The Air Force has to be cautious with these kinds of things. Imagine an Air Force without doctors! Plus all of that specialized training and licensing, along with continually making life or death decisions...

And yet here we are, 11Xs.

At least doctors don't have an easy transition to similar jobs on the outside.  Phew, where would we be then?

• Upvote 1